Thread: Audi 80 Quattro, to sell or not to sell?

1. Default Audi 80 Quattro, to sell or not to sell?

My mum asked me to get rid of her Audi 80 Quattro. She gave up her licence in April at age 90. For some reason space in her garage is more impoortant to her than a lack of space in my garage.

It was built in 93, has 94 compliance. It is the 2.6 litre with 139,000km on the clock and was always garaged. It still has Canberra Rego.
    While the paint looks good, the interior still suffered, I guess the interior was built for European UV levels.

Do I store it or sell it? What is it worth, given it is in reasonable condition for its age. In 4 years I could put vintage plates on it, is it worth the effort? Are there any decent vintage clubs near Batemans Bay to recommend?

My mums mechanic says they hate sitting idle, and it does seem to have had an oil leak as a result of sitting idle. His concern was the heater box corroding but I think I can easily by-pass the heater core under the hood.

The aircon is kaput, not a big deal on vintage rego. And one of the front brake callipers seems to be stuck, as one of the front wheels locks up under moderate to heavy braking.

Do I replace all the brake disks? Seems a rego inspector in 4 years time is likely to look at a half-worn disk and freak, and by then I may not be able to buy new disks.

I am after Advice or ridiculous offers.

My father before he passed insisted that I keep it. I am open to that, I try to do as I am told...

thanks for your thoughts on my dilemma.

This is the neverending story. Mums 96, has a one owner '74 V8 falcon ute which interests the Oz car brigade. Barn find at present. Might be worth a few bob in the future but it is no HO.

You have the 80 and associated issues as detailed.

I have my 1 owner 1.8TQ which is just like a new car with 130K up, worth heaps to me as an original and even more as NLA spare parts for my RS.

The perennial question, when does the ascension from junk status commence and will it ever be worth it. The V8 ute, requires every panel worked, total new interior after QLD summers, but mechanically its good. The 80, sound like it needs some work and parts are scarce. The B5 1.8TQ, needs absolutely nothing but to the general punter is worth less than nothing.

My comments, you need a buyer that wants that car or can be sold on the idea that it's a future goldmine. Otherwise it really doesn't have a value. Keep it for family reasons but it won't be cheap to get it up and running and keep it there. Maybe build another garage and do what your dad said.
    B5 RS4 : Lightly modified -- C5 2.7 allroad -- B5 A4 1.8 quattro 132 Kw -- UNIMOG 404 TLF8

3. The Following User Says Thank You to IchBautAuto For This Useful Post:

Canberra80 (August 31st, 2019)

The low kms makes it a good candidate for a vintage, but it'll need quite some elbow grease to get it to a collectible status. The value is only there for a fellow enthusiast. So, are you in it for the possibility of a financial return or to do as you were told by your dad? Neither are bad ideas and you're the only person who can answer that honestly.

Current:
    2004 A6 C5 Sedan 3.0 V6 Quattro
    2005 A6 C6 Sedan 3.2 V6 Quattro
    1999 A4 B5 Avant 2.4 V6

Retired:
    1990 100 Sedan 2.3
    1991 90 Sedan 2.3
    1999 A4 B5 Sedan 2.4 V6

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by broke90 View Post
    The low kms makes it a good candidate for a vintage, but it'll need quite some elbow grease to get it to a collectible status. The value is only there for a fellow enthusiast. So, are you in it for the possibility of a financial return or to do as you were told by your dad? Neither are bad ideas and you're the only person who can answer that honestly.

I am realistic enough to accept there is not likely to be a financial return.
    But I think my father had possible future financial return in mind when he said keep it.

It is too nice to give away to some kid as a first car to trash.

Which leaves me with the keep it running at an acceptable level for vintage plates, or find someone on a site like this who is less likely to trash it in a hurry. Given I dont have much space and already have a hoarding problem, the latter is the preferred option.

Quote Originally Posted by Canberra80 View Post
    I am realistic enough to accept there is not likely to be a financial return.
    But I think my father had possible future financial return in mind when he said keep it.

It is too nice to give away to some kid as a first car to trash.

Which leaves me with the keep it running at an acceptable level for vintage plates, or find someone on a site like this who is less likely to trash it in a hurry. Given I dont have much space and already have a hoarding problem, the latter is the preferred option.

Its always a difficult decision what to do with an older car, keep it, sell, restore it, there is no right answer. IMO a 2.6 80Q for me is not a collectable but each to their own. If you keep it there are still brake spares that are still readily available, there is also quite a bit that takes a lot of google time to track down but can be found. If you want to restore to original or better this will take a lot of time and cash. The current exchange rate doesn't help either ATM.

Another option would be to part it out. There are always people looking for subframes, diffs, these will fit the 90Q, and other running gear. This would give you a dollar return but once you start pulling off wheels and brakes you end with a shell that is difficult to move around which can cause more heartache than its worth.

No right answer, just do what you are happy with.
    Current - 2007 B7 RS4 Avant, APR Stage 3, Milltek with Hi Flo Cats, GruppeM intake, Sachs Clutch, Factory Ceramics, JHM Shifter, RS6 FBSTW, AMI & Hi Res RSNE
    Current - 2012 B8 A4, 2.0T Quattro Avant SLine
    Current - 2001 B5 S4 Imola Yellow Avant
    Current - 1989 B3 90 Quattro - 7A NA Engine, (Long Term Restoration Project)
    Current - 1984 WR Ur Quattro

Help us , Id love to see (pics) of this car- throw up some pics man!
    Ed
    '99 Quattro, stroked 2L
    Concept, tune and build by QMS
    EFR 6758, Bosch 1000cc, E85 @7bar, Bosch 413 in 034 surge tank. VVT cam timing upgrade. Controls by Eurodyne boost manager, V8 MAF, LC1, EGT. JE 9:1, 13kg 2L Crank, 475gm rods, Ferrea , Dowel pin crank, IE tensioner, 034 Pheno Spacer, FX400 240mm x6, Apikol SMIC, Miltek 2.75 Koni coils, Stoptech BB, Powerslot Rear, SS lines, 034 G/b, Apikol Diff mounts, APR snub mount.