Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Considering an Audi C5 S6

Just read my previous response. Didn't mean it to sound so blunt.

Quote Originally Posted by jsol View Post
    My B5 V8 was an auto to start with. The S6 wouldn't be any more difficult. The RS6 takes a bit of fricking around due to the different block and crank/flywheel.
    That's interesting, all my reading has shown the RS engine is based on the S6 block and the RS and the C5 S6 also share the auto box. Is that flawed? Clear I'm talking about the C5 S6 with the sport auto box, not the PFL model. The RS differences that I recall included a double drive plate on the crank. I'm sure that I'll get on top of the detail once I get my other jobs sorted.
    B5 RS4 : Lightly modified -- C5 2.7 allroad -- B5 A4 1.8 quattro 132 Kw -- UNIMOG 404 TLF8

S6 definitely has 8 bolt crank same as A6.

S6 definitely has 8 bolt crank same as A6.
    Yes, referring to the RS6 Study Guide, the RS uses the standard S6 crank, modified for a 10 hole flange drive plate. I've just read about a build where the owner used an ANK crank in a BCY engine to give flexibility for flywheel choice. Clearly the internals and heads etc have been given the Mahle treatment so there are differences between the the two as there are with the B5 S4 and RS4. Nevertheless, the AUDI docs all state that the BCY engine was developed using the S6 ANK engine as the base. I would take from this that when it comes to bolting up a bell housing to the BCY block, it should be identical to the ANK block in that regards. The flywheel arrangements may well differ depending on what you can fit to the crank you use.
    B5 RS4 : Lightly modified -- C5 2.7 allroad -- B5 A4 1.8 quattro 132 Kw -- UNIMOG 404 TLF8

Just read my previous response. Didn't mean it to sound so blunt.
    Missed that post, not a problem and I didn't even notice anything that wasn't sharp. Economy of words can be a virtue (to some).

I'm sure there is a lot of similarities between the RS6/S6. The blocks are different though as the webbing on the rear of the BCY block differs to the ANK. You can bolt a 01E/A straight up to the ANK block, not the BCY.

Thanks, haven't got to that level of detail and as any future use for me would firmly keep the auto box so a conversion would not be on the cards. Nevertheless, good to know the differences for interests sake.