Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Considering an Audi C5 S6

Default Considering an Audi C5 S6

Just to put it out that I'm thinking about a C5 S6 and if anyone has one coming on the market, give me a shout. This is to replace my allroad for interstate runs and some local get about. The allroad is in fine form so it isn't urgent and allows me to wait for the right car.

Happy to consider any miles up, in return it needs to have a solid service history with no fault codes and be in great condition. Only really considering late 2002 onwards with the sport transmission and standard height suspension. The suspension height was the only thing that stopped me buying Vrooms car put up on here earlier this year.

Happy to travel just about anywhere to look at the right car.
    C5 RS6: APR, Milltek & Wagner -- B5 RS4 : tastefully modified -- C5 2.7 allroad -- B5 A4 1.8 quattro 132 Kw -- UNIMOG 404 TLF8

Interesting choice from forced induction to NA V8? Would be a good interstate cruiser though.

Why not consider a C5 RS6? IMO they seem like a great buy now and relatively solid car as far as I know. Would look very nice sitting in the stable next to your RS4.

Quote Originally Posted by don View Post
    Interesting choice from forced induction to NA V8? Would be a good interstate cruiser though.

Why not consider a C5 RS6? IMO they seem like a great buy now and relatively solid car as far as I know. Would look very nice sitting in the stable next to your RS4.
    Just to clarify the situation, I'm not selling my RS4. I've recently did a Canberra / Perth return trip in it and it performed without fault. I think that Falco's recent issue where a relatively minor prang resulted in a write-off highlights the problems with any sort of body damage with the classic cars and NLA parts. I don't treat the RS as a garage queen but it definitely does not get used as a DD around my area, some the drivers have all the worst habits known to man.

I use the allroad for a DD and the frequent trips to Brisbane on the Newell mostly. Last trip up the Newell, back the New England and the road kill body count per Km far exceeded the Eyre / Nullarbor count. The allroad is in fact an ideal cruiser and it would be far ahead of the RS6 in that capacity if the roads are taken into account. However, a change for changes sake is possible and my assessment is that you will be hard pressed to go past the C5 package in one form or the other.

The C5 RS6 circa $30K. The C5 S6 circa $10K. Sitting in the drivers seat you won't know the difference on any major highway where the HWP are present. $20K for nothing more than 100HP is expensive in my mind. The car would be a highway cruiser and RS suspension isn't as kind on some highways and the clearance is marginal. And of course, regular use = regular maintenance and the RS access is far worse that the S6 so the potential for an engine out to change an O2 sensor for example is much higher.

Finally of course, the RS6 values are not stellar. An RS4 of equivalent condition fetches far more so the $20K premium looks even more shaky. Not to say that I wouldn't want an RS6, just that they do not stack up in most ways if you actually want to drive it a lot. Of course, if you did find a near perfect example then you might not want to use it as much.

The alternative view :)
    C5 RS6: APR, Milltek & Wagner -- B5 RS4 : tastefully modified -- C5 2.7 allroad -- B5 A4 1.8 quattro 132 Kw -- UNIMOG 404 TLF8

C5 S6 is a really solid car if maintained. The attraction as I see it is you get a lot of car for the money. Because the outlay is small you can drive, park it anywhere without stressing out, like you would with something worth more $$$$$.

Thank makes sense. Probably wouldn't want to run up miles on an RS6. I would think the NA V8 would also be quite economical cruising on the highway. Is that model before direct injection?

Quote Originally Posted by jsol View Post
    C5 S6 is a really solid car if maintained. The attraction as I see it is you get a lot of car for the money. Because the outlay is small you can drive, park it anywhere without stressing out, like you would with something worth more $$$$$.
    Spot on!

Quote Originally Posted by don View Post
    Thank makes sense. Probably wouldn't want to run up miles on an RS6. I would think the NA V8 would also be quite economical cruising on the highway. Is that model before direct injection?
    Doubt if there is much in the fuel economy when in cruise. Completely different if you give it a prod. No point in owning it if you don't drive it. Fully understand the mint collectable idea and it applies for a few cars but for many in the long term you just get a low mileage car that is worth little and you can no longer support it with parts it to drive it at that stage. None of the new guys marvel at the power, you can get an RS3 for cheap that'll level peg it easily and be more city friendly (and has all the new electronic fruit that I don't even use). Absolutely no doubt the RS was a good car and the C5 range if I recall was world car of the year for a year or two, so top of the pops in the mid 2000's. I'd buy one if it was more reasonably priced for it's future potential but it's a totally different concept to the RS4, where many of those issues were easy to resolve in the earlier days.

That S6 has the lot, in terms of a belt drive timing system instead of the chain. A lot like the B5 2.7 motor. Enough power so you don't need to worry about turbos. One MAF. This is all a bit first world, I have more than enough cars but I'm keen to try the ownership compromise of bigger engine and no turbos. They don't get a huge workout in the allroad.

I'd love to get one and manual swap it.

The holy grail of Audi mods it seems. It's been done and reading up just a little it seems like a serious job.

My B5 V8 was an auto to start with. The S6 wouldn't be any more difficult. The RS6 takes a bit of fricking around due to the different block and crank/flywheel.