Thread: Traffic sign recognition

Default Traffic sign recognition

I have a 2019 Q5 Sport. I am curious about the traffic sign recognition. How does this differ from what is displayed in the MMI? I see I can get a dongle to activate it in my model. Is it worth it?

The display shown on the MMI is embedded data from the map, this is only current to the date of the maps so could be out if. The traffic sign recognition uses the front camera to read speed signs and will display this on the vertical cockpit. In Europe it uses a combination of various information like real time traffic data, camera images and map data to confirm the speed.
    Here in Australia not all road speed signs are acknowledged so no reading is shown or the actual speed is inaccurate.
    I monitor an Australian VW forum where they have activated TSR and the general talk is where it is handy it is not really that good. I have tried it on my Golf and all it really did was remove the map display speed and place it in front of me in the dash. After a couple of days I returned back to the non TSR coding as I have been happy with the map data and prefer it being central to view. The other problem was it could not read signs driving into the sun or ones obscured.
    If you can activate TSR at little cost (Ross Tech cable or ODB11) than have a go, good luck finding the right coding first. If you are looking at paying big dollars for the dongle then confirm first that it will work.
    Big car - FY Q5 150kw TDI quattro sport, all option boxes ticked.
    Little car - VW T-Roc 140kw TSI 4motion R Line, all option boxes ticked.

Thanks Stitch. That's helped to make up my mind. Wont bother with it.

Quote Originally Posted by stitch View Post
    If you can activate TSR at little cost (Ross Tech cable or ODB11) than have a go, good luck finding the right coding first. If you are looking at paying big dollars for the dongle then confirm first that it will work.
    On MLBevo platforms 2019> an updated Ross tech dongle is required. I have found the coding changes for TSR to work in Aus in a fusion mode combining data from vehicle maps and camera inputs. I believe the big trick now is to change the parameterisation of the camera (flash firmware). Will let you know how I go with this.
    > MY19 190kW 3.0 TDI

5. The Following User Says Thank You to evaddirbA4 For This Useful Post:

macy517 (April 16th, 2020)

Whatever you do don't use the Kufatek dongle method.
    Based upon my experiences with the Kufatek solution and the sarcastic, unhelpful German on the end of their help(less) line the Kufatec TSR dongle is a piece of cr*p.
    It did not work, it removed all the speed limit data from my MMI map display and they have adamantly refused to provide any further assistance with no refund despite shipping it back to them at my cost (in Germany).
    If there's anyone around in ACT who can RossTech TSR on my S4 I would be delighted to pay for their time.

Dingah
    Last edited by Dingah; April 16th, 2020 at 12:07 PM.
    Dingah

2015 SQ5 TDI Sold
    2017 RSQ3 Performance Sold
    2018 S4
    Mrs B's Tiguan R-Line + APR

Quote Originally Posted by Dingah View Post
    It did not work, it removed all the speed limit data from my MMI map display
    To reverse the Krapfatec dongle result and get map speed data back, I suggest the following.....

Via Ross Tech dongle access the 5F Control unit & using Adaptions check that all the parameters below are set to "not activated" , then reboot your MMI (may not be described exactly the same, but very similar)

ENG122227-ENG117636-Car_Function_Adaptations_Gen2-menu_display_road_sign_identification
    ENG122227-ENG117637-Car_Function_Adaptations_Gen2-menu_display_road_sign_identification_clamp_15_off
    ENG122227-ENG117638-Car_Function_Adaptations_Gen2-menu_display_road_sign_identification_over_thresho ld_high
    ENG122227-ENG117639-Car_Function_Adaptations_Gen2-menu_display_road_sign_identification_standstill
    ENG122227-ENG117640-Car_Function_Adaptations_Gen2-menu_display_road_sign_identification_after_discla imer
    ENG122229-ENG117754 - Car FunctionList BAP Gen 2 tsr 0x21

> MY19 190kW 3.0 TDI

I heard that it wasn't activated in Australia because we sometimes have different speeds for Trucks and cars displayed beside each other, if you've ever driven into Wollongong you'll know what I mean, but the feature would be handy.
    1997 A3 1.8T sold
    2000 TT quattro sold
    2005 Lava Grey A3 2.0 TFSI DSG Sportback, Open Sky, roof racks, Vienna Leather. Sold
    2006 Black A4 2.0 TFSI S-line Quattro Avant Sold
    2009 White A4 2.0 TFSI Quattro Avant, Open Sky roof, MMi+ 19" rims, Bang and Olufsen, adaptive cruse, Oak Beaufort trim. Sold
    2016 A4 Quattro sport Avant, Manhattan Gray, Panno roof, Technik package, Assistance package. Sold
    2018 S4 Avant, Sports diff, S performance package, Technik package, honeycomb grille, Nardo Grey Wrap.

Most kind and thank you but I no longer have/use a RossTech dongle/cable - hence my request for any Canberra based RossTech owner/user to put their hand up.
    Speed data not really an issue as I use Apple CarPlay and TomTom or Waze for Nav and each has real time speed limit vs GPS groundspeed data displayed.

Dingah

Quote Originally Posted by evaddirbA4 View Post
    To reverse the Krapfatec dongle result and get map speed data back, I suggest the following.....

Via Ross Tech dongle access the 5F Control unit & using Adaptions check that all the parameters below are set to "not activated" , then reboot your MMI (may not be described exactly the same, but very similar)

ENG122227-ENG117636-Car_Function_Adaptations_Gen2-menu_display_road_sign_identification
    ENG122227-ENG117637-Car_Function_Adaptations_Gen2-menu_display_road_sign_identification_clamp_15_off
    ENG122227-ENG117638-Car_Function_Adaptations_Gen2-menu_display_road_sign_identification_over_thresho ld_high
    ENG122227-ENG117639-Car_Function_Adaptations_Gen2-menu_display_road_sign_identification_standstill
    ENG122227-ENG117640-Car_Function_Adaptations_Gen2-menu_display_road_sign_identification_after_discla imer
    ENG122229-ENG117754 - Car FunctionList BAP Gen 2 tsr 0x21

Last edited by Dingah; April 17th, 2020 at 08:10 AM.
    Dingah

2015 SQ5 TDI Sold
    2017 RSQ3 Performance Sold
    2018 S4
    Mrs B's Tiguan R-Line + APR

HI all.

I know this is an old thread, but looking to see if there is updated information.

I have a 2016 q7. A guy Iíve been getting to do a bunch of stuff for me from the UK has activated tsr on my car (expecting it may not work - but wanted to trial it).

whilst it has been successfully activated, it appears to not work

After I start the car, it will be display a message on the dash saying it has not yet identified any signs (despite me driving past a number of them).

After a few minutes it then comes up with a message saying the feature is not available in this country.

The word on the street is that there is apparently an elusive dataset available for Australia, but itís heavily guarded. Iím not sure how accurate this is.

anyone got any current info on getting tsr working in Australia?

im currently driving a hire car (Isuzu MUX) and even it has it!

cheers

Dave

What setting have you got for road sign detection?
    See - Control unit/ A5/ Adaptation/ Road sign detection fusion mode.
    if you have it set to "Road sign fusion" it won't work here in Australia. You need to try "Road sign detection".
    Road sign detection mode will only read actual signs, not match data on your map.
    Big car - FY Q5 150kw TDI quattro sport, all option boxes ticked.
    Little car - VW T-Roc 140kw TSI 4motion R Line, all option boxes ticked.