Thread: 2017 Q5 MMI restarts itself while driving

1. Unhappy 2017 Q5 MMI restarts itself while driving

Hi All,

I have a 2017 (MY18) Q5 Design where the MMI loves to randomly restart itself while driving along. The screen goes black for around 15 seconds and then you see the usual Audi A5 logo and it initialises again the same as when the car starts. The black screen period is longer than when you start the car normally. If playing music, the system will go back to playing the song that was playing the last time you switched off the car, not what was playing at the time of the reboot/crash/restart.

It doesn't seem to matter what function is selected at the time, nor does it matter how long you've been driving, or if it's hot or cold. It's totally random, might do it twice a day or once a week.

Local dealer took a look but of course it didn't do it while they had it and there were no fault codes logged so they couldn't fix it. What was interesting, though, is that they claimed they didn't do anything to the car when they had it but then it didn't play up for the following 6 weeks.

Has anyone else come across this issue?

Cheers,
    Dave

I haven't had the same experience, but I would say either loose wire(s), or a faulty unit..

Surprising that the scan didn't pick anything up. Might be worth taking to an independent to see if they can scan and find anything...