Thread: Dreaded engine light again B7

Default Dreaded engine light again B7

So brief over view, purchased a 2.0 TFSI Quattro 2 1/2 years ago 114,000 km and since then engine light comes on for various periods of time, 3 days to 3 weeks and will go off on its own sometimes and be off for weeks to 2 months.
    Its been to 4 different mechanics the last a VAG mechanic. Always comes up with lean running with last time replacing boost control valve and doing smoke test on intake to check for leaks.
    Before I go back and spend more than the $2000 I have already spent on this issue, has anyone had a tricky ongoing issue such as this that may be able to shed some light?
    Second last mechanic found the following codes were up P2187, P0299, P2181 but don't know what came up last time except reported lean again

Quote Originally Posted by BRG View Post
    $2000 I have already spent on this issue
    it would help to know what you spent that 2k on mate so people don't suggest things you have already done. has the oxygen sensor been replaced or cleaned? is the car standard or has it been mapped? has the HPFP fuel cam follower ever been replaced?
    Last edited by guile; September 21st, 2019 at 02:15 PM.

Hi thanks, always lots of labour looking for the issue in that $2000 but PCV, spark plugs and upstream O2 sensor (gen Audi ) plus the boost control valve mentioned. What is the HPFP follower you mention and how does it effect the engine?
    Just learning as I go, regards Ian

no probs, see link below to cam follower...

https://www.uspmotorsports.com/Cam-F...I-VW-Audi.html

i'm no expert on these engines but i was thinking low fuel pressure could be a cause of your mil. i'm not sure if a worn cam follower would cause low pressure or just fail and toast your engine but i would be checking it for wear at 114,000 regardless...

has your car been mapped? the MAF would be my next guess after the oxygen sensor seeing as you have replaced that already. i would doubt it is the downstream oxygen sensor causing the issue. i have spares in both up and down if you need to borrow them to trouble shoot...

I also have a spare G410 fuel pressure sensor if you need to borrow that too...

https://www.uspmotorsports.com/G410-...re-Sensor.html

Appreciate your help and offers, interesting no one has suggested the follower, looks to be an important replacement at intervals too! So the 2 1/2 years I have had this issue I have now done 145,000 km total so I think it would have gone terminal if it was the follower, but I will get it done anyway I think.
    So after your MAF suggestion I googled some more (it's not mapped) and am thinking it is related to this. Once every 6 months it won't start and I do notice the trans does oddball shifting ( or won't shift up and down at times on light throttle )
    Should I replace the MAF sensor or parts of it first? Any help appreciated

Quote Originally Posted by BRG View Post
    the last a VAG mechanic.
    Hi Ian,
    What you need now is somebody with a VCDS Cable and knows how to use it and diagnose ,
    Anyone can pull codes and chuck parts at it.

Diagnostics (my) would start with this given your codes
    whats the air flow at idle? is it in the normal reporting range? look at that data in conjunction with the 02 sensor output (fuel trimming), expected throttlebody (TB) position and the expected fuel injection values.
    Which one is out? that can point the diagnostics in the right direction.

Is fuel pressure monitored? there are so many different paths depending on the outcome of each test its virtually impossible for someone here to guess at the problem.

If airflow values are down, and the TB values are low look for a vacuum leak attached to intake manifold. If Airflow and TB values are normal look at injection on time (fuel pressure)
    If airflow is down and TB is normal then you need to look for a leak on the intake pipe between maf and Turbo
    If airflow is down and TB is normal and No leaks on intake you unplug maf and see how injection period responds

and so on

good luck
    Ed
    '99 Quattro, stroked 2L
    Concept, tune and build by QMS
    EFR 6758, Bosch 1000cc, E85 @7bar, Bosch 413 in 034 surge tank. VVT cam timing upgrade. Controls by Eurodyne boost manager, V8 MAF, LC1, EGT. JE 9:1, 13kg 2L Crank, 475gm rods, Ferrea , Dowel pin crank, IE tensioner, 034 Pheno Spacer, FX400 240mm x6, Apikol SMIC, Miltek 2.75 Koni coils, Stoptech BB, Powerslot Rear, SS lines, 034 G/b, Apikol Diff mounts, APR snub mount.

Thanks Ed, understand there is a lot involved, it's finding that person and me understanding what the speak is. Unfortunately the first few were the, pull codes throw parts at it types, so will go back to the last guy and ask him more and if he has a 'plan' to work through as you have intimated.

i never get this lucky but for less than 20 bucks i'd give this a shot, quite literally...

https://www.liqui-moly.com.au/produc...eaner-aerosol/

Yep, cheaper than $2000 :) Let you know what happens