Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another C5 RS6 on the block.

Default Another C5 RS6 on the block.

In another section I mentioned that I had purchased a 2003 RS6. Like most owners, it'll take some time to come to grips with exactly what you have and what if any issues are there from the beginning. I did put a few hundred Km up before giving it over to the transport company to move it to the East Coast. No real issues were evident in the drive, it needs a wheel balance, with a slight wobble at 100 KPH. Otherwise no faults came up on VCDS and none were evident. The car is fitted with RNS-E Mk1, which is apparently not standard, and I need to get that sorted to do anything other than the basics. The RNS-E manual is in the hundreds of pages.

Shipping cars. I prefer to drive them but circumstances dictated a car transporter this time. What seems like a relatively cheap idea quickly turns out to be not so much when the fine print is on the table. The big sticking point, ground clearance. Every company assumes 150mm min clearance and as that decreases, the cost skyrockets. Seems like for every 10mm less clearance, you add $200. So in the end, with a clearance of 104mm, the cost comes in at just shy of $2000. Maybe there is someone cheaper but I didn't find them. So, their website says for that cost, you get a fully enclosed transporter, implying door to door.

Reality, it goes by train in a container to Melbourne and then by enclosed truck to the closest depot and then tilt-tray to the house. I'm sure that this company will deliver an unmarked car, they have a solid reputation, but those details are glossed over in the order process and a lot is left to assumption fueled by implied statements on the website. Yet to be delivered so thumbs up or down will come out in due course.

I've been doing a bit of reading, as you would, to get up to speed. With squeaky wheels getting the noise, the tales of woe are out there but some seem to have a good run. Anyway, I did come across what I think is the ultimate from my perspective. A local (QLD) owner purchased a 2003 RS6 in 2012 and sold it in mid 2014. He put up a blog for his ownership and in two and a half years of ownership he spent $64,000 on maintenance and repairs. Disclaimer: A few thousand of that were spent on an exhaust and a tune. This amount did not include any purchase price or loss on sale. This could be an enormous windup, but in reality he has detailed every issue, part numbers used and so on. First problem almost everything was done by AUDI so the man hour costs were enormous. Mostly genuine parts so a second contributor. Thirdly, he bought an OBD reader and used it often so sometimes came up with faults that may well have been rectified earlier than AUDI intended after all, the normal car only sees a computer analysis every 12 months by the service schedule. Looks like the last 6 months of his ownership were uneventful and his closing statement was along the lines of he only considered selling it once it became reliable.

Talk about getting you jollies by a whipping with barbed wire, but I have to acknowledge his commitment to resolving the issues that came up.
    C5 RS6: APR, Milltek & Wagner -- B5 RS4 : tastefully modified -- C5 2.7 allroad -- B5 A4 1.8 quattro 132 Kw -- UNIMOG 404 TLF8

Tony,

Twin Turbo V8, nice way to go.
    Current - 2007 B7 RS4 Avant, APR Stage 3, Milltek with Hi Flo Cats, GruppeM intake, Sachs Clutch, Factory Ceramics, JHM Shifter, RS6 FBSTW, AMI & Hi Res RSNE
    Current - 2012 B8 A4, 2.0T Quattro Avant SLine
    Current - 2001 B5 S4 Imola Yellow Avant
    Current - 1989 B3 90 Quattro - 7A NA Engine, (Long Term Restoration Project)
    Current - 1984 WR Ur Quattro

Quote Originally Posted by Tas_Audi View Post
    Tony,

Twin Turbo V8, nice way to go.
    It's no RS4, but it does have it's own character. Perhaps I'm somewhat fortunate in taking this on as a current RS4 driver so the power isn't a gee whiz moment, albeit it is quite spectacular. No doubt it's a chariot with all the trimmings.
    C5 RS6: APR, Milltek & Wagner -- B5 RS4 : tastefully modified -- C5 2.7 allroad -- B5 A4 1.8 quattro 132 Kw -- UNIMOG 404 TLF8

Quote Originally Posted by IchBautAuto View Post
    It's no RS4, but it does have it's own character. Perhaps I'm somewhat fortunate in taking this on as a current RS4 driver so the power isn't a gee whiz moment, albeit it is quite spectacular. No doubt it's a chariot with all the trimmings.
    Get a 034 motorsport tune. It wakes them up nicely.

Quote Originally Posted by Gregstv View Post
    Get a 034 motorsport tune. It wakes them up nicely.
    Tossing up between an off the shelf tune and a custom by Mocke in Sweden. Benefits on both sides but need to see what is currently there first. Like every purchase, things that happened under the previous two owners are sometimes a little vague as time passes.

I went with 034 due to be able to swap between tunes. Also can go back to standard as well. Came with stage 1 and 2. Also have a 100 octane tune. The tune box will read and clear fault codes as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Gregstv View Post
    I went with 034 due to be able to swap between tunes. Also can go back to standard as well. Came with stage 1 and 2. Also have a 100 octane tune. The tune box will read and clear fault codes as well.
    Pretty versatile, I have the same concept with REVO for my RS4. I'm a few years behind you in getting the options laid out and benefits sorted. Next time we meet up I'll be there with a pile of questions. In theory, just two days until delivery.

Looking forward to seeing it

Quote Originally Posted by IchBautAuto View Post
    In another section I mentioned that I had purchased a 2003 RS6. Like most owners, it'll take some time to come to grips with exactly what you have and what if any issues are there from the beginning. I did put a few hundred Km up before giving it over to the transport company to move it to the East Coast. No real issues were evident in the drive, it needs a wheel balance, with a slight wobble at 100 KPH. Otherwise no faults came up on VCDS and none were evident. The car is fitted with RNS-E Mk1, which is apparently not standard, and I need to get that sorted to do anything other than the basics. The RNS-E manual is in the hundreds of pages.

Shipping cars. I prefer to drive them but circumstances dictated a car transporter this time. What seems like a relatively cheap idea quickly turns out to be not so much when the fine print is on the table. The big sticking point, ground clearance. Every company assumes 150mm min clearance and as that decreases, the cost skyrockets. Seems like for every 10mm less clearance, you add $200. So in the end, with a clearance of 104mm, the cost comes in at just shy of $2000. Maybe there is someone cheaper but I didn't find them. So, their website says for that cost, you get a fully enclosed transporter, implying door to door.

Reality, it goes by train in a container to Melbourne and then by enclosed truck to the closest depot and then tilt-tray to the house. I'm sure that this company will deliver an unmarked car, they have a solid reputation, but those details are glossed over in the order process and a lot is left to assumption fueled by implied statements on the website. Yet to be delivered so thumbs up or down will come out in due course.

I've been doing a bit of reading, as you would, to get up to speed. With squeaky wheels getting the noise, the tales of woe are out there but some seem to have a good run. Anyway, I did come across what I think is the ultimate from my perspective. A local (QLD) owner purchased a 2003 RS6 in 2012 and sold it in mid 2014. He put up a blog for his ownership and in two and a half years of ownership he spent $64,000 on maintenance and repairs. Disclaimer: A few thousand of that were spent on an exhaust and a tune. This amount did not include any purchase price or loss on sale. This could be an enormous windup, but in reality he has detailed every issue, part numbers used and so on. First problem almost everything was done by AUDI so the man hour costs were enormous. Mostly genuine parts so a second contributor. Thirdly, he bought an OBD reader and used it often so sometimes came up with faults that may well have been rectified earlier than AUDI intended after all, the normal car only sees a computer analysis every 12 months by the service schedule. Looks like the last 6 months of his ownership were uneventful and his closing statement was along the lines of he only considered selling it once it became reliable.

Talk about getting you jollies by a whipping with barbed wire, but I have to acknowledge his commitment to resolving the issues that came up.

Re transport. MELB TO PERTH AND SAID CLEARANCE WAS TO BE 120MM. So had the Has springs set above that to get the front splitters at 120. Picked car up on Friday. One splitter is definately split literally but the worst thing is the car had zero creaks squeaks rat th les now it squeaks and creaks and rattles and have a 8mm bow on the rear door cards. Not exactly happy and picked up most of these issues after picking up the car and signing off. Cost was nearly half your quoted price wont mention the transporter yet as going through a process but was initially told 30 mins after picking up the car and noticing the above issues ( splitter was picked up at the depot before driving the car) after driving home from the depot, you signed off so bad luck.
    Last edited by smit2100; October 15th, 2019 at 01:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by smit2100 View Post
    Re transport. MELB TO PERTH AND SAID CLEARANCE WAS TO BE 120MM. So had the Has springs set above that to get the front splitters at 120. Picked car up on Friday. One splitter is definately split literally but the worst thing is the car had zero creaks squeaks rat th les now it squeaks and creaks and rattles and have a 8mm bow on the rear door cards. Not exactly happy and picked up most of these issues after picking up the car and signing off. Cost was nearly half your quoted price wont mention the transporter yet as going through a process but was initially told 30 mins after picking up the car and noticing the above issues ( splitter was picked up at the depot before driving the car) after driving home from the depot, you signed off so bad luck.
    Yep, already having issues. The car carriers tracking system has failed to proceed so no one knows for sure where the car is. Hoping to get this sorted today as it's due tomorrow. Even the best reputed companies do not necessarily provide a trouble free "experience".