Thread: Suspected timing chain rattle on start

Question Suspected timing chain rattle on start

Hi all,

Picked up my 2012 (MY13) Q7 102,000kms around 4 weeks ago and love it. I seem to now have what sounds very much like timing chain rattle at startup. Happens randomly. Can be hot/cold i.e after sitting all night or after only sitting for 10min.
    Being under warranty, sent it in, Also sent them videos of it happening because, as i expected, they couldn't get it to replicate the noise in the videos after having it for 2 days.
    What they've told me today is, someones used an aftermarket engine oil filter. Audi said that they have seen these engines take longer to build up oil pressure when certain aftermarket filters are fitted because of some built in valve, hence the chain rattle 'possibly'...
    Haven't seen the filter so not sure what that's about. They put a genuine engine oil filter back in it and said to see how it goes and bring it back if it does it again.

But I'm just wondering if anyone else has had or heard of this so called problem with different aftermarket filters?
    Thanks in advance

See videos in Link and tell me what you think. (Still rattling with genuine filter). Currently waiting on a response from the dealer.....

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/r1nxwctft3c4kzm/AABh6oZW3yn-qFqNSOEeCu18a?dl=0
    Last edited by Jase; October 24th, 2019 at 03:43 PM.

Guessing no one else has had this problem. What about timing chain rattle in general? (oil changed and filter genuine, still rattles)

I don't have a Q7 and have no knowledge of them specifically. Firstly, do you have any fault codes. I've heard of the non genuine approach on filters etc before but whether that is or could be a cause is open. What I would do is fit a temp oil pressure gauge and check for fault codes. Normal oil pressure with the rattle present would kill that argument. I'm sure that you'll have some resistance to solving the problem as they have a warranty on the car and won't want to pay out. Secondly, perhaps in their defence, is that these noises can at times be extraordinarily difficult to pin point. The fact that it can happen hot or cold is a problem in itself in the diagnostic sense. Good luck.
    C5 RS6: Sportec, Milltek & Wagner -- B5 RS4 : tastefully modified -- Audi 1.8 quattro 132 Kw -- UNIMOG 404 TLF8

Quote Originally Posted by IchBautAuto View Post
    I don't have a Q7 and have no knowledge of them specifically. Firstly, do you have any fault codes. I've heard of the non genuine approach on filters etc before but whether that is or could be a cause is open. What I would do is fit a temp oil pressure gauge and check for fault codes. Normal oil pressure with the rattle present would kill that argument. I'm sure that you'll have some resistance to solving the problem as they have a warranty on the car and won't want to pay out. Secondly, perhaps in their defence, is that these noises can at times be extraordinarily difficult to pin point. The fact that it can happen hot or cold is a problem in itself in the diagnostic sense. Good luck.
    There's no fault codes as yet. I know with other cars ive had, they taken on average around 2-3months to bring a code up. hence why im pushing whilst its under warranty. i was 99% confident it was a chain/tensioner issue just based on experience. its been a pain becuase like you said theyre not going to want to fork out big $. But... after having the car for a week, they called an hour ago and agree. booked in for timing chains in 2 weeks time.$7-10k audi told me last i spoke to them..... engine and gearbox out is obviously a big job. (im sure there's an 'audi dealer' mark up too). Glad im not paying
    I replaced timing chains on my other car i use for work. Cost me $900, holden quoted $4k....

Will be interesting to see afterwards. With so many saying its normal... yet audi have never heard it in this model before apparently. Its a waiting game now....

Quote Originally Posted by Jase View Post
    There's no fault codes as yet. I know with other cars ive had, they taken on average around 2-3months to bring a code up. hence why im pushing whilst its under warranty. i was 99% confident it was a chain/tensioner issue just based on experience. its been a pain becuase like you said theyre not going to want to fork out big $. But... after having the car for a week, they called an hour ago and agree. booked in for timing chains in 2 weeks time.$7-10k audi told me last i spoke to them..... engine and gearbox out is obviously a big job. (im sure there's an 'audi dealer' mark up too). Glad im not paying
    I replaced timing chains on my other car i use for work. Cost me $900, holden quoted $4k....

Will be interesting to see afterwards. With so many saying its normal... yet audi have never heard it in this model before apparently. Its a waiting game now....
    How'd you go with it all?