Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: New Member Rs359 First Audi

Caliper cleaned up a tad.

Ok so the vertical pic laid over again. I'll not be ginin around to sort the problem. Just down load the pic and rotate it using one of your programs if you like.

Please note the crud in and around some of the piston pads, especially the bottom left. Use a gentle plastic wire brush or tooth brush to clean these areas.

You can see the center bar and steel plates are missing here. They should all be cleaned and there associated contact points. Also provides unlimited access to the inside of the caliper.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Caliper cleaned up with plates and spreader bar re-instated.

Hub cleaned and applied copper grease. Rotor Cleaned.

Calliper with new pads re-instated on to new rotor.

Piston pads and all other contact points ( other than pad face) dabbed with appropriate type and amount of grease.

10mm Hex bolts torqued 110nm
    Last edited by Rs359; March 28th, 2021 at 11:42 PM.

New rotor and pads installed.

Fronts both sides done. Pad run in was good. No noise no vibrations, nothing untoward. Job went well.

Cheers

Nice work Rs359 - sounds like a job done right with the cleaning, copper grease, torque specs etc.

Satisfying to do this sort of stuff yourself sometimes - you know it's done right and no doubt the level of care and attention would surpass what you'd get from most workshops. Doesn't hurt that you also save a few bucks this way too.

Thanks for the write up and pics.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Alister For This Useful Post:

Rs359 (April 1st, 2021)

Cheers Alister.

I enjoyed the process. It's been a while since I have derived this level of satisfaction. I used to fly gyroplanes. I was the Aus/NZ distributor for a US brand of kit gyros. Doing quick builds for customers and being your own mechanic, responsible for servicing and maintaining your own aircraft, was as much fun as the flying.
    Being able to work on the RS3 affords a similar experience.
    I have the rear disc's and pads to do in the next few weeks and will post on that.
    Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by Rs359 View Post
    I have the rear disc's and pads to do in the next few weeks and will post on that.
    Nice one. Make sure you've got a diagnostic tool on hand to release the electronic parking brake.

Thanks Alister,
    All set. I purchased the OBD Eleven shortly after acquiring the Audi. It's a handy little device when you buy credits and play with the App. Great tool for knowing what's going on before taking the vehicle into service or repair. Keeping them honest. Have a great Easter.
    Cheers