Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Member Rs359 First Audi

Default New Member Rs359 First Audi

G'Day Folks,

I am in West Aus, Perth.

Purchased a 2017 RS3 a couple of months ago after having a a bad run with current model Ford Mustang 2018.

I like the RS3 though I have had some quirks with it.

When I bought the vehicle the ACC was working, in fact all the ADAS systems were working. A couple of days later the ACC stopped working and having the usual screen warnings referring me back to the manual and none of the suggested fixes working for me I 'Googled' the problem.

I was very annoyed that this was not covered under warranty. Seems Audi would recallibrate the radar unit for around $350-400 in Sydney. I approached Audi here in WA and was advised that I was up for $850.....
    Attending at the Audi dealership they established that I did not have the front license plate holder and for $460 they would order one in and perhaps the ACC would work as designed by doing this.
    Further when I challenged about the cost of recallibration compared to Sydney I was then advised $450 for the radar recallibration and if required the camera in the windscreen for lane keep assist etc, would add another $400 total being $850. I walked away.....Good thing I did. ( Note the lane keep assist was fully functional, so the camera was reading the white lines properly. )

I located a company that does ADAS recallibrations and was booked in to have the work done at half the price I'd been quoted by the dealership. ( Note. This company do some ADAS recallibration work for Audi. )
    Two weeks passed by and the day before I was due to have the work done, the ACC started to work again. I contacted the workshop and advised, he told me I was a lucky man.

Two months now and the ADAS systems all work as designed.

Second issue is I have a small amount of oil residue collecting on the Audi logo cover on the front of the engine. I do not know where this oil is coming from else where on the engine. It is possible I believe that there is a fine crack or pin hole that weeps tiny amounts of oil. I dont even know which part of the engine this is called but it is the front of the engine with the Audi rings on it as you look into the engine bay.
    I can post a pic or two once I find my way around the forum a little better.

I have gone ahead and purchased a OBD Eleven and upon checking faults of which there were 5 from memory one of which pertained the ACC I recorded and printed off the details.

13 Adaptive Cruise Control

System description: ACC BOSCH MQB
    Software number: 5Q0907572G
    Software version: 0571
    Hardware number: 5Q0907572G
    Hardware version: H10
    ODX name: EV_ACCBOSCHVW416
    ODX version: 001005
    Long coding: 3500E7C219FFC42474988055000026

Trouble codes:
    C110300 - Adaptive cruise control sensor misadjusted
    Passive

As stated the ACC started working inexplicably and I use the ADAS systems all the time and they work perfectly.

I think I have the 5 cent rattle in the exhaust system, though I cant feel any play in the left side valve as referenced in the threads found on this topic around the place.

Definitely hate the creaking sunroof and other roof lining noises. Here in the new suburbs of Perth the concrete kerbing IS your driveway entry and it makes for major flexing of the vehicle. Now I reverse out straight untill I get the rear wheels on the road before turning the front wheels. Makes for a little less noise.

The seating and position are not 'long drive' comfortable for me. Comparing it to the Mustang other larger Fords and the SS V Line it definitely takes some getting used to.

I'm 60 yrs old entry and egress is a practiced art.

I love the engine and drivetrain combo. The RS3 is amazingly quick and I do love the noises that the 5 cylinder produces.

There is some life left in the original rotors and pads though they will need changing out at some stage, though not as early as Audi might have stated.

I would very much appreciate any advice regarding the RS3 especially the ACC quirk and the oil leak. I have been an active member of various vehicle and rotorcraft forums over the years and plan to be an active contributing member here.

Cheers

Rs359

welcome mate... You are keen!!! 60 and getting a rs3... great decision, but it's not like getting in and out of a SS V line.... I've got a 'lowered' S5... I'm only 50 and I'm sure I don't look anything like elegant. Same for the drive/comfort. It's not terrible, but also not fantastic... That's the compromise. The way to change that would be to have a RS6 or RS7, but I can't afford either one of those, so I live with what I have..
    When I get to 'drive' my car properly, the above disappears quickly and it's worth it. Then again, if I had to drive to and from work for over an hour each was every day, it would probably be a different outcome.

So, back to your car. I wonder if your car has been in an accident and 'fixed'. If so, then there may be something 'loose', or not aligned correctly, hence the requirement for calibration (could have even been a small love tap that could have done it). I would get it to an independent and see what they say with scanning, and especially the oil leak. Cleaning the engine fully, then monitoring when the leak starts again should hopefully help you pin-point where it is..

Also, if you get your 'errors' reset with the scanner, you can monitor it to see if the error comes up's again, or it may not come back as it could have been during the guestimated bump...

3. The Following User Says Thank You to jnrdavo For This Useful Post:

Rs359 (October 11th, 2019)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to jnrdavo For This Useful Post:

I can't see why it isn't covered under warranty? I would have gone all the way to Audi Australia to question why
    MY18 RS3 Sportback | PP2 | Matrix | RSDP | Gloss Black package | Ara Blue | Opti Coat Pro+ | Tinting

Quote Originally Posted by jnrdavo View Post
    welcome mate... You are keen!!! 60 and getting a rs3... great decision, but it's not like getting in and out of a SS V line.... I've got a 'lowered' S5... I'm only 50 and I'm sure I don't look anything like elegant. Same for the drive/comfort. It's not terrible, but also not fantastic... That's the compromise. The way to change that would be to have a RS6 or RS7, but I can't afford either one of those, so I live with what I have..
    When I get to 'drive' my car properly, the above disappears quickly and it's worth it. Then again, if I had to drive to and from work for over an hour each was every day, it would probably be a different outcome.

So, back to your car. I wonder if your car has been in an accident and 'fixed'. If so, then there may be something 'loose', or not aligned correctly, hence the requirement for calibration (could have even been a small love tap that could have done it). I would get it to an independent and see what they say with scanning, and especially the oil leak. Cleaning the engine fully, then monitoring when the leak starts again should hopefully help you pin-point where it is..

Also, if you get your 'errors' reset with the scanner, you can monitor it to see if the error comes up's again, or it may not come back as it could have been during the guestimated bump...
    Thank you for the welcome and post jnrdavo.

Two cervical surgeries and knee replacement, with lower back surgery to come, that and my lady at 58 has had lower back and knee replacement and to use your words Davo far from elegant. We do joke about how long we will be able to get in and out of the vehicle. I guess not many older blokes are driving Rs3's or expecting their significant other to 'fall into the seat'.
    I bought the vehicle with 32,000 kms and with all checks carried out with paperwork and inspections belief is no accidents. Was one of the first things I inspected for personally.

I believe it may have had something to do with the dealership's placement of new number plates ( Large or std size for WA. ) The vehicle has previously had slimline plates. ( vehicle still has slim line backing plate at rear)
    The front has had the plastic backing plate removed as I see some folks do to get a cleaner look with slim line or personal plates. Anyway, the new plate in the Dealership plate holder surround hung down low and appeared to be obstructing the radar unit. This is what Audi told me when they looked at the vehicle prior to the planned Radar recalibration. That's when they offered to sell me the $460 plastic backing plate for the front of the vehicle. On that day Audi were to do the ADAS recalibration for $850, so now I'm looking at $1310 and I've had the vehicle for a fortnight. As stated I left without having anything done, booked in elsewhere and two weeks later it was all working again. I did relocate the front lic plate to a higher position and had washed both the radar unit and checked for flex or movement but this did not result in the ACC coming back on line at the time. I have checked for any signs of a possible 'love tap' and the only witness marks are some scuffing up under the front apron but nothing major. When man handling the front grille or apron there is very little flex. All clips and parts are as new so not sure.

With the purchase of the OBD Eleven and checking and clearing fault codes I was glad to see that the ACC fault code was there and interestingly the word 'passive'. So if I apply this know defenition explanation...."A passive activity involves watching, looking at, or listening to things rather than doing things." So maybe there was a tap or a bump or the radar unit was slightly obscured by the plate, the fault was noted and being monitored but found to be working so the ACC rebooted. I dont know. All the research I've done thus far this is a strange case but for me a good result. I did clear the codes on the OBD reader and have been monitoring fault codes and to date none of the codes that were up have returned. Incidentally one was for the sunroof switch, another for the instrument panel but everything is working.

I have taken a picture of the engine oil leak and will post soon.

The vehicle has 35,000 kms now and trips down through the south west are far more pleasant using the ACC as far as finding a reasonably comfortable driving position. I love a fast car when required and have always had V8's. Never been a 4 cyl turbo fella for lack of V8 rumble. This 5cyl turbo is a different beast to all previous and the transmission is fantastic. The turn of speed and associated noises are at times insane but always make me smile.......to much fun to be legal.

Thanks again Davo for the greeting advice and welcoming to the forum.

Cheers.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Rs359 For This Useful Post:

JA04STI (October 29th, 2019)

Quote Originally Posted by beanoyip View Post
    I can't see why it isn't covered under warranty? I would have gone all the way to Audi Australia to question why
    G'Day beanoyip.

100% on the same page. Couldn't understand why either. Still had 14 months of warranty and had the vehicle a week with ACC and all other ADAS systems working and suddenly it does not. Trust me, I was not my pleasant best the morning I had it booked in with Audi. The inferrence was made that because the front license backing plate had been removed this results in the ACC not being able to function as designed.

Anyway I could prattle on about Audi but I wont and I'll tell you why. These ADAS systems are turning up in all cars these days Kia's, Hyundai's all vehicle manufacturers are headed into Automated systems.
    To effectively have the systems recalibrated, after an accident for instance, they use a bunch of refelctive screens, mechanicle devices attached to the rear wheels, which relect laser beams back to the main boards and shoot lasers at radar sensors etc. No to mention recalibration of camera units which is done through recal programing of the camera unit itself. Dedicated PC/Laptops and scantool systems at play. It is serious business for all manufacturers to have these systems working correctly. So in the case of an accident some of the cost of windscreen/camera or radar unit recalibration may be absorbed in your insurance premium.

Take the example given to me by Audi....."You may have had an accident, hit a curb, run over a cat or a stone has hit your radar unit. Why should Audi pay to recalibrate your radar or camera?"

Well I had inspected the radar unit/cleaned and photographed to show no witness marks from stone chips. There'd been no cat terminations, no kerb hits and no vehicular accidents.

Audi will take your vehicle into service and check first ( so they say ) before doing any work and if they find your radar unit is faulty, then they will replace or repair under warranty.
    If however the radar unit is working but simply needs to be recalibrated then that is not a warranty issue, as per Audi. Other vehicle manufacturers are falling into line with this process, so its not just Audi. Having said that Kia salesmen for example are telling customers that they will pay for a recalibration for seven years but that is to be tested and seen yet to be true. My partners girl friend just bought top of the range Kia Sportage with all the ADAS.

I was pretty livid that a small pebble flicked up on the freeway could result in Audi hitting me up for $850 straight up for radar recalibration.

There are multiple threads on Audi forums all around the world that frustrated people who believe as you and I do beanoyip that if there are no signs of damage/accident/witness marks from pebbles to the radar unit/damage to the windscreen Camera unit and suddenly some part of your ADAS system is not working, then the expectation is ....."Hey warranty will cover that, surely!"

Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by beanoyip View Post
    VW for example want you to have a wheel alignment done at time of recalibration....so these ADAS systems whilst pretty neat are expensive little luxuries if things go wrong.
    Last edited by Rs359; October 11th, 2019 at 06:07 PM.

20191011_130043.jpg

Can't see where it could be coming from other than this cover having a tiny split or pinhole leak.

What is this cover called and what material is it made from?

Cheers.

Welcome mate - look forward to seeing your ride at a cars and coffee in the future :)
    Find me on YouTube @ Frax77

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Trance For This Useful Post: