Thread: Transporting cars

Default Transporting cars

On the rare occasion that I buy a car, I have been fortunate enough to be able to pick up and drive home so car transporting is a new game for me.

I bought in WA which is a few Km from home. Having just driven to WA and back mid year, and having a few other obligations to meet, I decided to transport the car from West to East.

THE common thread with car transporting is an assumed MINIMUM ground clearance of 150mm. With that you can get a car across country for less than $1000. As the ground clearance goes down, the cost goes up and it isn't linear. So, with a ground clearance of 104mm, prices were just shy of $2,000. Some carriers infer that you travel with them and some are open that they book with another company that can accommodate any specific needs.

Some research later, CEVA came up as THE company to use. They offer a Race and Prestige Transport service at a premium price and their website makes a big thing about your car traveling in an enclosed transporter and they offer a door to door service.
    RAPT.jpg

That sounds like a great idea at an Ouch price so the car was booked. I delivered it to the Perth Depot and they would deliver it to my house. A 30 minute inspection was undertaken and every last paintwork flaw was noted on a digital diagram plus photos taken. It was even remarked that the car wasn't freshly washed. This is at the Perth Depot. Clean enough I would think.
    pre-ship.jpg

Some time after payment it became evident that the delivery to the house was by Tilt Tray. Not a problem in itself but every load / unload has potential for damage so the less the better.

The company offers tracking and the first thing was to find out through the tracking service that it was actually going by RAIL from Perth to Melbourne (supposedly in a special container I was told later when I ask WTF). Absolutely no mention of this during the booking process, just how special RAPT was.

Car duly arrives in Melbourne and is unloaded from the train. It was supposed to go to the CEVA depot that day but it sat and sat (according to their tracking) until the next week I rang and asked WTF again. That day it moved to the Depot with some story about an excess of vehicles being moved. Paying twice the price does not get you any benefits with CEVA. Then it was scheduled for RAPT to Canberra and then the tracking inserted a days delay after it was loaded and supposedly departed. Contact with the company was largely unhelpful to downright evasive as time moved on.

The one very helpful person was the truck driver of the RAPT. He unloaded the car on his arrival in Canberra at night and I was able to pick it up. Clearly, any inspection was impossible in the street at night with occasional showers. What rolled off the truck was this.
    post ship.jpg

Doesn't look much like it was when it left. I haven't found any noticeable damage, a few suspect scratches but to be fair, I can't say either way.

Lesson for the newbies to this transport option. TAKE CARE - ASK QUESTIONS. If you think you are paying for a premium service, get every last detail in writing. I've seen premium cars transported all over Australia in my travels, mostly on open car transporters. The cars I've seen going by rail from WA are in open carriages.

My view is that I did not get the service I paid for and while the RAPT does work up and down the East Coast, it either does not go East / West or if it does, my car didn't get a ride.

Obviously people will choose a carrier that fits their needs but in doing so, I would be cautious of using a CEVA premium service without some added confidence that you will get what you pay for. I didn't!
    C5 RS6: APR, Milltek & Wagner -- B5 RS4 : tastefully modified -- C5 2.7 allroad -- B5 A4 1.8 quattro 132 Kw -- UNIMOG 404 TLF8

Quote Originally Posted by IchBautAuto View Post
    On the rare occasion that I buy a car, I have been fortunate enough to be able to pick up and drive home so car transporting is a new game for me.

I bought in WA which is a few Km from home. Having just driven to WA and back mid year, and having a few other obligations to meet, I decided to transport the car from West to East.

THE common thread with car transporting is an assumed MINIMUM ground clearance of 150mm. With that you can get a car across country for less than $1000. As the ground clearance goes down, the cost goes up and it isn't linear. So, with a ground clearance of 104mm, prices were just shy of $2,000. Some carriers infer that you travel with them and some are open that they book with another company that can accommodate any specific needs.

Some research later, CEVA came up as THE company to use. They offer a Race and Prestige Transport service at a premium price and their website makes a big thing about your car traveling in an enclosed transporter and they offer a door to door service.
    RAPT.jpg

That sounds like a great idea at an Ouch price so the car was booked. I delivered it to the Perth Depot and they would deliver it to my house. A 30 minute inspection was undertaken and every last paintwork flaw was noted on a digital diagram plus photos taken. It was even remarked that the car wasn't freshly washed. This is at the Perth Depot. Clean enough I would think.
    pre-ship.jpg

Some time after payment it became evident that the delivery to the house was by Tilt Tray. Not a problem in itself but every load / unload has potential for damage so the less the better.

The company offers tracking and the first thing was to find out through the tracking service that it was actually going by RAIL from Perth to Melbourne (supposedly in a special container I was told later when I ask WTF). Absolutely no mention of this during the booking process, just how special RAPT was.

Car duly arrives in Melbourne and is unloaded from the train. It was supposed to go to the CEVA depot that day but it sat and sat (according to their tracking) until the next week I rang and asked WTF again. That day it moved to the Depot with some story about an excess of vehicles being moved. Paying twice the price does not get you any benefits with CEVA. Then it was scheduled for RAPT to Canberra and then the tracking inserted a days delay after it was loaded and supposedly departed. Contact with the company was largely unhelpful to downright evasive as time moved on.

The one very helpful person was the truck driver of the RAPT. He unloaded the car on his arrival in Canberra at night and I was able to pick it up. Clearly, any inspection was impossible in the street at night with occasional showers. What rolled off the truck was this.
    post ship.jpg

Doesn't look much like it was when it left. I haven't found any noticeable damage, a few suspect scratches but to be fair, I can't say either way.

Lesson for the newbies to this transport option. TAKE CARE - ASK QUESTIONS. If you think you are paying for a premium service, get every last detail in writing. I've seen premium cars transported all over Australia in my travels, mostly on open car transporters. The cars I've seen going by rail from WA are in open carriages.

My view is that I did not get the service I paid for and while the RAPT does work up and down the East Coast, it either does not go East / West or if it does, my car didn't get a ride.

Obviously people will choose a carrier that fits their needs but in doing so, I would be cautious of using a CEVA premium service without some added confidence that you will get what you pay for. I didn't!
    I did your journey in reverse with said company and have moved a few cars with them. But I always go depot to depot each time. Let me say I won't be using them again after my recent experience. All care and absolutely no responsibility. Yes buyer beware. Key additional lesson observed to the above post, take a video of the car before you drop it off / gets picked up with attendant in the video both INSIDE AND OUT. SPEND A LOT OF TIME BOTH INSIDE AND OUT INSPECTING THE CAR BEFORE YOU SIGN OFF ON PICKUP AND BASELINE COMPARISONS OFF YOUR video and reference that in writing and list everything you can see. Probably wont get you anywhere but its at least its not a two sentence company line / disclaimer they don't divert from. Plus apparently I have it on good authority that if it can't be seen within a meter, even if it didn't exist when you signed off on pickup, pull out your credit card if you want it rectified.

Quote Originally Posted by smit2100 View Post
    I did your journey in reverse with said company and have moved a few cars with them. But I always go depot to depot each time. Let me say I won't be using them again after my recent experience. All care and absolutely no responsibility. Yes buyer beware. Key additional lesson observed to the above post, take a video of the car before you drop it off / gets picked up with attendant in the video both INSIDE AND OUT. SPEND A LOT OF TIME BOTH INSIDE AND OUT INSPECTING THE CAR BEFORE YOU SIGN OFF ON PICKUP AND BASELINE COMPARISONS OFF YOUR video and reference that in writing and list everything you can see. Probably wont get you anywhere but its at least its not a two sentence company line / disclaimer they don't divert from. Plus apparently I have it on good authority that if it can't be seen within a meter, even if it didn't exist when you signed off on pickup, pull out your credit card if you want it rectified.
    Hi Mate,

Pretty sad when a prime company cuts the throat of it's own reputation. I wouldn't use them again under any circumstances and just urge caution if you pay any premium to be sure you'll get what you paid for. Re the inspection on receipt, absolutely but in my case it just wasn't possible. I could have left it until the following day but after the sequence of events, I just wanted to get it out of their hands asap. I'd be quite surprised if a race car or a $200,000 Euro car arrived in that state. Maybe the declared value has something to do with the service. Still, we can have a (poison of choice) and commiserate with each other about the poor service, maybe stick some pins in a model truck too.
    C5 RS6: APR, Milltek & Wagner -- B5 RS4 : tastefully modified -- C5 2.7 allroad -- B5 A4 1.8 quattro 132 Kw -- UNIMOG 404 TLF8