Page 130 of 131 FirstFirst ... 3080120128129130131 LastLast
Results 1,291 to 1,300 of 1307

Thread: 2020 RS3 owner's thread

Quote Originally Posted by RaMoNsTeR View Post
    I honestly don't believe Audi removed the overrun crackles for fun, I suspect they burn the arse out of the OPFs. I'd love to throw on a dirty stage 1 tune with a little more noise and pop until I'm ready to do major work, but would like to see longer term reports of reliability. Having said that, if the long term plan is removing the OPF's anyway - might as well just burn the arse out of them right? That Unitronic Stage 1 sounds really good to me @domino_z - I see a lot of the trusted name mappers are not adding back overruns for stage 1 so clearly there is some heat/reliability concern there.

@domino_z, THANKS FOR POSTING THE NOISE VID etc - really loving the info. The Uni stage 1+ require any hardware changes? I believe it was tested on a 2019, they're the same as AU 2020 right, I think only released in Europe as 2019(?)
    yes stage 1+ is stock hardware 98 ron - basically you can go full bolt on except remove the opf as it doesn't code them out

car booked in to remove the opf, will report back in 2 weeks

have since sold my milltek catback, just didn't feel the sound was what i was after, looking at remus catback now

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-wj_pWQhSU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Dylpg0a5gc
    • 2015 RS3 Sportback Nardo (SOLD)
    • 2020 RS3 Sportback Merlin (REDUX)

Really keen to hear about your OPF remove, keep us well posted - I'm foaming to see and hear the result bro!!!!! So is the stage 1+ worthwhile you reckon?

Quote Originally Posted by RaMoNsTeR View Post
    Really keen to hear about your OPF remove, keep us well posted - I'm foaming to see and hear the result bro!!!!! So is the stage 1+ worthwhile you reckon?
    yes i recommend it, there is no downside, other than obvious being warranty

you get the valves to open fully in exhaust dynamic, so you can save 700 odd bucks on a valve controller, and honestly you get more than enough power than you need for a street/hill run car

being able to flash maps at home in your garage is how canned maps should be done, i've tried multiple ecu and tcu maps and it's just so easy

if i wasn't after a certain sound from my car, i'd happily leave it at stage 1+ with full bolt ons

and who knows, if removing the opf makes it too loud, i'll prob end up back at stage 1+ and try that remus catback - i'm not interested in e85 on this car, i did that with my r35 and evo x build and don't want the hassle of range anxiety, plus in this climate i like using the bp/caltex fuel apps
    Last edited by domino_z; November 16th, 2020 at 02:48 PM.

if you really want to baller out your stage 1+, you could drop 10k on an akra - but get in quick as audi/akra has stopped producing them (europrice got a few in one of the last orders afaik)

this is about the closest i've heard an opf sound like a daza

watch it right to the end where they compare to a daza

https://youtu.be/pikEFbAC-2Q

i mean this is pretty remarkable, it even has that warble in midrange like the daza and what the opf muted

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uzCdmznI9fU
    Last edited by domino_z; November 16th, 2020 at 02:56 PM.

Hey experts, want to ask you guys something. I recently had to replace my front right tyre due to damage, since i only had around 6000km on them I was loathed to replace both fronts and just replaced the front right. I have noticed there is random left or right "feels like on rails" movement for miliseconds every so often (maybe a minute or two), it is pretty minor but definitely there. I am now considering whether the depth difference between the new and old front tyre is causing some awd/haldex sync issue, I have read this is possible, or maybe its bad alignment or something else, I am leaning towards the former and now contemplating replacing the damn left side tyre sigh... thoughts anyone?

EDIT: Answered my own question after quite a bit of searching and reading, then physically checking the tyre depths on the front. Way too much difference between the new tyre and the near 6000km left side, will go get the left changed tomorrow as well (sigh!) that should match ok with the few 100 km new right, and apparently in AU we wear the left side more anyway due to the way we go around round abouts etc apparently (!). Seems like Haldex is more forgiving with a less matched front/back set but the same axle should match closely. My thought was 6000km for 20,000+ km tyre shouldn't be too much difference but checking physically it was a world of difference. I am fairly noob in terms of AWD, didn't actually even know about changing all 4 generally at the same time for AWD transmission etc reasons - the "know all" at the tyre place when I replaced the front right should've mentioned it, he was **** talking about everything else RS3 related.
    Last edited by RaMoNsTeR; November 17th, 2020 at 12:59 AM.

Yea i think you should just replace the other side as well to get even wear on both sides, some ppl get away with it for a while by swapping the rears to the fronts
    MY18 RS3 Sportback | PP2 | Matrix | RSDP | Gloss Black package | Ara Blue | Opti Coat Pro+ | Tinting

those oe pirelli's seem to be a very fussy tyre, so i wouldn't be surprised they need to be matched, especially in the front with that unique sizing

tbh i would have used it as an excuse to swap them out for a square 245/35 ps4s setup

i did this on day 1 and haven't looked back

Quote Originally Posted by domino_z View Post
    those oe pirelli's seem to be a very fussy tyre, so i wouldn't be surprised they need to be matched, especially in the front with that unique sizing

tbh i would have used it as an excuse to swap them out for a square 245/35 ps4s setup

i did this on day 1 and haven't looked back
    Yup, I did the same. Had my new wheels ready to go with MPS4s. Got the car home and first thing I did was rip those OE wheels off!
    2020 RS3 Sedan | Dark Red Mica | Carbon Edition | Matrix Lights | Audi Corporate

@domino_z: So you're happy with the Uni ECU, do these "require" a TCU stage 1 as well to work best? Seems fairly expensive to couple a Unitronic ECU and TCU, $2.5k+.. seriously considering the Unitronic here now.

Default 2020 RS3 owner's thread

Yes iíve tried stock, stage 1, and several stage 2 tcu uni maps with the stage 1 ecu

You def need the stage 1 tcu with the stage 1 ecu

With stock tcu mapping, it almost gets confused and doesnít know how to handle the extra torque and faster in gear acceleration

The stage 1 tcu gets rid of lag moving off from rest, makes the gear shift engage faster, and makes D a lot more usable by holding gears a little longer

I wouldnít do the uni stage 1 ecu without their stage 1 tcu or a similar provider

I donít recommend their stage 2 tcu though, as per my comments above with the kick forward feeling on upshift
    Last edited by domino_z; November 17th, 2020 at 06:31 PM.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to domino_z For This Useful Post:

exBimmer (November 19th, 2020), Magician (November 24th, 2020), RaMoNsTeR (November 17th, 2020)