Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1997 A4 2.6L Avante Quattro wagon electrical nightmare

Question 1997 A4 2.6L Avante Quattro wagon electrical nightmare

Hi Guys
    I've got this situation where the dash warning lights for fuel, oil pressure and temperature don't go out despite gauges reading (presumably accurately) showing plenty of fuel, normal temp and of course there is no oil pressure gauge tho oil temp is fine. In addition, the tacho doesn't work. It gets worse...........aircon was regassed after pressure testing but despite being turned on at the dash switch no current is reaching the compressor. My mechanic wonders if it wasnt due to a very low battery jump start executed by RACQ a few weeks ago. Interestingly perhaps is that the first few trips after the jump start had none of the dash board warning light issues, then they started and stopped, including the tacho dropping out, tho I cant say for the aircon because I knew it didn't work then. Now they seem permanent.
    Does anyone have any suggestions about how to tackle this please so the blank cheque book approach with my sparky could be more palatable!
    Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by varnishguy View Post
    Hi Guys
    I've got this situation where the dash warning lights for fuel, oil pressure and temperature don't go out despite gauges reading (presumably accurately) showing plenty of fuel, normal temp and of course there is no oil pressure gauge tho oil temp is fine. In addition, the tacho doesn't work. It gets worse...........aircon was regassed after pressure testing but despite being turned on at the dash switch no current is reaching the compressor. My mechanic wonders if it wasnt due to a very low battery jump start executed by RACQ a few weeks ago. Interestingly perhaps is that the first few trips after the jump start had none of the dash board warning light issues, then they started and stopped, including the tacho dropping out, tho I cant say for the aircon because I knew it didn't work then. Now they seem permanent.
    Does anyone have any suggestions about how to tackle this please so the blank cheque book approach with my sparky could be more palatable!
    Cheers

Always first question, what fault codes do you have and is your readiness 0000 0000? Do you now have a good battery (above 12.4V after any surface charge has dissipated). Checked all your fuses. i.e. all the free stuff before getting a sparky involved.
    C5 RS6: APR, Milltek & Wagner -- B5 RS4 : tastefully modified -- Audi 1.8 quattro 132 Kw -- UNIMOG 404 TLF8

Thanks mate - good advice - after reading some of the other similar help questions I was hoping I might get your attention!
    I dont understand your first sentence - fault codes and readiness. Could you explain that please. I will check the battery. It handles multiple starts ok but I havent measured it. Fuses are fine. The car is with my mechanic right now so I cant pop out and check. Any other free stuff you can suggest?
    Cheers
    Martin

Thanks mate - good advice - after reading some of the other similar help questions I was hoping I might get your attention!
    I dont understand your first sentence - fault codes and readiness. Could you explain that please. I will check the battery. It handles multiple starts ok but I havent measured it. Fuses are fine. The car is with my mechanic right now so I cant pop out and check. Any other free stuff you can suggest?
    Cheers
    Martin

If you're running a B5, the two things you need to know about even before remembering your rego number are the fault codes that the ECU and other control units log from time to time. Read by an OBD analyser. Ross-Tech is my choice. This is essentially the same diagnostics that the Audi dealer uses via a different reader. Google it and read. Weeks if not months of info there at your finger tips. Readiness is the computer checks that certain systems are performing correctly. Readiness is displayed when you scan for faults. It should be 0000 0000. If your electrician / mechanic does not have OBD capability then you and he are wasting your time and money. Always the first stop in working out what is wrong and where to start.
    C5 RS6: APR, Milltek & Wagner -- B5 RS4 : tastefully modified -- Audi 1.8 quattro 132 Kw -- UNIMOG 404 TLF8

Many thanks. I'll check with them tomorrow. Seems my readiness is somewhere off the Richter scale!
    Cheers

Hi IBA
    Just a quick question before i move on codes and readiness today . Are wiring diagrams available for this model and where could I find them if they are?
    Cheers

Hi IBA
    Just a quick question before i move on codes and readiness today . Are wiring diagrams available for this model and where could I find them if they are?
    Cheers

Yes, but what you can or may find for free is a bit open. The most commonly available manual is by Bentley from the US. Only covers models and varients sold there and you have to be aware of the LHD issues. Over $100 new, available used from time to time on market place type sites. There are some wiring diagrams taken from Bentleys that make their way onto forums etc and it's just a case of looking. If your time is valuable, just buy, you can spend weeks or months digging deeper and deeper and sorting the crap from the gems. Some experience with the AUDI platform and it's foibles is very useful to make sense of the diagrams and how things work.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to IchBautAuto For This Useful Post:

varnishguy (December 26th, 2019)

PM me your email and I will send you the factory wiring diagram.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to jsol For This Useful Post:

varnishguy (December 26th, 2019)

Thanks mate - will do

Thanks for that.
    We have a Ross Tech and the mechanic is familiar with its use on VW and Audi tho primarily in its mechanical applications more than electronic. However he's pretty confident about a few things. The scan is showing no fault codes. None for the instrument cluster. It picked a fault with the aircon which we're following up but the instrument cluster is really our primary problem. Readiness is not illuminated so he feels that it is not supported on this vehicle (1997 A4 B5 2.7l). In any event he can't get into it. His gut feeling is its in the dash, tho all the other lights go out, so what would connect revs (tacho) with these 3 warning lights? Ignition maybe.
    Any thoughts would be much appreciated.