Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Airbag Recall

Default Airbag Recall

Checked my 1999 A4 on the Audi website re the latest airbag recall and it said my car was not affected. Then out of curiosity I entered the VIN of the other A4 I still have that's no longer registered and that one is being recalled. Both cars were made at the same time (2 months apart) so I figured something's screwed up. Rang Audi and they said the VIN is showing up as an A6 (WAUZZZ8D...???) so they've escalated the case. My concern is that if the database is screwed up like that, how many others might have been screwed up? I think best for everyone with suspect vehicles on the list https://www.accc.gov.au/media-releas...ag-safety-risk to ring Audi and confirm they have the car listed correctly, and don't rely on the website.

Current:
    2004 A6 C5 Sedan 3.0 V6 Quattro
    1999 A4 B5 Avant 2.4 V6 (Unreg)

Retired:
    1990 100 Sedan 2.3
    1991 90 Sedan 2.3
    1999 A4 B5 Sedan 2.4 V6
    2005 A6 4F Sedan 3.2 V6 Quattro

2. The Following User Says Thank You to broke90 For This Useful Post:

DirkOz (March 8th, 2020)

My unregistered b5 is also listed as affected by the recall, my daily isn't on the list or on the ismyairbagsafe website however I did talk to audi and they said it was, and wanted to inspect it.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to rossgib For This Useful Post:

DirkOz (March 8th, 2020)

Default add info

Not uncommon, initially the website did not have vehicles listed as recall required, however they would have continuously updated the list. But vehicles that were initially not part of the recall have been added.
    Yes, recommended to do numerous checks as it is your own safety and they are unlikely to chase up. http://www.ozaudi.com/forums/showthr...Check-your-car

Quote Originally Posted by rossgib View Post
    My unregistered b5 is also listed as affected by the recall, my daily isn't on the list or on the ismyairbagsafe website however I did talk to audi and they said it was, and wanted to inspect it.
    Are they having the car towed to the dealer and back?
    WAUZZZ
    Current
    B7 A4 2.0TQ
    APR
    8P A3 REVO
    B6 S4 JHM
    B8 S4
    Past
    B5 A4 1.8TQ
    B5 A4 1.8T
    B5 S4 GIAC

Here's the VIN list from ACCC.

https://www.productsafety.gov.au/sys...20list_130.pdf

My unregistered A4 is listed, but my registered A4 isn't. They were made in the same month, not 2 months apart as I'd thought all along. Over in A4 area Matt-Matt suggested we post what's been offered for the buyback. I think that's a good idea.

Current:

Retired:
    1990 100 Sedan 2.3
    1991 90 Sedan 2.3
    1999 A4 B5 Sedan 2.4 V6

It would be a real pity to see B5 A4's (and C5 A6s and D2 A8s and first gen TTs) almost completely disappear from the roads - especially if the recall gets extended to post 2000 models.

Remember, you're not obligated to sell your car to Audi, or sign their waiver.
    I think their "We can't be bothered fixing airbags on our older cars" attitude stinks.

I hope the ACCC adds their recall to the compulsory list.
    Marty

---
    Current:
    2001 S8 - 19" x 9" C5 RS6 rims, Solar Sunroof, heated leather front and rear seats, tinted side and rear glass, RNS-D, XCarlink, Bose, clunky old phone in arm rest...
    2002 S8 - 18" RS4 reps (for now), Solar Sunroof, 'Sports' mode shifter... Engine dropped valve on PO - work in progress...

Gone but not forgotten:
    ​1997 A4 Quattro V6 Manual "Hamilton's Club Sport"

Hi Guys,

I'm not up to speed with the legality of old faulty airbags...but is it possible to have Audi remove them, and you can still keep and register the car ? It seems like such a simple solution to the problem...take them out. My Dad had a S40 Volvo, and I was reading the stickers on the inside of the drivers door one day whilst waiting for him to come out of a Doctors appointment ( Yep...really bored ) and discovered that the airbags had expired...they had a 10 year life in that car.

When we traded it, no one even bothered checking the " use by date " and that car was seen driving around town for some years after we traded it.

Quote Originally Posted by BigBenny View Post
    Hi Guys,

I'm not up to speed with the legality of old faulty airbags...but is it possible to have Audi remove them, and you can still keep and register the car ? It seems like such a simple solution to the problem...take them out. My Dad had a S40 Volvo, and I was reading the stickers on the inside of the drivers door one day whilst waiting for him to come out of a Doctors appointment ( Yep...really bored ) and discovered that the airbags had expired...they had a 10 year life in that car.

When we traded it, no one even bothered checking the " use by date " and that car was seen driving around town for some years after we traded it.
    Not possible to remove airbags as it came with it from factory, would be un-roadworthy.
    Most vehicle handbooks have a section for airbag servicing/replacement, I have not heard of anyone that has performed this costly airbag service, they are too costly to replace, only if there is an error caused by an airbag or deployment then replacement is required.
    WAUZZZ
    Current
    B7 A4 2.0TQ
    APR
    8P A3 REVO
    B6 S4 JHM
    B8 S4
    Past
    B5 A4 1.8TQ
    B5 A4 1.8T
    B5 S4 GIAC

10. The Following User Says Thank You to TheChenga For This Useful Post:

BigBenny (December 19th, 2019)

Just read Marty's other post on the A4 section.

POST DELETED
    Last edited by broke90; December 19th, 2019 at 06:02 PM.

Current:

Retired:
    1990 100 Sedan 2.3
    1991 90 Sedan 2.3
    1999 A4 B5 Sedan 2.4 V6

Quote Originally Posted by broke90 View Post
    Here's the VIN list from ACCC.

https://www.productsafety.gov.au/sys...20list_130.pdf

My unregistered A4 is listed, but my registered A4 isn't. They were made in the same month, not 2 months apart as I'd thought all along. Over in A4 area Matt-Matt suggested we post what's been offered for the buyback. I think that's a good idea.
    The ACCC website had an update on 4 March 2020. The VIN list might also have been updated. If your car has been inspected and cleared by Audi, the Dealership sends a reporting form to ACCC. After a few weeks of processing, the VIN would or should have been removed.
    Anyone who has had their airbag checked and cleared, please let us know if your VIN no longer appears on this list.
    HINT ALT F9 and enter your VIN in the box that appears. Hit Enter. If the result is 1/1 your VIN has not yet been removed.
    If the result is 0/0 it has been removed and you're "Good to go"

Sent from my INE-LX2 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by DirkOz; March 16th, 2020 at 01:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rossgib View Post
    Hi Ross,
    That's an interesting scenario.
    I have an unregistered A4 B5 that is listed as affected by the recall.
    I'm not taking mine in for inspection, even though it has a later non Takata airbag fitted. My A4 B5 1.8t FWD Manual Santorini Blue Pearl pictured was destroyed by the Canberra hailstorm while unregistered and doing clutch repairs. I'll sell all the remaining parts, including the new Coilovers.
    What are you planning on doing with your B5?

What was the outcome for your daily?
    What is it, by the way? It is an interesting twist that highlights inadequate record keeping by Audi.

Was your daily inspected and found not to have an affected airbag?

Is this similar to what was said on the invoice?
    "Vehicle has been in for 69AE Campaign (Airbag Recall) Checked drivers airbag as per Campaign 69AE. Airbag fitted to vehicle at time of inspection is okay. All okay.

Sent from my INE-LX2 using Tapatalk