Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Thread: B5 A4 Airbag Recall

So I sold my 2001 B5 A4 sedan in November which wasn't affected by the recall, but was since contacted by my ex asking if I wanted to purchase "our" old b5 avant from her - it's a 99.5 GP avant 1.8t quattro and after one of the control arms blew out while she was doing a u-turn, then getting quoted $1900 to fix it, she lost faith in it and it has been parked up for the last two years. Paint is faded on the roof and bonnet (will be getting that painted) and it needs a host of little things that probably all b5's need, but the interior is excellent and the head was rebuild and new turbo only 10k ago so of course I bought it from her for only $600 which was what she was being offered by wreckers. I fixed the control arm for $26.

BUT it is on the recall list for this airbag thing and honestly, I do have a lot of good memories with this car - originally bought it in 2007! It was the start of my love for Audis and it has a lot more sentimental value than what Audi will ever offer for it.

So I want to replace the airbag and steering wheel too if necessary with another type. What options are we aware of so far?
    8L A3/S3 - 2001-2003?
    B5 A4/S4 - 2000+
    B5 RS4
    A6/S6/RS6/allroad C5 - 2001-2004? - does this include the automatic with the steering wheel gear shift buttons?

Any others?
    2011 Audi A6 3.0T S-Line Phantom Black/2-tone Valcona, 19" B8 S4 Rotors 160K
    2008 Range Rover Sport TDV6 white/black leather, 20ís, h/k 318K
    1999.5 Audi A4 1.8TQMS avant, Phantom Black/black 376K
    1990 Nissan Pintara TRX 5MT, a few mods 439K!!

Gone but not forgotten
    2000 Audi S4 6MT, nogaro/black Stage 3-
    2001 Audi A4 1.8TQMS ming blue/slate 373K

Quote Originally Posted by IchBautAuto View Post
    Just to update this thread with other world responses. A UK forum member received this letter from Audi UK yesterday to replace his takata airbag.

Attachment 31997

Now, isn't that a different approach to the situation we found ourselves in locally. I'll get some more information idc about exactly what happened but it does seem to show that a solution is / was available and undertaken at no cost by Audi.

So if this means they have the re-engineered parts available, why would these not be available here in Australia?

Gone but not forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by broke90 View Post
    The wording of the letter is interesting. "To ensure that the driver airbag functions entirely correctly" isn't the same as "component supplier of the airbag inflator is concerned may be faulty and may kill or injure the driver" (quoting exactly (including the bold letters) from my letter from Audi). But it seems in the UK they'll replace them, whereas here they want to pay you out with a Happy Meal voucher.

It's obvious that market drivers are very country specific. No idea exactly what is going on but I do know the guy so will eventually get an update. It's a bit like VW not selling us electric cars because they can't get the emissions offset credits here in Australia. All handled very differently depending on who you are.
    C5 RS6: Sportec, Milltek & Wagner -- B5 RS4 : tastefully modified -- Audi 1.8 quattro 132 Kw -- UNIMOG 404 TLF8

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    So if this means they have the re-engineered parts available, why would these not be available here in Australia?

Possibly for the same (non) reasons that parts availability differs by continent / hemisphere. I have never bothered chasing this up but it is likely that Audi Australia is a different entity to Audi Germany and separated by enough legal jargon to keep head office's nose off the grindstone where legal liabilities exist in individual countries. We may love the cars but we are just a source of cash injection and as soon as you stop buying new, your face isn't that welcome.
    C5 RS6: Sportec, Milltek & Wagner -- B5 RS4 : tastefully modified -- Audi 1.8 quattro 132 Kw -- UNIMOG 404 TLF8

Possibly for the same (non) reasons that parts availability differs by continent / hemisphere. I have never bothered chasing this up but it is likely that Audi Australia is a different entity to Audi Germany and separated by enough legal jargon to keep head office's nose off the grindstone where legal liabilities exist in individual countries. We may love the cars but we are just a source of cash injection and as soon as you stop buying new, your face isn't that welcome.

Did you have any luck swapping over to the allroad steering wheel or did you never need to go down that path?

Gone but not forgotten

So I want to replace the airbag and steering wheel too if necessary with another type. What options are we aware of so far?
    8L A3/S3 - 2001-2003?
    B5 A4/S4 - 2000+
    B5 RS4
    A6/S6/RS6/allroad C5 - 2001-2004? - does this include the automatic with the steering wheel gear shift buttons?
    Now that my own sage is over, I have re-formatted that section of the brain for other issues. There is a wealth of info on here, just requires some of your time and attention to get all the answers. Most of the options above do not ring a bell as a replacement. Mostly the wiring is different. There are also Takata airbags that are OK and not subject to the recall. My A4 has the Audi seal of approval despite having a Takata brand airbag.

Did you have any luck swapping over to the allroad steering wheel or did you never need to go down that path?

That wasn't me. (Yes it was) Never had any intentions of doing that (Obviously did before I found out it was a no goer). From memory I started my homework on the options for all my cars but it became a non event when I finally got my letter from Audi for the A4 and the RS cars weren't affected in the end..
    Last edited by IchBautAuto; November 10th, 2021 at 04:41 PM. Reason: correct the statements

Ah, I haven't been able to tie in to a date of airbag manufacture. My understanding was that airbag model was fitted to some cars manufactured between certain dates, therefore any with that airbag model were defective. I may have been wasting my time but the utter confusion with AUDI about whether some Australian delivered cars actually exist has certainly made me ultra cautious about the system being used to identify cars at risk.

It does seem that B6 A4 or indeed C5 allroad steering wheels and airbags are a potential replacement for the B5 A4 so I'm on that path at the moment in preparation. Even better, I have an allroad that is just about to enter the part out phase of life so that may be the first thing I remove.

I read this post from you earlier in the thread and wondered if you ever went through with it. Seeing as I can't seem to find any instances of the potential failure with the older Takata airbags actually occurring in the real world, I'll keep driving my A4 for now but will keep an eye out for a suitable replacement wheel/airbag.

Gone but not forgotten

Early in the piece I guess. There was a time when it seemed that common sense should have dictated using the same airbag across the B5 / C5 range would / should have been a given, but like everything it turned out to be a real muddle and obviously not true. As I had an Allroad that was a potential source of certain spares to save the A4, I was "hopeful". Life is never that easy.
    The RS4 more or less uses a B6 airbag and there were single and dual stage bags somewhere in the mix. Luckily for me my A4 had a "good" Takata airbag and the others weren't fitted with recall products.
    There is no doubt that some airbags could be retrofitted to the B5 technically. The real issue is that they may not have passed the requisite standards so in reality they may be illegal. Perhaps the biggest issue is that if Audi advise the relevant Rego dept in a state that the car is fitted with one of the defective air bags then the state just refuses to register it irrespective of the actual functionality.
    I'm just grateful that the worst case scenerio of all my cars having the same faulty airbag and all being refused future rego did not arise. Glass Full.