Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: B5 A4 Airbag Recall

Quote Originally Posted by IchBautAuto View Post
    Only comment I'd make is with us all potentially in different states with different procedures, information on here can be really misleading in a general sense. The bits I don't know:

Is there any formal link between your VIN, airbag brand at manufacture, confirmation that airbag has been replaced under compulsory recall and the state registration authority?
    Short answer is yes, there is a link for Compulsory Recalls. My A3 8P had a Compulsory Recall and if it had not been repaired, ACT Registration could not have been renewed.
    Under the Regulatory Framework set up by the Department of Infrastructure, Car Companies are required to provide updates to the ACCC & Relevant State and Territory about the
    Status of Repair using the Takata VIN status report form

Is the State rego authority formally monitoring the VIN of cars subject to formal recall and also the advice issues that are not yet a recall?
    See above. (I can't quote where I read that there are expected delays according to the PPSR)

Which if any cars will not be allowed to re-register?
    Can't answer that question at the moment, as our group members are currently monitoring web traffic.

Why can't you change steering wheel and airbag, modify the wiring as needed? By a qualified person, not a home brew job. That cannot be beyond AUDI to sort.
    Our group is waiting for a formal response from Audi to that very question.
    PS If you want to get your peepers into some Takata history New York Times articles

Just got an email from Audi Australia saying that they have no record of my A4 VIN. As I bought it new from the only AUDI Canberra dealer that's an interesting thing to be told. So, I guess that means I need to whip off the airbag and have a look. The RS6 was the only vehicle they had in their records, the other three were not present. After passing on the purchase details for those three, the RS4 and the allroad seem to have been "found".

It puts into doubt the letter the AUDI site generated saying that I had no issues.
    C5 RS6: APR, Milltek & Wagner -- B5 RS4 : tastefully modified -- Audi 1.8 quattro 132 Kw -- UNIMOG 404 TLF8

Hi all,

I have a 2001 B5 S4 Avant - my VIN is not on the official list

However, I pulled the airbag on the weekend and I have a Takata BAM-PT1-0593

It looks like the manufactured date is 05.04.2001 (see photo)

I genuinely may not have an issue due to manufactured date, but interested in your thoughts on next steps? Should I go to an Audi dealer in person or email Audi Australia? Do you think they will have a record of the car being sold in Australia?

I do not wish to sell the car, and would be interested in exploring alternative wheel and airbags (newer single stage airbags) that are likely to work in the event of an accident.

Thanks!

IMG_1484.jpg
    IMG_1485.jpg

4. The Following User Says Thank You to rab5 For This Useful Post:

DirkOz (March 16th, 2020)

Interestingly I spoke to my Audi dealership this week, I have a good relationship with them and asked them to confirm if my airbag in my S4 if subject to the recall. I dont believe it is as it is dated 10/2000. But seeing I changed the wheel I thought I would check anyway. I put a wheel from an auto in so I can use the buttons to control radio etc. Anyway they asked for the VIN, after explaining that wont help as my S4 is 09/2001 dated it is not subject to the recall. Audi seem to only being working from VIN numbers, thats OK but we are talking 20 year vehicles, what if for some reason it had had an airbag change during its life the VIN is not going to help identify what the state of the current airbag is. I cant seen this voluntary recall going that well. My dealership has their hands tied, they only seem to work with VINs, but they are looking for a solution.

If I cant get an answer I may end up putting my original wheel back in, 09/2001 dated, and look at some other way control the radio and phone.
    Current - 2007 B7 RS4 Avant, APR Stage 3, Milltek with Hi Flo Cats, GruppeM intake, Sachs Clutch, Factory Ceramics, JHM Shifter, RS6 FBSTW, AMI & Hi Res RSNE
    Current - 2012 B8 A4, 2.0T Quattro Avant SLine
    Current - 2001 B5 S4 Imola Yellow Avant
    Current - 1989 B3 90 Quattro - 7A NA Engine, (Long Term Restoration Project)
    Current - 1984 WR Ur Quattro

Quote Originally Posted by rab5 View Post
    Hi all,

I have a 2001 B5 S4 Avant - my VIN is not on the official list

However, I pulled the airbag on the weekend and I have a Takata BAM-PT1-0593

It looks like the manufactured date is 05.04.2001 (see photo)

I genuinely may not have an issue due to manufactured date, but interested in your thoughts on next steps? Should I go to an Audi dealer in person or email Audi Australia? Do you think they will have a record of the car being sold in Australia?

I do not wish to sell the car, and would be interested in exploring alternative wheel and airbags (newer single stage airbags) that are likely to work in the event of an accident.

Thanks!

IMG_1484.jpg
    IMG_1485.jpg
    That's very positive in my opinion (1) not in the VIN list and (2) airbag date outside the defective airbag manufacture dates. However, the only way to really confirm (and have complete peace of mind) is to have the dealership confirm it. The annoying bit is (allegedly) they will charge a fee if your VIN is not in the list of affected vehicles.

If I was in the same situation, I would carry on to drive it and then have Audi check it later on when the situation has mellowed down a bit. As it stands, they are probably allocating resources first to affected VINs which makes sense to begin with...
    Last edited by ponch23; January 8th, 2020 at 06:49 PM.

I also received a letter recalling my 99/00 S4. I was going to just ignore it, but unsure what will happen when it comes to renewing rego.. Being stage 3, obviously even a "generous" 15k payout wouldn't sit well with me.
    2000 B5 S4 Achat Grey
    ~18Z Calipers - Vogtland GT Coilovers - 19" VMR V810 - SSAC Twin 2 TBE - Stern Motor/Tranny mounts - Stg 1...For now~

Daily: '99 B5 A4 1.8T
    Past: '07 Evo IX

Keep posting, keen to see what they are going to do when a buyback is knocked back. News today is a lot more brands are in the mix and the buyback for them is being heavily promoted.
    C5 RS6: APR, Milltek & Wagner -- B5 RS4 : tastefully modified -- Audi 1.8 quattro 132 Kw -- UNIMOG 404 TLF8

My rego went through without any hiccups. No letter yet.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
    Now > 99 A4 1.8TQ (silver)
    Handling
    KW V3's | Hotchkies Front and Rear Sways | 320mm Brembo BBK |
    Power
    Garrett GT3076r 52 Trim 0.63 A/R| Haltech PS1000 (custom harness PNP) | Piper Ultimate Road Cams | Scat Rods | JE Pistons | Supertech Valve Set | IE Springs Set | Full Race Ex Mani | Custom Enlarged Intake Mani | 1000cc Inj | Zietronix Flex Fuel Sensor | Treadstone TR18 FMIC

R.I.P > 98 A4 1.8TQ (cactus green)

Quote Originally Posted by Gbomer View Post
    My rego went through without any hiccups. No letter yet.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
    Interesting.

OK, removed the A4 airbag today and it's the dreaded Takata one.
    WP_20200112_10_16_23_Pro.jpg

What concerns me greatly is that the Takata recall website says
    Screenshot_2020-01-12 Don't die wondering resized.jpg
    Plus the previously mentioned letter from Audi saying my car was not affected and finally, AUDI separately not being aware of my one owner vehicle purchased in Australia.

As a result, I would suggest that anyone who has received a clean bill of health should be extremely cautious of it's validity until you have sighted your air bag personally. Clearly there is an element of danger to ones self involved in this so not reason to take chances.