Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: B5 A4 Airbag Recall

Quote Originally Posted by IchBautAuto View Post
    OK, removed the A4 airbag today and it's the dreaded Takata one.
    Attachment 31239

What concerns me greatly is that the Takata recall website says
    Attachment 31240
    Plus the previously mentioned letter from Audi saying my car was not affected and finally, AUDI separately not being aware of my one owner vehicle purchased in Australia.

As a result, I would suggest that anyone who has received a clean bill of health should be extremely cautious of it's validity until you have sighted your air bag personally. Clearly there is an element of danger to ones self involved in this so not reason to take chances.

Tony, because your bag is 06/2000 your are likely not affected but like me a definitive answer would be nice. Nothing forthcoming for me atm.
    Current - 2007 B7 RS4 Avant, APR Stage 3, Milltek with Hi Flo Cats, GruppeM intake, Sachs Clutch, Factory Ceramics, JHM Shifter, RS6 FBSTW, AMI & Hi Res RSNE
    Current - 2012 B8 A4, 2.0T Quattro Avant SLine
    Current - 2001 B5 S4 Imola Yellow Avant
    Current - 1989 B3 90 Quattro - 7A NA Engine, (Long Term Restoration Project)
    Current - 1984 WR Ur Quattro

Hi all,

Haven't been on these forums for many a year but have been doing some reading into the issue as my 1998 A4 1.8T Manual has the airbag recall, and I took it in to my local Audi centre here on the GC and yep they have confirmed it's got the bad bag. I'll keep updating you guys as I go along as I can see you're starting to pull a bit of a resource together.

Reason I've just gone straight in with it is I was kind of in the market for a new car anyway, so it's not earth shattering and is kind of a nice reason to finally let the old girl go. It's a bit of a ****ter but has been the most faithful car I've owned. Backgound:

- It's been my daily driver for 6 years now (purchased for 7k), has 280K on the clock
    - Exterior is pretty shagged - the clear coat has been peeling of the green for years on the bonnet, roof and pillars, plus the rear wing was broken and a slight dent in the RHF guard
    - A/C is non-existent, RHR window doesn't wind down, the blower fan usually works but sometimes needs me to run over a pothole before it does
    - Clutch is pretty worn and slips under full load but does the job on the daily. Pads and rotors are down but still have a couple more services left
    - Otherwise the car is mechanically sound, I spent a fair bit of time and a relative amount of coin on repairing a lot of the mechanical components, and worked at a VW dealership so got a lot of minor work done on the cheap. It's been ultra reliable, uses next to no oil, has 500km old new Bridgestone Ecopia's on it.

You get the picture anyway. As discussed it's a bit of a ****ter but it's worth a lot to me.

Audi have kept it over the weekend (i took it in Friday) as the 3rd party valuer (cough bull**** cough) wasn't available until Monday. Didn't need the loaner as wasn't going anywhere (summer uni - hooray), but will definitely take them up on it if it extends past Monday.

Ready for pretty lengthy discussion with Audi Customer Care as to the 'emotional' value of the car rather than the market price (similar carsales samples with nice paint are between 1.5 - 3.5k) but is no way I'll get into a car as good as mine for that much.

I'll keep you updated - happy to be the guinea pig!

Byron.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Byron Bateson For This Useful Post:

100_quattroluap (January 13th, 2020), PorkyS4 (January 15th, 2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Tas_Audi View Post
    Tony, because your bag is 06/2000 your are likely not affected but like me a definitive answer would be nice. Nothing forthcoming for me atm.

Ah, I haven't been able to tie in to a date of airbag manufacture. My understanding was that airbag model was fitted to some cars manufactured between certain dates, therefore any with that airbag model were defective. I may have been wasting my time but the utter confusion with AUDI about whether some Australian delivered cars actually exist has certainly made me ultra cautious about the system being used to identify cars at risk.

It does seem that B6 A4 or indeed C5 allroad steering wheels and airbags are a potential replacement for the B5 A4 so I'm on that path at the moment in preparation. Even better, I have an allroad that is just about to enter the part out phase of life so that may be the first thing I remove.
    C5 RS6: Sportec, Milltek & Wagner -- B5 RS4 : tastefully modified -- Audi 1.8 quattro 132 Kw -- UNIMOG 404 TLF8

Quote Originally Posted by Byron Bateson View Post
    Hi all,

Haven't been on these forums for many a year but have been doing some reading into the issue as my 1998 A4 1.8T Manual has the airbag recall, and I took it in to my local Audi centre here on the GC and yep they have confirmed it's got the bad bag. I'll keep updating you guys as I go along as I can see you're starting to pull a bit of a resource together.

Reason I've just gone straight in with it is I was kind of in the market for a new car anyway, so it's not earth shattering and is kind of a nice reason to finally let the old girl go. It's a bit of a ****ter but has been the most faithful car I've owned. Backgound:

- It's been my daily driver for 6 years now (purchased for 7k), has 280K on the clock
    - Exterior is pretty shagged - the clear coat has been peeling of the green for years on the bonnet, roof and pillars, plus the rear wing was broken and a slight dent in the RHF guard
    - A/C is non-existent, RHR window doesn't wind down, the blower fan usually works but sometimes needs me to run over a pothole before it does
    - Clutch is pretty worn and slips under full load but does the job on the daily. Pads and rotors are down but still have a couple more services left
    - Otherwise the car is mechanically sound, I spent a fair bit of time and a relative amount of coin on repairing a lot of the mechanical components, and worked at a VW dealership so got a lot of minor work done on the cheap. It's been ultra reliable, uses next to no oil, has 500km old new Bridgestone Ecopia's on it.

You get the picture anyway. As discussed it's a bit of a ****ter but it's worth a lot to me.

Audi have kept it over the weekend (i took it in Friday) as the 3rd party valuer (cough bull**** cough) wasn't available until Monday. Didn't need the loaner as wasn't going anywhere (summer uni - hooray), but will definitely take them up on it if it extends past Monday.

Ready for pretty lengthy discussion with Audi Customer Care as to the 'emotional' value of the car rather than the market price (similar carsales samples with nice paint are between 1.5 - 3.5k) but is no way I'll get into a car as good as mine for that much.

Byron.
    Looking forward to hearing what they offer you. Fair comment that with your cars description and an unattached valuer I wouldn't be expecting to be offered much at all, the emotional value is zip in the market place. Should mine be put in that position, I'm expecting that with circa 140K up, one owner all in good shape that they will offer only a few peanuts more. Mechanically mine has easily another 20 years of life remaining but commercially it is little different from yours.
    C5 RS6: Sportec, Milltek & Wagner -- B5 RS4 : tastefully modified -- Audi 1.8 quattro 132 Kw -- UNIMOG 404 TLF8

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to IchBautAuto For This Useful Post:

DirkOz (January 15th, 2020), PorkyS4 (January 15th, 2020)

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by ponch23 View Post
    That's very positive in my opinion (1) not in the VIN list and (2) airbag date outside the defective airbag manufacture dates. However, the only way to really confirm (and have complete peace of mind) is to have the dealership confirm it. The annoying bit is (allegedly) they will charge a fee if your VIN is not in the list of affected vehicles.

If I was in the same situation, I would carry on to drive it and then have Audi check it later on when the situation has mellowed down a bit. As it stands, they are probably allocating resources first to affected VINs which makes sense to begin with...
    my S4 Avant (01 build/02 compliance) Vin checked fine with Audi over the phone, they said not affected nothing to worry about, i still want to update my details with Audi Aus though.. when the car is registered (not registered at the moment) after i get a chance to get it all together for RWC and rego...

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Matty.C For This Useful Post:

DirkOz (January 15th, 2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Byron Bateson View Post
    Hi all,

Byron.
    Thank you for sharing a comprehensive ownership story about your 1998 A4 1.8T Manual and your "Buyback Guinea Pig " experiences so far.
    Takata Airbag Recall 69AE
    I hope you are able to negotiate a fair, acceptable price, given your comparison with other similar vehicles.
    Would you mind sharing within another Group for their benefit? [See Link below]
    You would also have a Audi Customer Care Case Reference Number assigned to you, which is advisable to keep for and future correspondence.
    I have a "Parent" Case reference, meaning I have had more than one line of enquiry amalgamated into One File.
    1: Audi Australia Customer Care Phone 30/12/19.
    2: Audi Australia web Administrator via Contact Form
    3: Audi Australia Facebook via the FB Page
    4: Audi Dealership Phone and Face-to-Face
    I'm waiting patiently for answers to my many questions through all 4 avenues.
    Promise to share the answers only when the [perhaps further] questions are exhausted. [PM me if I don't get back to update by 22/1/20]

Are you already a member here? There has been a very rapid influx of new members seeking information about the process.

B5 OWNERS AUSTRALIA - Audi A4/S4/RS4 & B5 Passat Are you already a member?
    Since the ACCC 16th December AE69 announcement pertinent to the Models Specified, we have observed a very rapid influx of new Facebook Members seeking information about the Buyback Process.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to DirkOz For This Useful Post:

pcuk1971 (January 15th, 2020)

Dirk,

Some of us aren't on FB so very important to keep this channel open. No doubt FB exposure may push Audi to think about doing something but it doesn't keep us all in the loop about what is happening.

My situation to date, my three Audi that are not subject to recall have all been recognized as being Australian delivered cars (finally) but that is of little comfort as they have no known issues.

My A4 that has an issue has fallen into a hole. The current situation is that Audi have put in writing that they have no record of this locally delivered car. The car has one of the Takata airbags that appear to be the subject of the recall despite both Audi and the recall website saying it is clear. When I sent Audi proof of purchase plus a photo of the airbag, their advice is to contact my local dealer. My local dealer advises that nothing can be done as the car VIN is not on the database. The first circular argument, where audi can't find the car and the dealer can't fix it because it can't be found.

I let the FCAI know about the failure of the recall website and sent them copies of the proof of ownership etc. Their response was to just sent that to Audi to sort out. What can that achieve when other brands may have a similar issue?

I don't intend to sell my car to Audi, I'm going to push for a fix. There is a solution with a B6 wheel, airbag and harness and I understand a C5 allroad wheel, bag and harness, either of which would keep it functional and safe. The 3 spoke sports wheel looks very much like the A4 wheel so very little cosmetic difference.

I'll continue to post up progress or lack thereof here as time passes.

Quote Originally Posted by IchBautAuto View Post
    Dirk,

My A4 that has an issue has fallen into a hole. The current situation is that Audi have put in writing that they have no record of this locally delivered car. The car has one of the Takata airbags that appear to be the subject of the recall despite both Audi and the recall website saying it is clear. When I sent Audi proof of purchase plus a photo of the airbag, their advice is to contact my local dealer. My local dealer advises that nothing can be done as the car VIN is not on the database. The first circular argument, where audi can't find the car and the dealer can't fix it because it can't be found.

I let the FCAI know about the failure of the recall website and sent them copies of the proof of ownership etc. Their response was to just sent that to Audi to sort out. What can that achieve when other brands may have a similar issue?
    It's very frustrating when you can see the system/framework of the recall is screwed up. At least with mine, only the car was described incorrectly (A4 described as A6) and it has a TRW airbag. With yours it's a right screw up. Perhaps a new approach is to flag the obvious problem with the media, especially motoring journalists? Anyone here know anyone in the business? The whole Takata recall is made out to look like it's all running efficiently and systematically and the manufacturers are behaving responsibly but a number of interactions we've had indicate otherwise.

Current:
    2004 A6 C5 Sedan 3.0 V6 Quattro
    2005 A6 4F Sedan 3.2 V6 Quattro
    1999 A4 B5 Avant 2.4 V6

Retired:
    1990 100 Sedan 2.3
    1991 90 Sedan 2.3
    1999 A4 B5 Sedan 2.4 V6

reach out to the guys at car advise, I'm sure they'd like to do a piece on it..

I'll take a look at Car Advice, may be worthwhile.

Just to end today, after sending Audi a copy of the new car delivery docket with all my details and car rego on, this was extracted from a response I received late this afternoon:

"However, I am curious if your Audi is an import from overseas; this may be why we cannot view your VIN number in our Australian system."

What can I say?????