Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 82

Thread: B5 A4 Airbag Recall

  1. #51
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Blue Mountains, NSW
    Posts
    1,913
    Thanked: 49

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by IchBautAuto View Post
    I'll take a look at Car Advice, may be worthwhile.

    Just to end today, after sending Audi a copy of the new car delivery docket with all my details and car rego on, this was extracted from a response I received late this afternoon:

    "However, I am curious if your Audi is an import from overseas; this may be why we cannot view your VIN number in our Australian system."

    What can I say?????

    They can't view your VIN because they imbeciles! If they can't understand what a dealer delivery docket means, they need to hire people who can.

    This whole thing is getting Monty Pythonesque.

    Current:
    2004 A6 C5 Sedan 3.0 V6 Quattro
    2005 A6 C6 Sedan 3.2 V6 Quattro
    1999 A4 B5 Avant 2.4 V6

    Retired:
    1990 100 Sedan 2.3
    1991 90 Sedan 2.3
    1999 A4 B5 Sedan 2.4 V6

  2. The Following User Says Thank You to broke90 For This Useful Post:

    gmx (January 16th, 2020)

  3. #52

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Byron Bateson View Post
    Hi all,

    Haven't been on these forums for many a year but have been doing some reading into the issue as my 1998 A4 1.8T Manual has the airbag recall, and I took it in to my local Audi centre here on the GC and yep they have confirmed it's got the bad bag. I'll keep updating you guys as I go along as I can see you're starting to pull a bit of a resource together.

    Reason I've just gone straight in with it is I was kind of in the market for a new car anyway, so it's not earth shattering and is kind of a nice reason to finally let the old girl go. It's a bit of a ****ter but has been the most faithful car I've owned. Backgound:

    - It's been my daily driver for 6 years now (purchased for 7k), has 280K on the clock
    - Exterior is pretty shagged - the clear coat has been peeling of the green for years on the bonnet, roof and pillars, plus the rear wing was broken and a slight dent in the RHF guard
    - A/C is non-existent, RHR window doesn't wind down, the blower fan usually works but sometimes needs me to run over a pothole before it does
    - Clutch is pretty worn and slips under full load but does the job on the daily. Pads and rotors are down but still have a couple more services left
    - Otherwise the car is mechanically sound, I spent a fair bit of time and a relative amount of coin on repairing a lot of the mechanical components, and worked at a VW dealership so got a lot of minor work done on the cheap. It's been ultra reliable, uses next to no oil, has 500km old new Bridgestone Ecopia's on it.

    You get the picture anyway. As discussed it's a bit of a ****ter but it's worth a lot to me.

    Audi have kept it over the weekend (i took it in Friday) as the 3rd party valuer (cough bull**** cough) wasn't available until Monday. Didn't need the loaner as wasn't going anywhere (summer uni - hooray), but will definitely take them up on it if it extends past Monday.

    Ready for pretty lengthy discussion with Audi Customer Care as to the 'emotional' value of the car rather than the market price (similar carsales samples with nice paint are between 1.5 - 3.5k) but is no way I'll get into a car as good as mine for that much.

    I'll keep you updated - happy to be the guinea pig!

    Byron.
    Hi all again,

    So Audi came back with a valuation of $600 + $300 for the registration on the vehicle. As you can imagine I'm not at all happy with that so was asked to write a letter explaining why I believed the vehicle was worth more and the dealership is going back to Audi to contest.

    Be interesting to see where it goes from here. When I was picking up the loan car there was about 10 A4/TT's sitting in a graveyard in the carpark so there are obviously a few people in similar situations.

    I'll keep you in the loop.

    Byron.

  4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Byron Bateson For This Useful Post:

    100_quattroluap (January 15th, 2020), pcuk1971 (January 16th, 2020), PorkyS4 (January 17th, 2020), TheChenga (February 1st, 2020)

  5. #53

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by broke90 View Post
    They can't view your VIN because they imbeciles! If they can't understand what a dealer delivery docket means, they need to hire people who can.

    This whole thing is getting Monty Pythonesque.
    Update: advised about 6pm that Audi had located my car "somewhere" in their system and acknowledged that it exists. Included in that email was advice that it is not subject to the airbag recall. Now this may be so or may not. Now I have to chase up the exact definition of which airbag is the subject and see if I'm still in the frame. Afraid that advice generates very little confidence atm. My Takata was manufactured on 30 - 05 - 2000 so that may be a factor????
    C5 RS6: APR, Milltek & Wagner -- B5 RS4 : tastefully modified -- Audi 1.8 quattro 132 Kw -- UNIMOG 404 TLF8

  6. #54

    Default

    Here in the ACT this seems to be the position on rego from an insurance company website:
    ACT
    In the ACT Access Canberra stated, “the Takata airbag recall does not automatically make the vehicle unregisterable under state or territory transport laws… state and territory registration authorities are considering vehicle registration sanctions for vehicles fitted with high risk defective Takata 'alpha' airbag inflators.”

    I have had little success so far in pinning down specific part numbers for defective air bags. It appears worldwide that everything is tied to the car VIN. If you are a parts dealer (new or S/H) then you are not in the loop. The Consumer Goods (Motor Vehicles With
    Affected Takata Airbag Inflators and Specified Spare Parts) Recall Notice 2018 states that:

    Affected Takata Airbag Inflator means a frontal driver or passenger airbag
    inflator made by Takata that uses either Phase Stabilised Ammonium Nitrate
    (PSAN) without desiccant (including an Alpha Inflator) or PSAN with
    calcium sulphate desiccant.
    Alpha Inflator means an inflator made by Takata using Phase Stabilised
    Ammonium Nitrate propellant, which is a PSDI inflator manufactured
    between 1 August 2000 and 31 December 2001, or an SPI, PSPI or PSPI-L
    inflator manufactured between 1 August 2000 and 31 December 2002.

    Sadly, the further you get into this, the more fragmented the information becomes. Clearly manufacturing dates do play a part in some examples but the PSAN type are less clear.
    C5 RS6: APR, Milltek & Wagner -- B5 RS4 : tastefully modified -- Audi 1.8 quattro 132 Kw -- UNIMOG 404 TLF8

  7. #55
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Sheffield,Tasmania
    Posts
    257
    Thanked: 13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by IchBautAuto View Post
    Here in the ACT this seems to be the position on rego from an insurance company website:
    ACT
    In the ACT Access Canberra stated, “the Takata airbag recall does not automatically make the vehicle unregisterable under state or territory transport laws… state and territory registration authorities are considering vehicle registration sanctions for vehicles fitted with high risk defective Takata 'alpha' airbag inflators.”

    I have had little success so far in pinning down specific part numbers for defective air bags. It appears worldwide that everything is tied to the car VIN. If you are a parts dealer (new or S/H) then you are not in the loop. The Consumer Goods (Motor Vehicles With
    Affected Takata Airbag Inflators and Specified Spare Parts) Recall Notice 2018 states that:

    Affected Takata Airbag Inflator means a frontal driver or passenger airbag
    inflator made by Takata that uses either Phase Stabilised Ammonium Nitrate
    (PSAN) without desiccant (including an Alpha Inflator) or PSAN with
    calcium sulphate desiccant.
    Alpha Inflator means an inflator made by Takata using Phase Stabilised
    Ammonium Nitrate propellant, which is a PSDI inflator manufactured
    between 1 August 2000 and 31 December 2001, or an SPI, PSPI or PSPI-L
    inflator manufactured between 1 August 2000 and 31 December 2002.

    Sadly, the further you get into this, the more fragmented the information becomes. Clearly manufacturing dates do play a part in some examples but the PSAN type are less clear.

    document (in German) online

    This was posted by a member in an earlier post its all in German dated 2012 from what I can see. Just makes you realize how big the issue is. It will make you more confused.
    Current - 2007 B7 RS4 Avant, APR Stage 3, Milltek with Hi Flo Cats, GruppeM intake, Sachs Clutch, Factory Ceramics, JHM Shifter, RS6 FBSTW, AMI & Hi Res RSNE
    Current - 2012 B8 A4, 2.0T Quattro Avant SLine
    Current - 2001 B5 S4 Imola Yellow Avant
    Current - 1989 B3 90 Quattro - 7A NA Engine, (Long Term Restoration Project)
    Current - 1984 WR Ur Quattro

  8. The Following User Says Thank You to Tas_Audi For This Useful Post:

    IchBautAuto (January 17th, 2020)

  9. #56

    Default

    327 pages. I'll dust of my very rusty German and have a read, in between mucking with RS6 dampers and choosing new tyres. At least I can honestly say I'm not consumed by the air bag saga, plenty of other frustrating stuff on the list.
    C5 RS6: APR, Milltek & Wagner -- B5 RS4 : tastefully modified -- Audi 1.8 quattro 132 Kw -- UNIMOG 404 TLF8

  10. #57

    Default

    Just to bring everything up to date, AUDI have had their skates on and I've had a call from AA to clarify the situation. My airbag is not subject to the recall. So the BAM bags dated 2000 onwards are not part of the recall. Of course I'm happy with that and no more research needed.

    Once we finally got things mobile, Audi have been very helpful and in the last 24 hours things have been resolved for me at least.
    C5 RS6: APR, Milltek & Wagner -- B5 RS4 : tastefully modified -- Audi 1.8 quattro 132 Kw -- UNIMOG 404 TLF8

  11. #58

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by IchBautAuto View Post
    Just to bring everything up to date, AUDI have had their skates on and I've had a call from AA to clarify the situation. My airbag is not subject to the recall. So the BAM bags dated 2000 onwards are not part of the recall. Of course I'm happy with that and no more research needed.

    Once we finally got things mobile, Audi have been very helpful and in the last 24 hours things have been resolved for me at least.
    The issue is that they're only happy because you're happy with the outcome, it's less money that Audi as a whole has to spend and assumably less paperwork.

    I'm still not taking my A4 in til they actually provide a reasonable outcome, I realise that it won't happen until this becomes a legal manner of the car not being roadworthy / compulsory recall but I'm happy to wait and actually use the car.

    Chances are we're still far more likely to die due to the car accident then the bag itself.. It's a slim chance that the bag actually has issues, airbags are meant to be "serviced" every 10-15 years it seems from documentation in owners manuals/online, old airbags commonly just don't work or go off, you'd also have to have an accident severe enough that the airbag does go off and the incident would have to be not bad enough to actually kill you. I.E you hit a solid wall at 110kp/h, you're pretty much going to be dead regardless of if you have a faulty airbag or not.
    Current - 1999.5 B5 A4 1.8TQS

    • K03-029
    • 3' Exhaust
    • KW v1's and more

    Current - 2010.5 R36 Passat (B6)

    • Stock exhaust w/Stupidly sized exhaust tips
    • BBS Speedlines 19x9 ET33
    • Poly Dogbone Mount & Subframe Locking Kit


    Past - 1994 B4 80 V6 (2.6), 1992 B3 80 (2.0)

  12. #59

    Default

    The Audi component about being happy wasn't an airbag thing, it was actually finally finding the records for a car that they sold. That was going to be nasty in the context of the airbag recall as the system as set up would have been conclusively proven to not work. Even more interesting, the authorities managing the recall weren't interested in flaws in the system either. For all the hoopla, behind the scenes it's not so concerned.

    Overall you'd probably be safer driving without the airbag but if you want to look down the barrel when pulling the trigger, that's your choice. The more impressionable members might actually think you're recommending an alternative course of action.
    C5 RS6: APR, Milltek & Wagner -- B5 RS4 : tastefully modified -- Audi 1.8 quattro 132 Kw -- UNIMOG 404 TLF8

  13. #60
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Blue Mountains, NSW
    Posts
    1,913
    Thanked: 49

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by IchBautAuto View Post
    That was going to be nasty in the context of the airbag recall as the system as set up would have been conclusively proven to not work. Even more interesting, the authorities managing the recall weren't interested in flaws in the system either. For all the hoopla, behind the scenes it's not so concerned.

    That's what's annoying about the whole thing - there's this impression of Audi being a responsible company and taking care of its customers when they're not. And the authorities who have the power to force the companies to fix up the flaws of the system couldn't care less. The few of us here who investigated further may now have some peace of mind but what about the many whose cars might be affected but because of the flaws of the system have simply been told "Yours is OK, It isn't on the VIN list so it's not affected."


    Quote Originally Posted by IchBautAuto View Post
    Overall you'd probably be safer driving without the airbag but if you want to look down the barrel when pulling the trigger, that's your choice.

    Is that even allowed? Back in the good ol' days everyone could double the value of their POS with a Momo steering wheel but nowadays, wouldn't changing the steering wheel be considered a modification that changes the level of safety of the car as supplied by the manufacturer, and therefore render it not roadworthy? And from there the matter of legality and insurance should there be an accident.

    Current:
    2004 A6 C5 Sedan 3.0 V6 Quattro
    2005 A6 C6 Sedan 3.2 V6 Quattro
    1999 A4 B5 Avant 2.4 V6

    Retired:
    1990 100 Sedan 2.3
    1991 90 Sedan 2.3
    1999 A4 B5 Sedan 2.4 V6

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •