Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: B5 A4 Airbag Recall

Default B5 A4 Airbag Recall

Hey guys.

Haven't posted much here lately.

But I'm sure a lot of you have heard about the recall, if not there's a link below.

https://www.caradvice.com.au/814735/...akata-buyback/

Essentially my local Audi have advised that they will be inspecting cars and if effected paying out owners "fair market value" OR you can sign a waiver to take responsibility for the airbag and any damages.

I'm sure a lot of people here have modified or clean examples, you'll want to confirm your vin is effected or contact the Audi Takata line with your vin.

I think it'd be a good idea to track what offers people are getting, my local dealership has offered to not check the bag and price the car before evaluating, but I feel like this still isn't good enough as you're stuck with the choice of potentially unregisterable car or what would assumably be sub 3k (redbook value for a 99 A4 Quattro is 4.1k MAX).

Very interesting to hear your stories so we can figure out our best plans of action. If it's a fact please comment that so we can determine what's actually known and what to actually do.

I'm going to have a long hard think about this personally, the A4 is my secondary car right now so I'm in no rush.

At this rate I won't be buying another Audi, it's very poor that they're going to just crush the cars when other manafacturers are actually thinking about the consumer and the environment. If they change their stance I'll change mine..
    Current - 1999.5 B5 A4 1.8TQS

• K03-029
    • 3' Exhaust
    • KW v1's and more

Current - 2010.5 R36 Passat (B6)

• Stock exhaust w/Stupidly sized exhaust tips
    • BBS Speedlines 19x9 ET33
    • Poly Dogbone Mount & Subframe Locking Kit

Past - 1994 B4 80 V6 (2.6), 1992 B3 80 (2.0)

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Matt-Matt For This Useful Post:

100_quattroluap (December 30th, 2019), DirkOz (December 28th, 2019), Matty.C (January 13th, 2020)

Good idea. I also suggest people challenge the listing if their car model is in the recall but not on the list.

http://www.ozaudi.com/forums/showthr...-Airbag-Recall

Current:
    2004 A6 C5 Sedan 3.0 V6 Quattro
    2005 A6 C6 Sedan 3.2 V6 Quattro
    1999 A4 B5 Avant 2.4 V6

Retired:
    1990 100 Sedan 2.3
    1991 90 Sedan 2.3
    1999 A4 B5 Sedan 2.4 V6

I'm yet to read any comments on Broke90's similar post, but my thoughts on the recall are this:

1. It is currently a voluntary recall. I'm not sure what Audi's legal obligations are under Australian Consumer Law with regards to voluntary recalls, but I don't think there's an age limit on faulty manufacture.
    2. The current Takata compulsory recall forces manufacturers to remanufacture or replace the airbags on all affected vehicles. So they have no choice in the matter under the compulsory recall.
    3. Audi cannot force you to sell your car to them, or sign a waiver absolving them of responsibility for faulty manufacture.
    In fact, I would be questioning their entire approach to this. Coersion is not pretty.
    4. As it's a voluntary recall, I don't see how affected cars can be made unroadworthy/unregisterable as a result. If they get declared unsafe to be on the roads through no fault of current owners, then Audi will be obligated to fix them.
    5. Hope the ACCC upgrades this to a compulsory recall and force VW (yet again) to do what they should be doing anyway.

So if you like your affected car, currently ignore any attempt to communicate from Audi.

I've sent a letter to the ACCC enquiring about Audi's handling of this and their legal obligations. I'm yet to hear back (Only sent a few hours ago)
    Marty

---
    Current:
    2001 S8 - 19" x 9" C5 RS6 rims, Solar Sunroof, heated leather front and rear seats, tinted side and rear glass, RNS-D, XCarlink, Bose, clunky old phone in arm rest...
    2002 S8 - 18" RS4 reps (for now), Solar Sunroof, 'Sports' mode shifter... Engine dropped valve on PO - work in progress...

Gone but not forgotten:
    ​1997 A4 Quattro V6 Manual "Hamilton's Club Sport"

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 27litres For This Useful Post:

100_quattroluap (December 30th, 2019), DirkOz (December 28th, 2019)

Shocking! They will never play a fair game with any potential buy backs.
    Glad to see the S4 is yet to be effected...
    APR
    WAUZZZ

FWIW the BMW E46 3 series is subject to the same action, and from what I understand some of the buyback prices have been on the generous side so it may be worth at least going through the process and seeing what sort of number gets put on the cars.

Quote Originally Posted by TheChenga View Post
    Shocking! They will never play a fair game with any potential buy backs.
    Glad to see the S4 is yet to be effected...
    Hopefully this is a misleading comment as you infer that it is only a matter of time.........
    Dingah

2015 SQ5 TDI Sold
    2017 RSQ3 Performance Sold
    2018 S4
    Mrs B's Tiguan R-Line + APR

Quote Originally Posted by 27litres View Post
    I'm yet to read any comments on Broke90's similar post, but my thoughts on the recall are this:

1. It is currently a voluntary recall. I'm not sure what Audi's legal obligations are under Australian Consumer Law with regards to voluntary recalls, but I don't think there's an age limit on faulty manufacture.
    2. The current Takata compulsory recall forces manufacturers to remanufacture or replace the airbags on all affected vehicles. So they have no choice in the matter under the compulsory recall.
    3. Audi cannot force you to sell your car to them, or sign a waiver absolving them of responsibility for faulty manufacture.
    In fact, I would be questioning their entire approach to this. Coersion is not pretty.
    4. As it's a voluntary recall, I don't see how affected cars can be made unroadworthy/unregisterable as a result. If they get declared unsafe to be on the roads through no fault of current owners, then Audi will be obligated to fix them.
    5. Hope the ACCC upgrades this to a compulsory recall and force VW (yet again) to do what they should be doing anyway.

So if you like your affected car, currently ignore any attempt to communicate from Audi.

I've sent a letter to the ACCC enquiring about Audi's handling of this and their legal obligations. I'm yet to hear back (Only sent a few hours ago)
    I see, so this isn't a compulsory recall currently? That changes a lot.

In terms of money to the other commenter, I mean yeah redbook value maxes at 4k or so. I've heard from E46 owners that they were being offered 2k or so, I was trying to do research on it but didn't find much. My computer is in bits on my dining room table right now so forced to use my phone makes it difficult.
    Current - 1999.5 B5 A4 1.8TQS

• K03-029
    • 3' Exhaust
    • KW v1's and more

Current - 2010.5 R36 Passat (B6)

• Stock exhaust w/Stupidly sized exhaust tips
    • BBS Speedlines 19x9 ET33
    • Poly Dogbone Mount & Subframe Locking Kit

Past - 1994 B4 80 V6 (2.6), 1992 B3 80 (2.0)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Matt-Matt For This Useful Post:

DirkOz (December 28th, 2019)

I’m aware of someone who bought a POS E46 for around $650 recently and had it bought back a matter of weeks later for $6k.

Quote Originally Posted by Dingah View Post
    Hopefully this is a misleading comment as you infer that it is only a matter of time.........
    A4/s4/rs4 share a lot of the same parts even though they may have different assembly factories.
    I would be concerned with this recall also potentially effecting the S4 B5, but nothing mentioned in articles or recall. All clear.
    Last edited by TheChenga; December 20th, 2019 at 07:46 PM.
    APR
    WAUZZZ

Quote Originally Posted by 27litres View Post

Thanks for posting and thanks for writing a letter to the ACCC. Did you email them? I think that I will write them also.

I have been feeling very sick since they announced the latest recall. I only found out when my father rang me to let me know.

I have recently (about 4 weeks ago) bought an extremely lovely D2 S8. It is the nicest car that I have ever owned or driven. You can probably imagine how I am feeling about selling my D2 to Audi, so it is heartening to see the resistance on this forum to the approach that Audi is taking. I am very grateful for the insights that you have shared.

Consider what BMW have said about their affected vehicles!

In particular, I found this passage very interesting. ...
    ..."We still haven't concluded whether there's actually a real problem or not, but we didn't want to wait for the [coroner's inquest].

"We're giving them the option to rent a car, we can buy back your car. We're working with each and every customer to ensure that they're mobile and that they're being looked after even though it's a 20-year old car.

"We'll store it if someone wants to keep it – if it's a collector's car. There's a time to repair it; we can store it for them until that time..."

Quote Originally Posted by broke90 View Post
    Good idea. I also suggest people challenge the listing if their car model is in the recall but not on the list.

http://www.ozaudi.com/forums/showthr...-Airbag-Recall

That is what I had in mind to do, especially as they could not even bother to distinguish an S8 from an A8, but sadly my VIN is listed in the document that Audi has circulated.

That prompted me to examine the details of my airbag myself:

AirBag_details.jpg
    Here are the details written on the back of my airbag. It mentions "bam-pt1-0593".

I found a document (in German) online which lists this code. Worryingly, it is associated with "NADI" propellant, but does not mention the "NADI 5-AT" phrase that I have seen bandied about in relation to the TAKATA recall. I don't pretend to understand the intricacies of this. Does anyone? I would love find some more information about these specifics.
    Last edited by 100_quattroluap; December 20th, 2019 at 09:16 PM.
    1998 D2 series S8
    1994 C4 series Audi 100 quattro, 2.8L AAH engine, 4 speed Automatic transmission (AET CEZ).
    1995 C4 series Audi A6 quattro sedan 2.6l ABC
    1995 C4 series Audi A6 quattro Avant 2.6l ABC

14. The Following User Says Thank You to 100_quattroluap For This Useful Post:

DirkOz (December 28th, 2019)