Thread: Tailgate led light problem

Default Tailgate led light problem

Hi to All,
    Have been away for some time.
    My 2010 A4B8 tip Quattro, tailgate lights ( both side inners ) are on the way out. Getting the warning signal on the dash. It appears that the led lights ( the problem ) are not replaceable, a new unit at $633 a side is required.
    Has anyone encounter this and is there a fix / replacement option as the cost is prohibitive. I have seen similar unit from the US a little cheaper, but prefer not to take that route.
    Any thoughts without the Dealers dipping into my pockets

Regards
    John

Can somebody please educate me on the benefits of a $633 LED tailgate light unit vs a $1 light bulb?

Current:
    2004 A6 C5 Sedan 3.0 V6 Quattro
    2005 A6 C6 Sedan 3.2 V6 Quattro
    1999 A4 B5 Avant 2.4 V6

Retired:
    1990 100 Sedan 2.3
    1991 90 Sedan 2.3
    1999 A4 B5 Sedan 2.4 V6

Quote Originally Posted by broke90 View Post
    Can somebody please educate me on the benefits of a $633 LED tailgate light unit vs a $1 light bulb?
    Dear broke 90,
    Yes you are right. They do look nice, just not practical for the price. The Dealer said, well the lasted nearly ten years and leds are long lasting. If I replaced a bulb each year I would be out of pocket no more than $50.
    I see some Chinese knockoffs on eBay, may give them a try, looks like no one has secured another source of supply or tried to retrofit.
    This is what I find so annoying, the lack of investigation or seeking alternatives. Not just here but also on a BMW motorcycle Forum. Ten years ago there was so much information from members about maintenance, now very little, either we now have too much money and just leave repairs to the Dealers, just not interested or can not bear to separated from the mobile phone. Not the AUSTRALIA that I had known, just sad.
    Reminds me of a bathroom window that needed repair. Quoted $2000 for replacement only not repairable. Window was fixed for about $50. Just too much BS out there.

Regards
    john

do a search on the part number on ebay and see what comes up. A lot of the time you can find one on UK ebay that will suit.

Quote Originally Posted by johnvw View Post
    The Dealer said, well the lasted nearly ten years and leds are long lasting.

If the bit that died was replaceable, and even if it's $100 then the argument that it lasted 10 years would be pretty fair. While $100 may seem steep compared with a $1 (or even $5) bulb, I'm sure not having to regularly replace it would be a benefit to some/many. It just feels so wasteful and costly to replace the WHOLE unit. Unfortunately, car electricals are much more complex than even just 10 years ago. Not many would have the ability to diagnose and replace a broken part within a unit. Your bathroom window - that's the guy just lazy or wants to rip you off. He'd probably could have got an easy $100-300 if he tried to fix it.

Current:
    2004 A6 C5 Sedan 3.0 V6 Quattro
    2005 A6 C6 Sedan 3.2 V6 Quattro
    1999 A4 B5 Avant 2.4 V6

Retired:
    1990 100 Sedan 2.3
    1991 90 Sedan 2.3
    1999 A4 B5 Sedan 2.4 V6