Thread: RSNE-Colour MFA

Default RSNE-Colour MFA

I running a Hi Res RSN-E and Colour MFA in my B5 S4. The MFA was installed in 2017 and from then until now I have never been able to get the clocks to synchronize correctly or so I thought. It is supposed to with the Colour MFA. Anyway I put up with the issue until now when I installed the latest MFA firmware that had a rewritten CAN driver by the developers and found I still had the same issue, or I thought I did. I did some hunting and found the CAN message that is sent to the RSN-E and for example it read 10 10 xx 03 02 14 14, all values are hex values, xx = seconds. 10 10 is the time, decoded it is equates to 16:16. 03 02 14 14 is the date and decoded equates 03 02 2020.

My issue is that the RSN-E is displaying the Hex values not the decimal equivalent values, so all along the data has been correct just displayed in Hex not Decimal. The year displays as 2014 as I assume the 20 is hardcoded into the firmware. 14 in Hex = 20 in decimal.

I have looked at coding and adaption settings for the RSN-E nothing works. I can change time and date on the cluster clock and can see the changes immediately.

I have done a cold boot but that didn't work either. I am also assuming the MFA CAN messaging is correct, but I know other users don't have issues.

Anybody any clues.... and don't say junk the RSN-E, its getting the better of me, need to sort it.
    Current - 2007 B7 RS4 Avant, APR Stage 3, Milltek with Hi Flo Cats, GruppeM intake, Sachs Clutch, Factory Ceramics, JHM Shifter, RS6 FBSTW, AMI & Hi Res RSNE
    Current - 2012 B8 A4, 2.0T Quattro Avant SLine
    Current - 2001 B5 S4 Imola Yellow Avant
    Current - 1989 B3 90 Quattro - 7A NA Engine, (Long Term Restoration Project)
    Current - 1984 WR Ur Quattro

Following. Have a potentially related issue with the RS6. I have a C5 colour DIS / MFA that I bought for the allroad that I have now allocated to the RS6 in the eternal hope that it will be compatible.

My RS6 has had a RSN-E early version fitted. The RS6 plus came with this system as standard and I'm assuming that Audi found a factory way to integrate it rather than the aftermarket solution that I seem to have. In mine, I have removed the TMC unit as it wasn't connected at all but I don't know what functionality is missing in bypassing it. The RNS-E is wired directly from the rear of the unit to the cluster.

The problem that I have is in the K-Line somewhere as I have a P3 gauge that won't connect via the OBD port. The gauge is meant for the RS6 and has dedicated configuration setting for this install but in this case, it just isn't!!! My assumption is the install method may have compromised the designed data management in some way.

Relevance,maybe nil but there might be something in the method of RNS-E fit impacting on your issue. I haven't had the time but I can probably eventually find the wiring for the RS6 Plus somewhere that would explain how the factory did the install.
    C5 RS6: APR, Milltek & Wagner -- B5 RS4 : tastefully modified -- Audi 1.8 quattro 132 Kw -- UNIMOG 404 TLF8

Quote Originally Posted by IchBautAuto View Post
    Following. Have a potentially related issue with the RS6. I have a C5 colour DIS / MFA that I bought for the allroad that I have now allocated to the RS6 in the eternal hope that it will be compatible.

....Relevance,maybe nil but there might be something in the method of RNS-E fit impacting on your issue. I haven't had the time but I can probably eventually find the wiring for the RS6 Plus somewhere that would explain how the factory did the install.
    Tony, FYI the Colour MFA PCB is the same no matter what car you use it in. The only difference is how you complete the internal wiring. In my case I built mine around the C5A6 even though it went into a B5S4. TR input 7 is different between the A6 and A4. So when I load B5A4 firmware I always get a drivers door alarm. So I'll stick with the A6 firmware atm as I am not inclined to pull apart the RS4 cluster again.

I need to read the start of your post again, my brain is fried atm. I am going to try the original RSN-E that I removed from the RS4 and try it in the S4 and see what happens. I have a feeling 193 model number units need to have a early software downloaded to fix my issue. Still to try. Send me a PM if you want more info on the MFA I have a good understanding of what can and cant be done with the MFA
    Current - 2007 B7 RS4 Avant, APR Stage 3, Milltek with Hi Flo Cats, GruppeM intake, Sachs Clutch, Factory Ceramics, JHM Shifter, RS6 FBSTW, AMI & Hi Res RSNE
    Current - 2012 B8 A4, 2.0T Quattro Avant SLine
    Current - 2001 B5 S4 Imola Yellow Avant
    Current - 1989 B3 90 Quattro - 7A NA Engine, (Long Term Restoration Project)
    Current - 1984 WR Ur Quattro

Wish I was as informed as you are on this. Back to school for me.

Overseas, others are having issues with RNS-E too. This from a guy yesterday

"mine has the newer rns-e which looks like it came from the factory all the connectors etc look, but I did try and add a 30pin bluetooth adapter and I was unable to enable it via VCDS because of some sort of kline issue with the rns-e"

Looks like there is a common thread in this issue, it'll come to light eventually.

C5 RS6: APR, Milltek & Wagner -- B5 RS4 : tastefully modified -- Audi 1.8 quattro 132 Kw -- UNIMOG 404 TLF8