Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Loud crack and then..

1. Default

Quote Originally Posted by broke90 View Post
    Take a photo from the end of the link to show the torn surface. It might tell the direction of the tear. The surface pattern changes from start to finish of a tear. If from top to bottom then it's likely someone jacked it from underneath, creating a crack from the top.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oem part?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

What condition are the roads in your area?
    Wouldn’t be surprised if your from Adelaide lol

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That photo doesn't look like a jack fault. The tear is from left to right. Those round ripple marks on the left means successive bending and ripping apart of the arm. The crystalline surface on the right is when the arm finally ripped apart in one go. The left side of the photo looks like the front of the car (?) so it appears the arm has a weak point on the front edge. Every acceleration and braking action would then flexed that arm to failure.

Current:
    2004 A6 C5 Sedan 3.0 V6 Quattro
    2005 A6 4F Sedan 3.2 V6 Quattro
    1999 A4 B5 Avant 2.4 V6

Retired:
    1990 100 Sedan 2.3
    1991 90 Sedan 2.3
    1999 A4 B5 Sedan 2.4 V6

Quote Originally Posted by broke90 View Post
    That photo doesn't look like a jack fault. The tear is from left to right. Those round ripple marks on the left means successive bending and ripping apart of the arm. The crystalline surface on the right is when the arm finally ripped apart in one go. The left side of the photo looks like the front of the car (?) so it appears the arm has a weak point on the front edge. Every acceleration and braking action would then flexed that arm to failure.
    Is that not the front RH wheel? That would put the weak point at the rear of the front lower suspension arm. All very difficult to comment on. What ever happened, it will be good to get a final definitive answer.
    C5 RS6: Sportec, Milltek & Wagner -- B5 RS4 : tastefully modified -- Audi 1.8 quattro 132 Kw -- UNIMOG 404 TLF8

Quote Originally Posted by IchBautAuto View Post
    Is that not the front RH wheel? That would put the weak point at the rear of the front lower suspension arm. All very difficult to comment on. What ever happened, it will be good to get a final definitive answer.
    I thought it's the front left because the steering rod end would be on the trailing side. If it's the front right then that would put the tie rod on the leading side and I thought that would put the rack right through the engine. I'm not familiar with the layout of the Q.

Current:
    2004 A6 C5 Sedan 3.0 V6 Quattro
    2005 A6 4F Sedan 3.2 V6 Quattro
    1999 A4 B5 Avant 2.4 V6

Retired:
    1990 100 Sedan 2.3
    1991 90 Sedan 2.3
    1999 A4 B5 Sedan 2.4 V6

Me neither. I see what seems to be the lower rear arm in the first two photos. The second shows the drive shaft between the two lower arms and the ARB to the right which would put it in front of the engine. Other than that I have to look at the badge to see what model it is.
    C5 RS6: Sportec, Milltek & Wagner -- B5 RS4 : tastefully modified -- Audi 1.8 quattro 132 Kw -- UNIMOG 404 TLF8

2014 SQ5

Nothing there Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by hoodcj11 View Post
    SQ5 2013 Australian Mechanical last week

Got it from here