Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Saving an A1

Default Saving an A1

Been posting randomly on my A1 I recently bought at a very good price.
    Thought Iíd just make an official post documenting my work on saving this little beast.
    With only 74,100kms on the clock I know there is still a lot of life left in this thing, and my wife insisted on getting another A1 after I sold her A1 sport a few years back because the DSG was a nightmare.

So I looked everywhere for a A1 S-line in manual but was starting to think that there is no such delivery in Australia till I found this TDI S-line. Far as I know this is the only S-line manual being that iv never seen one before.

Anyway itís in pretty bad shape with some desperate need of attention. Paint had severe iron contamination all over the car.

A hit with autoglym magma did the trick

Like honestly I didnít think it would work this good.
    I tried everything to get these black specks off. Tried clay bar, tar remover and polish. Nothing would move it till I used this stuff.
    After couple of washes and applying it again ,it eventually all came off with the pressure washer.

As the sun was going down I thought Iíd take a quick pic with the phone. After doing some editing,I now have a new iPad/ phone wallpaper

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by TYR382; March 29th, 2020 at 11:28 PM.

Default Saving an A1

Next I got to work on the servicing part of it all starting with the coolant. The pressure tank was completely rusted out to a point it was impossible to even see the level of the coolant.

After removing it and endless scrubbing I finally got it to a decent standard.

Ones that was done I ran a Penrite coolant flush for 10 minutes and what came out was pigs vomit

Spent an hour for ever flushing and filling till there was no more debris.

Using the coolant charge kit vacing out the system to -.8 bar and holding it for an hour, I was confident that there was no leaks that I had suspicions about as to why this coolant was so bad.
    Only explanation I can think of is that whomever did the last coolant change used tap water or something.
    Apparently this car went to a ďmechanicĒ and got a full ďserviceĒ which included a ďoil changeĒ and a so called ďcoolant flushĒ
    I have the invoice and work job for this so called service that was done on it.
    Fair trade case?

Any way after all that I called it a day as I was soaking wet

Last edited by TYR382; March 29th, 2020 at 11:32 PM.

Default Saving an A1

Next was the oil and brake fluid.

Even though this Man filter isnít OEM, it definitely seemed to be more quality then the Mahle filter that is OEM.

Since I was going to be jacking the car up on the hoist I decided to do a deep clean of the front of the under body, engine bay and plenum.

Brake fluid was pretty bad.

Massive improvement on the clutch after the flush.

Next was the deep clean and it needed it.

Wheel arches got a good clean out

Ones the service and clean was done I gave it a good foam and wash down

Last edited by TYR382; March 29th, 2020 at 11:36 PM.

From this

To this

Iím pretty excited with the results so far. Itís showing me that there is no outstanding damage on this car. I was worried that the paint was faded and would start to flake away with the pressure washer, but itís looking like it just rolled out of the factory now so Iím even more happy with the purchase being that how cheep it was.

Garage clean for next job which will be the rear end of the car thatís needing cleaning.

Will continue with the service such as air and pollen filters, and possible new rotors and pars.
    Still decide if I want to upgrade to a set of Porsche callipers for the front.

Great work!

It’ll be good to track your progress with the A1 in this dedicated thread.

Trying to hunt down this parking assistance fault now.

I believe the buzzer is stuffed so it should be a cheep fix

I just think itís strange that a buzzer can disable the whole unit.
    Odis can communicate with the control unit so I donít think thereís anything wrong there.

I do believe the boxer has an open circuit.

Should be a cheep fix.

I really want the parking sensors

There is a specific fault code for a faulty speaker/buzzer. Can you confirm what the exact code is?

Issue is most likely with either the speaker/buzzer or a specific sensor. Either one of those issues can result in the whole system effectively going offline (so that it doesn't give false positives).

Quote Originally Posted by Alister View Post
    There is a specific fault code for a faulty speaker/buzzer. Can you confirm what the exact code is?
    Coming up as a B107C14 code

I think that is a code for the front speaker/buzzer. Check the connector and pins. If that doesn't resolve it you likely need to replace it.