Thread: Painting in a tent

Default Painting in a tent

Looking at learning to paint but need a place to do it.
    Canít really do it in the garage being that I rent and I couldnít be bothered to tape up every thing.
    Was wondering if itís possible to set up a tent of some sort in the back yard with filtered ventilation. Something that I can set up wash down and fold back up.
    Iv seen ones for painting whole cars but Iím just looking at just doing pumpers and panels.

Any reason this would be a bad idea?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Dust. It'll be in the fabric, on the floor covering etc. You might filter the air but to get a similar result to a paint booth you'd need something like a carcoon which is very expensive for that application. Anything is possible of course but the amount of work vs the result is a likely killer if it's a modern car. Different outcome if it's a classic, the quality of the OE paint was low by comparison with todays efforts, even for the cheapest clunker. Way back, cars were painted with a brush and they got a damn good result. Todays paint and booths need to be state of the art just to get the quality finish we all take for granted.
    C5 RS6: Sportec, Milltek & Wagner -- B5 RS4 : tastefully modified -- Audi 1.8 quattro 132 Kw -- UNIMOG 404 TLF8

Extremely fiddly to set up a flexible film booth like that. A mate of mine has a new big shed garage with sealed floor that you can eat off. He rigged up a marquee with clear plastic film for walls inside the garage. He said the result is just OK, not wow. And that's with a lot of fiddling around with the fan to get some airflow but not enough to affect spraying. Good luck.

Current:
    2004 A6 C5 Sedan 3.0 V6 Quattro
    2005 A6 4F Sedan 3.2 V6 Quattro
    1999 A4 B5 Avant 2.4 V6

Retired:
    1990 100 Sedan 2.3
    1991 90 Sedan 2.3
    1999 A4 B5 Sedan 2.4 V6

Dust is in consideration hence the filtered fan making a positive pressure inside.
    Also prior painting I could even soak the entire thing with water trapping any lose dust to the surface. I can set this up in my garage as well in a way I can feed an air duct from a heated fan unit in and adjust the temperature as needed. If I had the room I would just make a collapsible paint booth with fold away walls, but I got not where to store anything like that. A tent is more ideal for my situation.
    Was hoping someone had done some thing like this and could give some real insight on doing such a project.

My mate's setup was inside an immaculately clean shed so no dirt, just some dust. You using an air filter or sorts will help with trapping dirt going into the tent, but won't help stirring up the dirt or dust that's inside the tent. It'll be down to getting the balance of airflow vs turbulence. If you've got the time and the motivation then go for it, even if it's for some self-education. Work on the airflow.

Current:
    1999 A4 B5 Avant 2.4 V6

Retired:
    1990 100 Sedan 2.3
    1991 90 Sedan 2.3
    1999 A4 B5 Sedan 2.4 V6

Quote Originally Posted by broke90 View Post
    My mate's setup was inside an immaculately clean shed so no dirt, just some dust. You using an air filter or sorts will help with trapping dirt going into the tent, but won't help stirring up the dirt or dust that's inside the tent. It'll be down to getting the balance of airflow vs turbulence. If you've got the time and the motivation then go for it, even if it's for some self-education. Work on the airflow.
    Spot on. Water used to damp down is also an issue, or rather the humidity is. Get that wrong and the paint will bloom. As I said previously, nothing is impossible but only you can decide if the level of effort to address the issues is worth the time and cost. If it was that simple then the sophistication in today's paint booths wouldn't be necessary. Nevertheless, it's a good idea and even if your learning process is restricted to getting an even coat on your test pieces and getting the gun adjustments under control, it will be time worth spending.
    C5 RS6: Sportec, Milltek & Wagner -- B5 RS4 : tastefully modified -- Audi 1.8 quattro 132 Kw -- UNIMOG 404 TLF8

I can rig up a A/c package unit hat can pump heated dry filter air in. Also what if I sprayed the whole thing with a scotch Gard or some kinda sealing agent that prevented any of the fabric debri in the air. Even a wax of some kind I can spray the inside down with that is water and dust resistant but yet flexible to be rolled up packed away.
    Iím just gonna give it a go. Iv never seen anyway do it so Iíd thought itís a good ideal to try it out. Iím not painting whole cars bodyís, just bumpers and panels. If this is something I can just pop up in like 10 minutes I think itís worth a try.

Have a fiddle and let us know how you go.

Current:
    1999 A4 B5 Avant 2.4 V6

Retired:
    1990 100 Sedan 2.3
    1991 90 Sedan 2.3
    1999 A4 B5 Sedan 2.4 V6

Sure will

Just gotta find a tent lol

If anyone is a painter and has some insight on this let me know