Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: What did you do in your garage today?

Jesus I wish I had time to do all of this kind of things... Maybe I should semi retire!

Quote Originally Posted by jnrdavo View Post
    Jesus I wish I had time to do all of this kind of things... Maybe I should semi retire!

I've been trying for ages to semi retire, goal posts keep changing.
    Current - 2007 B7 RS4 Avant, APR Stage 3, Milltek with Hi Flo Cats, GruppeM intake, Sachs Clutch, Factory Ceramics, JHM Shifter, RS6 FBSTW, AMI & Hi Res RSNE
    Current - 2012 B8 A4, 2.0T Quattro Avant SLine
    Current - 2001 B5 S4 Imola Yellow Avant
    Current - 1989 B3 90 Quattro - 7A NA Engine, (Long Term Restoration Project)
    Current - 1984 WR Ur Quattro

Quote Originally Posted by Tas_Audi View Post
    Ok, a poor choice a words by me, "made" should be "designed". I went though years of making my own boards, chemicals, plotting artwork, getting photo negatives made etc etc. These days the way to do it, there is an online design package, search EasyEda. It is a great package, you do your online schematic of your circuit pulling in components from the onboard libraries and then you export the schematic into a PCB. Generally it just cobbles all the parts grouped together, you basically move the parts around to suit your proposed board layout and then follow up with either running the auto routing feature or you manually place the tracks.

Once your happy with the layout and the design is finalised you can order the boards online. Job done. I have been using this service for quite some time and it is not even worth thinking about physically making your own boards. The boards via the EasyEda site are professional boards and cheaper than doing it yourself, they can be single or multi layer, silk screen and you can also order a solder mask if using surface mount components.

Hope this answers your question.
    Just to give me an idea, how much was that board and does that include the components?

I haven't made a board in a LONG time and I've only ever done it oldskool way (dalo pen and 1mm drill bit oldskool) so I'd love to be able to make small boards like that accurately and hopefully cheaply.

Current:
    2004 A6 C5 Sedan 3.0 V6 Quattro
    2005 A6 4F Sedan 3.2 V6 Quattro
    1999 A4 B5 Avant 2.4 V6

Retired:
    1990 100 Sedan 2.3
    1991 90 Sedan 2.3
    1999 A4 B5 Sedan 2.4 V6

Quote Originally Posted by broke90 View Post
    Just to give me an idea, how much was that board and does that include the components?

I haven't made a board in a LONG time and I've only ever done it oldskool way (dalo pen and 1mm drill bit oldskool) so I'd love to be able to make small boards like that accurately and hopefully cheaply.
    The stop light board cost $25 for 10 boards including freight. It is not worth considering making boards any other way. Even small boards I use the same process.
    Parts are generally cheap and the EasyEda app is setup so you can order parts online as it generates a BOM as you put together the circuit.
    Stop/Start defeat for the Amarok
    Stop:Start.jpg
    Last edited by Tas_Audi; September 2nd, 2020 at 03:58 PM.
    Current - 2007 B7 RS4 Avant, APR Stage 3, Milltek with Hi Flo Cats, GruppeM intake, Sachs Clutch, Factory Ceramics, JHM Shifter, RS6 FBSTW, AMI & Hi Res RSNE
    Current - 2012 B8 A4, 2.0T Quattro Avant SLine
    Current - 2001 B5 S4 Imola Yellow Avant
    Current - 1989 B3 90 Quattro - 7A NA Engine, (Long Term Restoration Project)
    Current - 1984 WR Ur Quattro

Quote Originally Posted by Tas_Audi View Post
    The stop light board cost $25 for 10 boards including freight. It is not worth considering making boards any other way. Even small boards I use the same process.
    Parts are generally cheap and the EasyEda app is setup so you can order parts online as it generates a BOM as you put together the circuit.
    Stop/Start defeat for the Amarok

That price is truly incredible value for money. Even the material alone (boards, etchant, etc.) is more than $25 to make one board, not that you're going to need the other nine boards. Plus you get the accuracy of a machine drilled board vs hand drilled.

Current:
    1999 A4 B5 Avant 2.4 V6

Retired:
    1990 100 Sedan 2.3
    1991 90 Sedan 2.3
    1999 A4 B5 Sedan 2.4 V6

Finally got a grinder and some argon.
    Gonna attempt some pipe cutting and welding soon.
    Haven’t been in the garage in a month or so though I’d give it a tidy up

First cut

That's a very impressive support stand for the work piece.

Current:
    1999 A4 B5 Avant 2.4 V6

Retired:
    1990 100 Sedan 2.3
    1991 90 Sedan 2.3
    1999 A4 B5 Sedan 2.4 V6