Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: What did you do in your garage today?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My welds are getting some what better?

nice one. How much was that sand blaster?

I've just got some brakes for the Yellow S3, and have just ordered the paint. They are currently brand new and red (VWR racingline). I'm going for a light blue metalic

489908395_d6d31d27-f58b-4506-8c3b-86991d289f41_600x.jpg

caliper.jpg

Not sure if the right colour or not..

I actually got the cabinet for free when I bought my welder from Totaltools. They had a sale on and i got like a $200 story credit so I just bought the cabinet.

I too just bought a set of Porsche 987 4pot Bremboís for the S1

There a bit dirty but not physical damage as i can see. Picked them up for like 600 bucks form UK.

Iv also got a pair of Brembo Z18 calipers just laying around that need painting. I have no use for them so If anyoneís in need for a set for a A3 I might sell em off.

I'm assuming you just used HT paint, not powder coating (not sure if the 'oven' was for powercoat, or paint stripping/drying)...

No actually.
    I was impossible for me to find the right colour I was after. So I went to the Audi website and located the actual colour code for their decal colour scheme.

It was impossible with the out of the can reds. Every red I bought in a can was more of a burgundy not a red

In a good light, it would appear to be red but mostly appears to be a brownish red more then anything

As you can see compared to the red of the car is was no where in relation to it and was definitely not going to compliment the colour.

So Being in lock down I just ordered a mix over the phone using the Audi colour code and it turned out perfect just like factory.

No way in hell it would of looked as good using the VHT red

As long as you bake the base coat and then put a **** tin of VHT clear coat on it, you will be fine.

I just baked the crap out of em in an oven for an hour or so at 120c

I've been using VG Autopaints as I try and learn the skill set (and fail !)... They can mix up anything, and can do it in VHT (I think)...

Worth a look for future endeavours..

I just got supercheep to make me a mix and done the clear in the VHT. It does the job.
    Thereís no skill really, just follow the instructions on the can and ya cant go wrong.
    Although when painting its always 70% prep and 30% paint. Meaning dont shortcut your prep work
    Make sure the surface is completely clean, sanded down evenely, and complete dry. Also donít paint in on a cold day or windy day.

A goo day to do it on without a paint booth is around 20c to 30c

If ya in the garage in Canberra winter or a Darwin wet season, your gonna have a bad time.
    ventilation is up to you lol
    Just dont have fans blowing the crap everywhere.
    Get ya self a small oven like mine and just have it on at 100c or 120c. You wana bake that paint on not under a set of lights.
    Donít be afraid of painting over your dust boots but mask as much as you can.
    For floating calipers, do a full strip.

yeah, thanks mate. the ones that I have are 'etched' with the log, so I'm thinking of filling the white etch with some blue tack to see if that will fill the dent.. then painting over the current red. Missus says stay with the Red, daughter says go with the metalic blue.... Not sure what colour to use on the S3. (8p, Imola Yellow).

I did a dodgy print out on paper to see what the blue would look like !

20210516_170045.jpg 20211016_084105.jpg

Complementing yellow is normally red, but blue can work but you will need as much black on the car as possible. If your sticking with silver or alloy wheels Iíd stick with red. But with black wheels blue can work, as will many other colours such as hyper green. Itís all about contrast. yellow over black with blue can work. Iím going red with my yellow S1.
    Also watch a black Quattro decal on the rear door. It goes a long way.