Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: MMI 3G Plus Map Updates

Default MMI 3G Plus Map Updates

Hi all, I was just wondering if anyone has updated the firmware and navigation maps on the MMI 3G Plus.

If yes, where did you get it done or where did you purchase it?

I googled and there are sites that sell updates for the MMI system but I have a feeling they are reversed engineered/modified versions to bypass activation.

Serious though itís no easy task unless your willing to pay Audi $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Two ways to do it.
    One take it to Audi. And hope they already have the firmware for you. The installation and activation process is mind boggling. Basically they have to purchase the software, then they have to purchase the activation code.
    Option 2
    You take your car or give your system to someone who can update and activate the software. But be aware they wonít be using Audi genuine maps.
    It all comes down to what kinda of system ya running. The A1 systems are a night mare

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Muckman; July 21st, 2020 at 01:22 AM.

Thanks for your response. I’ll ask the dealer how much it would cost, just being curious. But I’ll keep looking for ways to have it done.

Keep me updated dated through your quest my brother.
    Together we can solve this riddle ones and for all!!

Quote Originally Posted by TYR382 View Post
    Serious though it’s no easy task unless your willing to pay Audi $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Two ways to do it.
    One take it to Audi. And hope they already have the firmware for you. The installation and activation process is mind boggling. Basically they have to purchase the software, then they have to purchase the activation code.
    Option 2
    You take your car or give your system to someone who can update and activate the software. But be aware they won’t be using Audi genuine maps.
    It all comes down to what kinda of system ya running. The A1 systems are a night mare
    It's actually not that complicated Michael.

Maps get updated by SD card with the official map data, then require activation which can be done by script (and is unique to the MAC address of the unit) if being done outside the Audi dealer network.

They explained to me that I need to purchase the firmware and the activation code

8R0051884GC
    $526.001

8R0060886BM
    $476.001

I canít remember the full story but all I remember was I gave up because it was not worth it lol
    I remember it was gonna cost over $2000 for one car.
    I was hoping I could nick 2 birds with one stone and get the RS done at the same time but apparently thatís not possible.

Ok so I just got off the phone with The oracles AKA Audi centre Brisbane, and they assured me that all I need to do is buy the map update 8R0060886BP and bring it to your Audi dealer and have them to install it. Now itís not that simple she said, provided they have 5e correct testing and installing tools then there should be no problem. If they donít they will charge more. I think this is why I was charged so much. I donít think my dealer is quipped to do the update.

Iím gonna give it a try

Og yeh 8R0060886BP is about $500 and the installation is about $200 and they will update your firmware if needed.
    So ya looking around $800 for map update
    Letís hope this is the answer lol

Quote Originally Posted by TYR382 View Post
    They explained to me that I need to purchase the firmware and the activation code

8R0051884GC
    $526.001
    Part number 8R0051884GC is for the 2019 Australian (plus other countries) maps. This is a 'workshop only' part and hence an Audi dealer parts counter is unlikely to sell it to you (unlikely but not impossible).

As an end user, you only need to buy the licence/activation document (part number 8R0060886BM as per above) plus potentially a labour charge for the applying of the update.

Most dealers WILL NOT update the firmware on your MMI 3G+ unit as part of this process - they usually only do this if the customer has a specific complaint that the updated firmware is said to rectify (such as MMI resetting, Bluetooth connectivity issues etc).

Iv confirmed with my dealer and my parts guy

8R0060886BP is the 2020 maps that was just released the other week.

So the answer to all this if anyone is following is

1. buy your self a copy 1 X 8R0060886BP

2. Book your car in to get your maps installed and tell them you have the maps already.

3. Give the, your car and the maps and tell them you want your firmware updated aswell. They might try and charge you more for the firm ware but you might be able to swindle them to throw it in because itís just the cost of work hours not a product price.

4. Thatís itís you should be done.

All up should cost about $800 depending how much you can source your maps.
    So if anyone has any where you can get cheep factory maps post it here.