Thread: B8 RS5 Brake Rotors

1. Default B8 RS5 Brake Rotors

Hi All,

I recently acquired a 2011 RS5.
    I measured the brake thickness yesterday and they're at 31.7mm, min I believe is 32.4mm

I can find:

https://www.dba.com.au/products/cata...duct&pid=35702
    https://www.sparesbox.com.au/part/zi...ir-100-3365-70
    then there's audipartsdirect.co.uk (unable to access at work) for oem rotors.
    and ecs tuning, but their own branded ones are 2021 delivery date.

What's the current recommendation for rotors in Australia?

Thanks
    Rob

I've very happily used DBA 4000 and 5000 series rotors before on other VAG cars and a BMW, and they have worked very well. Can't say if it is any better or worse than an RS grade OEM rotor.

DBA 4k/5k have good heat/fade resistance, although that is comparing a new rotor to an old one that is worn out.

n

3. Default

Nerdag, thanks for the reply. Ordered the DBA 52834SLVS along with some EBC Red Pads.
    Local dealer quote for oem came back at a tad over 3K for the fronts + pads.

Will report back in a few weeks how it went and impressions.

I have DBA 52834WSLVXD and DBA 52835WSLVXD rotors and Hawk HPS 5 pads sitting in the garage. Dealer quoted me $6,300 for oem front and rear rotors and pads so thought I'd try an alternative solution! Not sure when I will fit them yet (waiting for wear sensor warning to appear) but will report back when I have installed them.

Cost is obviously a big driver and all I'd say is keep in your mind the design of the factory rotors and if they are floating, then fitting a solid rotor is a backward step. I haven't looked at those rotors linked so this is just a general comment. Clearly there should be no noticeable difference in normal driving at all but when selling, I personally would walk away from an RS car that wasn't in spec in the brake department unless there was a serious price reduction to cover fitting OE equivalent brakes.
    C5 RS6: Sportec, Milltek & Wagner -- B5 RS4 : tastefully modified -- Audi 1.8 quattro 132 Kw -- UNIMOG 404 TLF8

Quote Originally Posted by Q7&A3 View Post
    waiting for wear sensor warning to appear
    I find the wear sensor to be terribly late to trigger in most cars. By the time it is worn and lights up, you've barely got any pad left, sometime worse if there is uneven wear between the pads.

Far more reliable is taking the wheels off and having a look yourself, or at least eyeballing it between the calipers once you know which side wears faster (inside or outside pad).

n

Quote Originally Posted by IchBautAuto View Post
    keep in your mind the design of the factory rotors and if they are floating, then fitting a solid rotor is a backward step. I haven't looked at those rotors linked so this is just a general comment.
    I think the DBA that the OP purchased is a two piece floating design.

DBA52834SLVS
    https://www.dbabrakes.eu/discbrakes/57766/DBA-52834SLVS