Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My new car. B8.5 S4 Avant

Quote Originally Posted by don View Post
    Did I see it's also a manual. They must be few and far between.
    All locally delivered B8/B85.5 S4s were S tronic (DSG).

Quote Originally Posted by Alister View Post
    All locally delivered B8/B85.5 S4s were S tronic (DSG).
    Correct. This is a DL501 7spd S-tronic DSG. It now has a APR DSG tune as well and is faster than a manual in every situation. I still wish it was a manual though.
    I have had the auto up and down shift disabled in manual mode and set the 3 steps launch control at 4000rpm, 5000rpm and 6000rpm(based on accelerator pedal position).

3. Cool

Defo upgrade to pod helps with power and whine. The stock box can't flow enough and is a benefit even over sucking in warmer air (with heat shield).

I went stg 1 to stg 2+ a few years ago amd it was a massive difference. Perhaps try e85 blend it cleans up timing correction substantially even on 98 map. My wife dailys the apr ultra 100 map with e35 blend and it's plenty fast.

If you're looking for more speed get the lighter sedan...

Also I've noticed your engine looks different, you may have the newer engine which isn't as tuneable as the earlier b8.5 ones. Check out the SPR website

Quote Originally Posted by Falco View Post
    I have now got the car APR Stage 2+ Ultracharged as of last Friday. Everything went relatively smoothly. I had an issue with the 187mm fluidampr Pulley I received from iAbed at Vdamper.com. It was machined incorrectly and was throwing the supercharger belt out of alignment. Found out about this at 8am on Friday when tuning was booked for 12pm at a different workshop. Quick trip to the workshop and a hunt around for a machining shop to fix the issue kept me busy. I found an shop and was able to get the pulley machined to fit correctly with the belt correctly aligned. With the pulleys fitted and the belt running true, the coolant system was bleed and I was off to get the car tuned. I was only 1 hour late.
    I found out when I picked the car up after tuning that the car already had a APR stage 1 tune on it and it was installed December 2019 by the previous owner. This explains why I was neck and neck with a 2018 V8 Mustang. It was a bitter sweet moment, I saved about $2200 on the stage 2+ tune but it also wouldn't be the big power increase I was expecting.
    Since the tune I have put a few kms on and can safely say it feels a lot more torquey everywhere in the entire rev range. There is a little bit of supercharger whine now audible which I like. I am yet to really open it up as it gathers pace so fast now that i fear for my license.
    Handleing wise, the 034 x-brace and CR15 strut brace have changed the steering completely. Before it was vague and there was a spot just a few degrees off center where the steering got heavy, kind of like it was starting to bind up, once you got over this point it would go loose again but the car would steer a disproportionate amount over this bit. I really didn't like this before because it gave the feeling of tramlining, it made it difficult to maintain a soft curve on the freeway. I can only assume with was coming from the stock brace flexing as you steer. Since the braces have gone in, the steering is precise, it feels a little heavier but it is completely linear. Its much more confidence inspiring.
    I will update further after I put a lot more kms on.
    Here are some pics.
    Attachment 31664
    Attachment 31666
    Attachment 31667
    Attachment 31668
    Attachment 31665
    Last edited by a42ltq; Yesterday at 09:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by a42ltq View Post
    Defo upgrade to pod helps with power and whine. The stock box can't flow enough and is a benefit even over sucking in warmer air (with heat shield).

I went stg 1 to stg 2+ a few years ago amd it was a massive difference. Perhaps try e85 blend it cleans up timing correction substantially even on 98 map. My wife dailys the apr ultra 100 map with e35 blend and it's plenty fast.

If you're looking for more speed get the lighter sedan...

Also I've noticed your engine looks different, you may have the newer engine which isn't as tuneable as the earlier b8.5 ones. Check out the SPR website
    I have have upgraded the airfilter to a K&N, the filters are all pods on these cars. I also removed the inlet air guide the restricts the air by redirecting it under the air filter. Will have to take a few pics. I don't see any further gains to be had other than more noise by going full open airbox.

Currently I have 10l of E85 in the tank with 50l of BP98 to see if there is any real difference. I can't tell the difference yet from the drivers seat but more time will tell. Ill have to use the dragy to tell if there is a difference i suspect.

Yes i have the 3.0T evo motor. Every bit as tunable as the early models ones. They are more efficient than the early ones, have larger intercoolers in the supercharger, higher compression, varible cam timing on the exhaust side now and increase varible range on the inlet compared to before, the block now is sleeved and they don't suffer the carbon build up issue on the inlet valves. The adoption of Multi point injection on this version means it burns cleaner and it has the head room to run full E85 from the factory, finding someone to tune the SIMOS 16 to E85 is proving to be difficult, APR is currently the only company offering tunes to this engine. IE tune is still in development.

Porting this supercharger out is where real gains can be made. There is a much larger restriction where the bypass valve feeds the air back in on the evo motor compared to before, but addressing that is a project for next year.