Thread: B7 2.0 TFSI hunting (revs rise and fall)

Default B7 2.0 TFSI hunting (revs rise and fall)

Hi guys, any help appreciated, my B7 has had numerous issues around it's performance, fuel consumption and engine light coming on etc. Over the past 12 months a good local shop has solved all but 1, the fact that on light throttle and light load it rises and falls approx 100rpm on its own.
    I recently had an APR tune added, this has the expected performance gain but under light throttle it's like it's being turned on and off giving a jerky drive even on cruise control. I believe the initial hunting is also causing the issue with the APR. Has anyone correctly diagnosed a hunting issue on there 2.0 ?
    many thanks

2. Default

Iíd scan the car for faults to see what shows up. Sounds like a throttle body position sensor issue, a scan should hopefully point you in the right direction.

Whatís it like on WOT (wide open throttle) 100%.

If it runs fine then, I would look at MAF.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This feeling of someone flicking the accelerator pedal occurs at any speed but only on light throttle application, not noticeable on WOT. No codes showing at present. What effect does a faulty throttle position sensor have?

Default B7 2.0 TFSI hunting (revs rise and fall)

I donít believe it is TPS. I believe it is MAF causing issues.

If it hunts on idle & part throttle yet is perfect on WOT, that is a good sign that itís not metering air properly.

When you go WOT the ecu map knows to deliver 100% of the air through throttle body into engine.

You could get some MAF cleaner & start there.

The other test is to disconnect MAF & see if it runs the same. That will also confirm a MAF issue.

Thanks Mike, will it drive ok with MAF disconnect or do I need to be aware of anything, will clean first

If it is a dirty/faulty MAF it will basically run the same as it is now.

If it is not the MAF & you disconnect it, it will run worse.

It is only a simple test to drive around the block.,

You should notice as soon as you start it wether or not there is a difference.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to mike For This Useful Post:

BRG (September 9th, 2020)

Did you do any testing?

10. Default

It could still be a tps. Being that a tps is a variable resistor you can get wear marks or corrosion on the contacts. Get a multimeter and set to resistance and put the leads on the pos and neg terminal then move the thottle open slowly (having the throttle body unplugged and the battery disconnected) and see if the resistance goes up in a smooth manner. If you get a spike in resistance or an open circuit (overload or out of range may appear) while opening and closing the throttle blade slowly then its more than likely your tps.

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk