Thread: MMI 3G+ DAB/DAB+ Question

Question MMI 3G+ DAB/DAB+ Question

Hi All,

Have a question for the MMI experts.

I have a S5 4.2Ltr V8 MY-2008. It came fitted with MMI 2G & I have upgraded that to MMI 3G+. I was also given a DAB unit with part number- 4G0035061Q.

I have fitted it to the Car but have trouble identifying the antennae connections to work with it. Right now I can only see the 2 connections which came with the original radio unit. Curry Yellow & White FAKRA connectors.

Questions:

• Does this unit 4G0035061Q have both DAB & DAB+ or only DAB ?
    • Do I need a separate antenna to make DAB work in my car? or can I just use a different amplifier like the one listed in the below URL which will use the existing antennae in the car to get the signals ?

URL : https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Audi-A5-8T-B8-Coupe-S5-Radio-Antenna-Amplifier-Control-Unit-8T0035225/254691000068?_trkparms=aid%3D1110006%26algo%3DHOME SPLICE.SIM%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20140131123730%26meid% 3Dfa539af429a143509db9d447472ca637%26pid%3D100167% 26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D15%26sd%3D382124981162%26itm%3D25 4691000068%26pmt%3D0%26noa%3D1%26pg%3D5411%26algv% 3DDefaultOrganic%26brand%3DUnbranded&_trksid=p5411 .c100167.m2940

Please check the attached pictures to get a better idea of what I'm talking about.

Thank you 🤓

I did something similar, but the guys who supplied me with the DAB radio also supplied me with with an additional antenna..

Although not exactly the same as this one, it does look similar (very thin, connects to the windscreen).

3. The Following User Says Thank You to jnrdavo For This Useful Post:

Panduka (September 7th, 2020)

Hi mate,

Thanks for the reply. I do have the option of going with an antenna, but I've seen some forums talk about using AUDIs own antennae & amplifier without having to add anything new (with KUFATEC unit).

Link here >> https://www.a5oc.com/threads/retrofi...b-guide.26134/

Also I'm wondering if I DO add an antenna, whether the AUDI DAB unit can supply it with power or whether I would have to add a separate power source to power the antenna.

questions questions questions....

Cheers...

Quote Originally Posted by jnrdavo View Post
    I did something similar, but the guys who supplied me with the DAB radio also supplied me with with an additional antenna..

Although not exactly the same as this one, it does look similar (very thin, connects to the windscreen).

Does your antenna look like the one here ?

https://www.co-star.co.uk/11381/dab-...nna-a-4575-01/

Cheers...

Quote Originally Posted by Panduka View Post
    Hi mate,

Thanks for the reply. I do have the option of going with an antenna, but I've seen some forums talk about using AUDIs own antennae & amplifier without having to add anything new (with KUFATEC unit).

Link here >> https://www.a5oc.com/threads/retrofi...b-guide.26134/

Also I'm wondering if I DO add an antenna, whether the AUDI DAB unit can supply it with power or whether I would have to add a separate power source to power the antenna.
    The factory DAB tuner has a DAB antenna booster that is fitted in the C pillar and uses the existing glass mounted radio antennas. IMO this is the best solution for DAB reception so if I were you I would get the factory booster retrofit. FYI it uses a black connector from memory.

Quote Originally Posted by Alister View Post
    The factory DAB tuner has a DAB antenna booster that is fitted in the C pillar and uses the existing glass mounted radio antennas. IMO this is the best solution for DAB reception so if I were you I would get the factory booster retrofit. FYI it uses a black connector from memory.
    Hi Alister,

Thank you. That was the way I was going to go. I checked behind the C pillar and I have the booster with the Pink connector. Now I will have to get one with both the Pink and Black connectors so I can feed all frequencies.

Cheers...