Thread: 2015 S3 8v - suspension question

1. Default 2015 S3 8v - suspension question

Hey Guys,

Wanting to improve handling on my 2015 s3 sedan,

It has the 19" audi wheels w magride which personally i feel as though the car looks like its a little bit like its on stilts. Anyway, been thinking coilovers or is it worth just changing out the springs - or will this then kill the stock dampers over time?

Want to reduce body roll and have the vehicle handling better so again is it better to just go change the swaybars and springs but what is the story with magride then....

From my understanding the car has macpherson strut design in front and multilink setup on the back (correct me if wrong on this).

Wouldn't mind also lowering just a little a bit as it already comes close to hitting when going up driveways on a bit of a slant.

Would be good to here some opinions of some that have already upgraded suspension and what they thought afterwards - worth it? comparison to stock etc

Thanks

Steven

I can't comment on S3 but on the Mk7R with DCC and 19in rims I have done Eibach Pro springs and Superpro Rear sway bar with end links and the improvement in handling is very significant without any negatives in ride quality. I chose the Eibach pro kit due to having less drop roughly 15mm compared to many that are 25mm to work better over time with stock struts and on numerous reviews around the world for having best ride quality. I have this with Mp4s tyres and couldn't be happier.

We kept our s3 stock but I would highly recommend looking at Eibach springs and a rear sway bar. I got all my parts online sales with spares box so worked out around $1200 installed. Hope this helps. Sorry it's comparing mk7R and not S3.

Graeme

3. The Following User Says Thank You to mp2811 For This Useful Post:

sleototheleo (September 14th, 2020)

Where do you think the car is not performing as you'd like? Entry, mid or late corner? Each side requires a different fix. But for most drivers, entry and mid corner is of most concern.

You say you want to reduce body roll... The first step I'd go is to change out the stock swaybar.

Superpro, Whiteline and many others do S3 / Mk7 R rear sway bar and drop links. This will improve your mid-corner feel without compromising existing geometry, ride height and comfort.

Go with that, see how it feels then decide on what else to take on. It is the best dollar to performance you can get in suspension mods.

Quote Originally Posted by sleototheleo View Post
    Hey Guys,

Wanting to improve handling on my 2015 s3 sedan,

It has the 19" audi wheels w magride which personally i feel as though the car looks like its a little bit like its on stilts. Anyway, been thinking coilovers or is it worth just changing out the springs - or will this then kill the stock dampers over time?

Want to reduce body roll and have the vehicle handling better so again is it better to just go change the swaybars and springs but what is the story with magride then....

From my understanding the car has macpherson strut design in front and multilink setup on the back (correct me if wrong on this).

Wouldn't mind also lowering just a little a bit as it already comes close to hitting when going up driveways on a bit of a slant.

Would be good to here some opinions of some that have already upgraded suspension and what they thought afterwards - worth it? comparison to stock etc

Thanks

Steven
    The eternal question. Any Suspension package is a compromise. So what do you want to give up in return for improvements in other areas.

First thing, your suspension is old so just replacing the dampers and rubber bushes will yield a return to brand new factory handling.

Sure, that isn't always what you want. Upgraded anti roll bars as mentioned are an improvement in good conditions. In the wet or on really second grade roads you'll go slower, not faster with that option.

Lower the car. Hummmm, the ride height of the car is best measured with the maximum expected number of passengers and cargo. Something that looks hot just sitting is best left just sitting. Add a full tank, passengers and a suitcase or whatever you might take and you may not even crest a speed hump let alone avoid a roadworthy ticket for being less that the min specified ride height.

Just watching a little car racing on TV will show you how much suspension adjustment is needed between tracks to get the maximum handling benefit. So get it perfect for your favorite bit of road and it'll be deficient to a point everywhere else.

My RS4 has most suspension mods done to it (uprated bars, dampers and springs, adjustable arms etc) so I'm not anti mod, just pointing out that from personal experience those mods bring both gains and losses. I've stuck with factory ride height which is a little lower than the A4 S4 range and that is a fraction low is some situations. Just keep in mind that lower, harder / firmer, stiffer are qualities that you might want to keep in your mind when you think about some of the options that you'll hear about.

Also, there is cheap and expensive. You could do a lot with that car with high quality suspension components but it can easily cost you the same as the whole car is worth. Or you can buy a pair of el cheapo coil overs and huge ARB's maybe replace them inside a year. There is not only one answer, a number of options could give you what you want.

Measuring it. In the real world, on a track, the best suspension setup is measured in the lap time / beneficial tyre wear etc. Obviously nothing else matters, not ride height, brand of components, nichts. On the street, that's even harder to answer. In fact I would say that only you can categorically choose what is best for you and what you are willing to accept.

This far too long commentary is over. Hope you get the desired outcome and happy with it.
    C5 RS6: Sportec, Milltek & Wagner -- B5 RS4 : tastefully modified -- Audi 1.8 quattro 132 Kw -- UNIMOG 404 TLF8