Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Another not so bargain from overseas

Quote Originally Posted by julianwhitta View Post
    Unless you’re relying on DHL from the US, it would seem. I ordered a non-car thing (Yes, I know. Herself was just as shocked) early this month (the 5th) from a company just down the road from Atlanta, Georgia. After eventually being picked up by DHL, it took six days to wend it’s way to New Jersey (on the 11th), and is now allegedly “loaded for transport” somewhere in Illinois (the 17th). The damned thing has done more travel in the US in the last 2 weeks than I’ve done in 30 years!

Yep, makes my day with USPS. After a while I open up the tracking and it zig zags around the place. Sort of entertaining if it wasn't frustrating. In the old days (pre CV) there was a defined route for "stuff". Now I have stuff that has visited Florida, Chicago, San Francisco, Texas, Hawaii and all points in between. It even enters via Perth rather than Sydney. Had two "gone to ground" for more than a week in one location. It's become a bit like chewing a grass stalk and watching the ants.
    C5 RS6: Sportec, Milltek & Wagner -- B5 RS4 : tastefully modified -- Audi 1.8 quattro 132 Kw -- UNIMOG 404 TLF8

2. The Following User Says Thank You to IchBautAuto For This Useful Post:

julianwhitta (September 18th, 2020)

Quote Originally Posted by IchBautAuto View Post
    Interesting everything that has been sent either by USPS or Royal mail has taken exactly 4 weeks to arrive. Almost like it is sat on until a release date. Carriers are very much quicker 5 days by DHL from UK to my door. What can you say, better than a week from Syd to Canberra.
    I think there's a bit of luck of the draw going on. I bought some parts for my jackhammer from a UK supplier direct. I was updated weekly that few of the parts were still being rounded up within Europe (it's a Bosch) and was delaying the despatch and that went on for 3 weeks. Then one day after the last update I received another e-mail (from a real person) to say the last item had arrived and the parcel was despatched that day. It took just over a week after that to arrive at my house, and that was regular Royal Mail parcel post.

Current:
    2004 A6 C5 Sedan 3.0 V6 Quattro
    2005 A6 4F Sedan 3.2 V6 Quattro
    1999 A4 B5 Avant 2.4 V6

Retired:
    1990 100 Sedan 2.3
    1991 90 Sedan 2.3
    1999 A4 B5 Sedan 2.4 V6

It is very hit and miss. Sparesbox had a special on K&N filters for my car so 3 and a half months ago I ordered them only to recieve a prompt message to say there would be a delay of up to three months. I figured, no rush not much driving going on so i left it. Contacted them two weeks ago asking for an update and they said sorry but still not sure what the ETA is. I cancelled it, went to K&N direct in the US via their website, ordered the filters and they arrived within 7 days! Cost me an extra $50 but shipping was free.

Quote Originally Posted by Q7&A3 View Post
    It is very hit and miss. Sparesbox had a special on K&N filters for my car so 3 and a half months ago I ordered them only to recieve a prompt message to say there would be a delay of up to three months. I figured, no rush not much driving going on so i left it. Contacted them two weeks ago asking for an update and they said sorry but still not sure what the ETA is. I cancelled it, went to K&N direct in the US via their website, ordered the filters and they arrived within 7 days! Cost me an extra $50 but shipping was free.
    I seen that Sparesbox and Automotive superstore can have very attractive specials, below US prices for example, and I've had a few experiences with both although overall they have been good. Still happy to shop there. You would have to be one of the few who I have heard of getting free postage from the US. Whats the secret? Nothing worse than being told if you live in the lower 48 it's free, elsewhere, bend over. That's a winner.
    C5 RS6: Sportec, Milltek & Wagner -- B5 RS4 : tastefully modified -- Audi 1.8 quattro 132 Kw -- UNIMOG 404 TLF8

Quote Originally Posted by IchBautAuto View Post
    I seen that Sparesbox and Automotive superstore can have very attractive specials, below US prices for example, and I've had a few experiences with both although overall they have been good. Still happy to shop there. You would have to be one of the few who I have heard of getting free postage from the US. Whats the secret? Nothing worse than being told if you live in the lower 48 it's free, elsewhere, bend over. That's a winner.
    No secret just the deal on their website. https://www.knfilters.com/checkout/. I agree Sparesbox is usually pretty good.

Spare box is most the time cheeper on eBay.