Thread: B7 RS4 - Anyone using Shell Helix Ultra oil?

Default B7 RS4 - Anyone using Shell Helix Ultra oil?

Morning All

Coming up to service time for the RS4 and looking at oil. In the past I have always used Castrol Edge 5w-30. Pretty sure I have always used the A3/B4 oil however the Repco and Supercheap sites now say that it doesn't suit the car (only the "LL" does), whereas Sparesbox says it does. Go figure.

Anyway, I see on Repco this oil is on sale and wondered if anyone was using it?

https://www.repco.com.au/en/oils-flu...437/p/A9660308
    Current: 2006 B7 RS4 Avant in Imola

Previous: 2004 A4 1.8 Turbo Quattro

APR Stage 1 | Bilstein PSS9 Coilovers | Remus Exhausts | 18" RS6 Reps | Brushed Alum Mirrors | Phatbox | RS4 Pedals | RS4 Gear Knob

I'd always used the 5w30 LL Castrol Edge - a little bit more expensive but apparently the better oil.

In terms of that Shell Helix oil, it doesn't state that it meets the VW 504 507 standards so I would be choosing something else if I were you.

Quote Originally Posted by Alister View Post
    it doesn't state that it meets the VW 504 507 standards so I would be choosing something else if I were you.
    Thanks Alister. Did notice that, guess you can't trust these sites that supposedly match items for your car.

APR Stage 1 | Bilstein PSS9 Coilovers | Remus Exhausts | 18" RS6 Reps | Brushed Alum Mirrors | Phatbox | RS4 Pedals | RS4 Gear Knob

5L of LL has just gone on sale on Supercheap, $57, perfect :)

I think there is now 10L containers available now too - Repco should stock them, likely available at other retailers too.

Use a 5w40 VW502. Castrol Edge 5w40 I put in my B7 RS4. I got it on sale for $39 for 6L at Repco last month

You only use the VW504 5w30 LL spec if you're keen on longer service intervals, and if your car is newer (which the B7 RS4 is not). That is what the LL means from what I've read. I put in 5w40 because I change my oil every 7500-10000km. Older car with higher mileage, the slightly thicker oil helps.

All the information on what oil to use in the owners manual. It says VW502 or VW504 depending on service intervals as I have mentioned