Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: B7 RS4 - KW V3 Coilovers - Where to buy/fit in Sydney?

Quote Originally Posted by RS-Rated View Post
    I can't PM until I've reached 10-posts it seems!

Any tips when installing based on your experience?

Have you had any issues since installing them?

Shant

A couple of things mate

1. I recall that when removing the fronts there is a nut at the top to get the spring off that was a bit tricky and needed a certain socket which luckily my dad had. I can confirm when I have a look at it (have the old suspension in a box), will let you know in the coming days.

I'm pretty sure it was this nut but will confirm.

2. As mentioned, make sure you have a decent spring compressor.

Have had no issues at all since swapping over, no knocking at all.

You can check out this vid which will help you with the install.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJ09...l=speedyvargas

I didn't have any issues with ceased bolts or nuts, think thats more overseas where they deal with snow/salt etc.
    Current: 2006 B7 RS4 Avant in Imola

Previous: 2004 A4 1.8 Turbo Quattro

APR Stage 1 | Bilstein PSS9 Coilovers | Remus Exhausts | 18" RS6 Reps | Brushed Alum Mirrors | Phatbox | RS4 Pedals | RS4 Gear Knob

Quote Originally Posted by oxblood8 View Post
    A couple of things mate

1. I recall that when removing the fronts there is a nut at the top to get the spring off that was a bit tricky and needed a certain socket which luckily my dad had. I can confirm when I have a look at it (have the old suspension in a box), will let you know in the coming days.

I'm pretty sure it was this nut but will confirm.

2. As mentioned, make sure you have a decent spring compressor.

.................................................. ............
    Yep, that nut requires either a special deep ring spanner or a set of hollow sockets with handle. Got both so it was never an issue but it would be a real test of your patience if you didn't. You have to torque that nut too so best no shortcuts. You still need to take care with the bolt that secures the upper arms to the upright. they can seize but you can also damage the thread as you drift it out. Just normal good engineering practice but that doesn't always mean so much to non technical types.
    C5 RS6: Sportec, Milltek & Wagner -- B5 RS4 : tastefully modified -- Audi 1.8 quattro 132 Kw -- UNIMOG 404 TLF8

Quote Originally Posted by IchBautAuto View Post
    Yep, that nut requires either a special deep ring spanner
    Thanks mate, that tweaked my memory we used a deep ring spanner. Old man had a million spanners and luckily it was one of them, like a needle in a haystack lol

APR Stage 1 | Bilstein PSS9 Coilovers | Remus Exhausts | 18" RS6 Reps | Brushed Alum Mirrors | Phatbox | RS4 Pedals | RS4 Gear Knob

Oh yeah another thing you will probably need is a torque wrench.

If you don't have these parts it might be quite expensive to buy them and may not be worth it over taking it to a mechanic.

Quote Originally Posted by oxblood8 View Post
    Oh yeah another thing you will probably need is a torque wrench.

If you don't have these parts it might be quite expensive to buy them and may not be worth it over taking it to a mechanic.

Sometimes fathers have uses :) Agreed that to do this safely and properly you need a certain number of the right tools. If you are really going to make a life out of maintaining your own cars then buy up, if you find lying on your back in a heatwave or the bitter cold less enticing, especially as you get on a bit, just don't kid yourself and farm out the job. You'll save yourself a bit in the long run.

There is an old jungle saying that if you have a $10 head, buy a $10 helmet, so even axle stands around $100 a pair, good trolley jack to get it up isn't cheap and the list goes on and on. A good and understanding missus goes a very long way too and they don't come cheap either.
    C5 RS6: Sportec, Milltek & Wagner -- B5 RS4 : tastefully modified -- Audi 1.8 quattro 132 Kw -- UNIMOG 404 TLF8

Quote Originally Posted by RS-Rated View Post
    Hi All,

Happy New Year. I just purchased my bucket list car, a B7 RS4 marking the beginning of a very long love affair haha!

Just wondering whether any fellow enthusiasts know where I can purchase some KW V3s from at a reasonable price? The rear right suspension is making some crazy knocking noises... looks like itís had it. The previous owner spent over $5K to have the front DRC replaced (only 300km ago) so thinking itís best to have them all taken out and avoid future problems.

Iíve enquired at a couple of places, all have quoted around $4k just to supply + $700-$1K to fit... they also need to order the Coilovers from overseas with a 4-5 week wait.

Is that a decent price to pay? Iíve had a look online and have found places in the US (like ECS Tuning) that have the Coilovers for around $3K AUD when converted. Would it be better to buy from overseas? I know there are taxes and duties involved but not sure how much either..

Appreciate any wisdom and knowledge!

Cheers
    Shant

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

These guys are the distributor for KW in Australia last time i looked into it https://www.scuderia-autoart.com/

Give them a call to see what they can do.

You only need to do the rear sway bar & leave the front as is.

I've got KW V3 on my car & the ride is great, but not cheap.