Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: B7 RS4 - KW V3 Coilovers - Where to buy/fit in Sydney?

1. Default B7 RS4 - KW V3 Coilovers - Where to buy/fit in Sydney?

Hi All,

Happy New Year. I just purchased my bucket list car, a B7 RS4 marking the beginning of a very long love affair haha!

Just wondering whether any fellow enthusiasts know where I can purchase some KW V3s from at a reasonable price? The rear right suspension is making some crazy knocking noises... looks like itís had it. The previous owner spent over $5K to have the front DRC replaced (only 300km ago) so thinking itís best to have them all taken out and avoid future problems.

Iíve enquired at a couple of places, all have quoted around $4k just to supply + $700-$1K to fit... they also need to order the Coilovers from overseas with a 4-5 week wait.

Is that a decent price to pay? Iíve had a look online and have found places in the US (like ECS Tuning) that have the Coilovers for around $3K AUD when converted. Would it be better to buy from overseas? I know there are taxes and duties involved but not sure how much either..

Appreciate any wisdom and knowledge!

Cheers
    Shant

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Congrats on a nice car, you'll love it. Does sound like the DRC has had it. For mine, just replacing it did wonders. While most suspension options can be made to work, I question the worth of the adjustable suspension as you sure won't be under it every day tweeking it for each trip. Standrad springs with bilstein or koni dampers make a huge difference, I've done that on both my cars and they handle better than needed on the cross section of roads encountered around this country.

Re purchases, PM me if you are interested and I'll fill you in on my experiences with the various companies and freight options. Freight, taxes and duties can be a lot more than you might envisage so that converted price might sound good on it's own but I've found lately that local purchases can be quite attractive IF all the dots line up.

Finally, stock levels in the US may not actually be what is inferred. I have just spend $1K and had to make several changes to the order as deliveries went right then right again.
    C5 RS6: Sportec, Milltek & Wagner -- B5 RS4 : tastefully modified -- Audi 1.8 quattro 132 Kw -- UNIMOG 404 TLF8

I replaced my DRC with some Koni shocks around 18 months ago and have been very happy with the result. Imported them from the UK. As they are just shocks, this setup maintains the stock springs.

If you are interested read this thread on RS246.

https://forum.rs246.com/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=118598

I found the supplier Steve really great to deal with. My dad and I did the install ourselves. Was pretty easy though in saying that we did have a hoist, but shouldn't be too hard if you don't.
    Last edited by oxblood8; January 11th, 2021 at 09:42 AM.
    Current: 2006 B7 RS4 Avant in Imola

Previous: 2004 A4 1.8 Turbo Quattro

APR Stage 1 | Bilstein PSS9 Coilovers | Remus Exhausts | 18" RS6 Reps | Brushed Alum Mirrors | Phatbox | RS4 Pedals | RS4 Gear Knob

The rears can be more difficult than the fronts. Get a really good spring compressor, not those deadly threaded rods with claws, and some good axle stands. Give you a good chance to check your rubber bushes, specifically the front upper arms. These chew out regularly.
    C5 RS6: Sportec, Milltek & Wagner -- B5 RS4 : tastefully modified -- Audi 1.8 quattro 132 Kw -- UNIMOG 404 TLF8

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by IchBautAuto View Post
    Congrats on a nice car, you'll love it. Does sound like the DRC has had it. For mine, just replacing it did wonders. While most suspension options can be made to work, I question the worth of the adjustable suspension as you sure won't be under it every day tweeking it for each trip. Standrad springs with bilstein or koni dampers make a huge difference, I've done that on both my cars and they handle better than needed on the cross section of roads encountered around this country.

Re purchases, PM me if you are interested and I'll fill you in on my experiences with the various companies and freight options. Freight, taxes and duties can be a lot more than you might envisage so that converted price might sound good on it's own but I've found lately that local purchases can be quite attractive IF all the dots line up.

Finally, stock levels in the US may not actually be what is inferred. I have just spend $1K and had to make several changes to the order as deliveries went right then right again.
    Thank's for the feedback mate. I'll drop you a PM - are you using the same Koni's as oxblood?

How do the Koni's handle day-to-day and when pushing the car a little?

I've read that thread on RS246 - didn't realise these were still available! That might be a better option (less expensive as well I assume), I don't plan on tracking the car so won't need all the adjust-ability that the KW's offer - all I'm after is reliability without negatively impacting current performance/handling. Have either of you changed the sway bars when moving to Koni's? I've read that it's recommended you change to a thicker rear sway bar when changing to coilovers as the DRC plays a big role and once removed there will be more bias/sloppyness in the rear?

Some photo's of my car Love the stance at the moment so don't need any height adjustment either.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Not sure where you are, but give the guys a call at EuropeanAutotech and see what they recommend. I think they normally lean towards the Koni's over KW..

I've got KW V3 (with the remote button thingie) on my V8 S5... They are a bit hard to be honest, even on the lowest setting (ok, so I'm also getting old!)

No, I ended up using Bilstein. I used Bilstein on my RS4 and very happy with that. Was going to try Koni on the RS6 just as a comparison but they were unavailable so bought the Bilsteins. Super happy with them, the B8 damper from memory, not adjustable. I have absolutely no issues with the suspension setup and handling. They have both had some speed and agility tests and no real world issues. I used to run other cars at Wakefield and would have no hesitation in using these there.

Personally I'd try the car for a while before thinking of changing the bars. I upgraded both F & R bars on the RS4 and while it is stiffer, it is also less useable in inclement weather. In fact when you enter a driveway at an angle you can easily have one wheel off the ground. On a race car you'd soften the bars as traction decreased, not easy to do on a raod car. I left the RS6 with the standard bars and frankly it is a better road car for it. My DRC was stuffed when I bought the car so can't really say if it would have been any better but I feel that what I have at the moment is exactly what I would have been chasing. So that is replacing the DRC dampers and leaving the OE springs and bars in place. That would also keep the ride height you like.

I didnt change anything but the shocks. I'm not one to push my car so for me, it's spot on. I can't notice any difference over the DRC to be honest.

I think landed here, they cost me around $750 and arrived quickly.
    Current: 2006 B7 RS4 Avant in Imola

Previous: 2004 A4 1.8 Turbo Quattro

APR Stage 1 | Bilstein PSS9 Coilovers | Remus Exhausts | 18" RS6 Reps | Brushed Alum Mirrors | Phatbox | RS4 Pedals | RS4 Gear Knob

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by oxblood8 View Post
    I didnt change anything but the shocks. I'm not one to push my car so for me, it's spot on. I can't notice any difference over the DRC to be honest.

I think landed here, they cost me around $750 and arrived quickly.
    I can't PM until I've reached 10-posts it seems!

Thanks for your real-world advice, appreciate it. I've got in touch with Steve from CRS - I'm going to purchase one of his kits.

He provides the valve caps and instructions on how to install which is great.

Any tips when installing based on your experience?

Have you had any issues since installing them?

Thanks alot.

Shant

10. Default

Quote Originally Posted by IchBautAuto View Post
    No, I ended up using Bilstein. I used Bilstein on my RS4 and very happy with that. Was going to try Koni on the RS6 just as a comparison but they were unavailable so bought the Bilsteins. Super happy with them, the B8 damper from memory, not adjustable. I have absolutely no issues with the suspension setup and handling. They have both had some speed and agility tests and no real world issues. I used to run other cars at Wakefield and would have no hesitation in using these there.

Personally I'd try the car for a while before thinking of changing the bars. I upgraded both F & R bars on the RS4 and while it is stiffer, it is also less useable in inclement weather. In fact when you enter a driveway at an angle you can easily have one wheel off the ground. On a race car you'd soften the bars as traction decreased, not easy to do on a raod car. I left the RS6 with the standard bars and frankly it is a better road car for it. My DRC was stuffed when I bought the car so can't really say if it would have been any better but I feel that what I have at the moment is exactly what I would have been chasing. So that is replacing the DRC dampers and leaving the OE springs and bars in place. That would also keep the ride height you like.
    Wow some 3-wheel action lol. I own a WRX as well and I get that on a daily basis when entering driveways. It's annoying in the wet though...

I'll run it on the OEM ARB for now and update you on how I go.

Separate question for you guys - have you had the intake de-flap done on your cars?