Thread: B8 - S4 - 3.0 TFSI - Common Issues Query? Burning Oil?

Default B8 - S4 - 3.0 TFSI - Common Issues Query? Burning Oil?

Hi Everyone,

I'm trying to clear up a few concerns in relation to the B8 V6 Supercharged motor in the S4 and others. I did do a search on here and everywhere to find out relaiable information but could not find anything concrete so thought I'd throw it out to you knowledgable guys who have lived with these beasts.

I'm aware of PCV Valve issues, water pump failure, DSG issues, injectors, coil pack, spark plugs and carbon build up.

Reports say about 20% of B8 S4s suffer the DSG issues with the mechatronics unit failing and can cost about $4,000AUD to fix.

However is the oil consumption on these things related to the piston ring issues that Audi have acknowledged and replaced on the 2.0ltr variants?

I've read people who have a B8 and have over 100,000kms and don't consume a drop, then I've read that people are putting in one litre with every tank of fuel. So I guess I hav a few questions in relation to resolving these issues.

I know that replacing the breather to a yellow one if it's black can help, as well as front crank main seal and updating ecm software.

If some B8 engines have it and some don't I would have thought that Audi must have changed something from a certain date onwards, of course a lot of these issues are resolved in the B8.5.

Was the engine piston ring issues fixed from a certain month and year onwards?
    Do Audi acknowledge and repair this in Australia still? (not holding my breathe)
    How much would it cost for a reputable VW engine shop to repair this, and who would that shop be within NSW?
    How effective is using thicker oil and a catch can in this situation?

Is it possible to upgrade the gearbox the newer Gen II DSG in the 8.5 relatively easily?

I find many contridicting views on the internet and I would much prefer the opinions to come from those on here who have driving the car in Australia. Also a lot of my research is from UK etc but also the posts are very old so more might be known now.

Sorry for all the words, I tend to have a thing for using more words than I need to.

I know every car has it's issues and I accept that. This really more about knowing what I could possibly be up for if I get a B8 S4. Unless the figures are totally crazy I doubt I would be pursuaded away from the B8. I just can't pin point if this happens to all engines that came out between a certain period of time.

Thanks for your time!

Kind Regards
    PKlifter
    A hopefull soon to be B8 S4 owner
    Last edited by pklifter; January 23rd, 2021 at 08:36 AM.

Update for those potential lurkers out there.

It seems that oil consumption may be high on the 3.0 TFSI engine, however it seems from my research at least, that this is mainly due to the PCV valve and potentially out of date software.

Some people are using 5W40 oil which also helps but it sounds like a temporary fix for those not wanting to spend the cash on replacing the PCV valve etc. Found a forum where one person had the PCV valve replaced my a mechanic and it took about 5 hours of labor to do. So shouldn't be too expensive.

Also looks like they run the same engine, albeit detuned (to save pissing off those S4 etc owners I guess) in the C6 A6 as well. Although looks like that particular variant did not come to Aus.

Most common issues are as you mentioned
    supercharger coolers leaking, most upgrade to front mount heat exchanger;
    stock cats blowing and crapping themselves, I’ve been told this will happen eventually even on a stock vehicle, but will be imminent as you perform upgrades.
    Yes the PCV is a main fault, as well as the thermostat and water pump.
    The dsg issue is common in the B8’s, some owners fit drivetrain mounts which help with slack, but if the mech unit is gone, it needs replacing..

I haven’t heard much of oil consumption on these motors, the 3.0 supercharged motor doesn’t burn like what the 2.0T motors can with oil ring issues, yet again there isn’t as many S4’s compared to A4’s.
    WAUZZZ
    Current B7 A4 2.0TQ
    APR
    B6 S4 JHM
    Past
    B5 A4 1.8TQ
    B5 A4 1.8T

4. The Following User Says Thank You to TheChenga For This Useful Post:

pklifter (January 25th, 2021)

Quote Originally Posted by TheChenga View Post
    Most common issues are as you mentioned
    supercharger coolers leaking, most upgrade to front mount heat exchanger;
    stock cats blowing and crapping themselves, Iíve been told this will happen eventually even on a stock vehicle, but will be imminent as you perform upgrades.
    Yes the PCV is a main fault, as well as the thermostat and water pump.
    The dsg issue is common in the B8ís, some owners fit drivetrain mounts which help with slack, but if the mech unit is gone, it needs replacing..

I havenít heard much of oil consumption on these motors, the 3.0 supercharged motor doesnít burn like what the 2.0T motors can with oil ring issues, yet again there isnít as many S4ís compared to A4ís.
    Noted. Thanks for the tip if I buy one I will definitely upgrade the front heat exchanger as a prioirty. It also seems that the coolers inside the supercharger seem to let go. So if I need to do the PCV valve, I will replace theromstat, water pump, coolers in the charger and hopefully don't have to touch the timing chain/tensioners though.

Thanks for your reply. I've read a lot of reports of B8 owners chewing through oil like there is no tomorrow. Some mentioned piston rings but it seems they (like me) where linking the 2.0 engine issues to the 3.0. Which after further digging does not seem to be the case, it really seems to be the PCV that causes that issue on the 3.0's.

Yeah I've come across the gearbox and transmission mounts. It really seems to help prevent movenment and increase launch times. Which is great as they are very cheap as well. Putting the gearbox and PCV issues aside it really seems like these are quite reliable.

Did you get a S4 B8? Post some pics if you did! Keen to see it, don't see many on the roads.
    WAUZZZ
    Current B7 A4 2.0TQ
    APR
    B6 S4 JHM
    Past
    B5 A4 1.8TQ
    B5 A4 1.8T

7. The Following User Says Thank You to TheChenga For This Useful Post:

pklifter (February 8th, 2021)

Quote Originally Posted by TheChenga View Post
    Did you get a S4 B8? Post some pics if you did! Keen to see it, don't see many on the roads.
    Yeah I did. Just waiting for some free time to clean her up and get some pics. Will post a thread up soon :)