Thread: Tyres wearing out on inside

Default Tyres wearing out on inside

I have a 2014 A5 Quattro and few days i got a flat tyre. I thought to myself I must of run over a nail as I still have about 50% tread my tyres were changed when I bought the car about a year ago.

When I went to change the wheel I noticed massive wear on the inside of the tyre where it has gone down to the string. I also noticed this wear is happening to all 4 tyres. I have since changed all four tyres and had a wheel alignment done however the tyre shop told me this is normal for Audi's AWD, is this true surely this can't be right that I have to change my tyres every year. My Audi has no modifications to suspension or wheels however I do have the 20" Audi wheels running 275x30x20.

Any ideas ?

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Patently obvious that you have an interference, probably with the suspension upright. This isn't tyre wear in the normal sense, rather there is a mismatch betwen your wheel and tyre spec and your car. Super dangerous on the sidewall, you will be defected if found and liable if involved in an incident. Hard to believe that anyone could fit a wheel and not notice the problem.

Might be an Audi wheel but is it approved for your car. There isn't anything more to be said here, you need to get it inspected and confirm the actual cause and then resolve it. Could be one of a number of issues and you do need to sort it before driving any further, ultimately it is unroadworthy even with new tyres.
    C5 RS6: Sportec, Milltek & Wagner -- B5 RS4 : tastefully modified -- Audi 1.8 quattro 132 Kw -- UNIMOG 404 TLF8

So called my local peppers suspension and they told me there is not much movement for making any changes to my camber or Toe on an Audi. They mentioned if I put more air in the tyres it will help. Not getting anywhere as everyone giving me different answers.

Last edited by Sam00; February 1st, 2021 at 03:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam00 View Post
    So called my local peppers suspension and they told me there is not much movement for making any changes to my camber or Toe on an Audi. They mentioned if I put more air in the tyres it will help. Not getting anywhere as everyone giving me different answers.

First thing, if these people have actually seen the tyre, then run a mile, that is totally unacceptable from any shop. How about we use some brain power here. Looking at the photo, the tyre wear is on the side wall, NOT the tread. Unless your tyre is totally flat, the sidewall doesn't contact the road (it has a different construction and no tread for starters). The wear pattern seems to be at 90 degrees to the road surface, which is roughly where your suspension upright is located.

I'm not going to waste space in typing up a tutorial on tyre wear. Google tyre wear patterns and you will see both camber and inflation wear patterns. Your inner tread is OK, you'll know if it was down to the metal. Appreciate that lots of people aren't techs but the world is really dumbing down if none wants to even think about the problem, just a little.

You'd need adjustable upper arms to change the camber or CASTER. The toe has plenty of adjustment available.You can also even out the camber with available adjustment but not make it more or less than the factory tolerance range.

It would seem that either the wheels are wider than allowed or the offset is wrong or the tyre may be rubbing on the knob that is on many Audi suspension uprights. Could have other causes too but they seem to be at the top of the list to check.
    C5 RS6: Sportec, Milltek & Wagner -- B5 RS4 : tastefully modified -- Audi 1.8 quattro 132 Kw -- UNIMOG 404 TLF8

Quote Originally Posted by IchBautAuto View Post
    First thing, if these people have actually seen the tyre, then run a mile, that is totally unacceptable from any shop. How about we use some brain power here. Looking at the photo, the tyre wear is on the side wall, NOT the tread. Unless your tyre is totally flat, the sidewall doesn't contact the road (it has a different construction and no tread for starters). The wear pattern seems to be at 90 degrees to the road surface, which is roughly where your suspension upright is located.

I'm not going to waste space in typing up a tutorial on tyre wear. Google tyre wear patterns and you will see both camber and inflation wear patterns. Your inner tread is OK, you'll know if it was down to the metal. Appreciate that lots of people aren't techs but the world is really dumbing down if none wants to even think about the problem, just a little.

You'd need adjustable upper arms to change the camber or CASTER. The toe has plenty of adjustment available.You can also even out the camber with available adjustment but not make it more or less than the factory tolerance range.

It would seem that either the wheels are wider than allowed or the offset is wrong or the tyre may be rubbing on the knob that is on many Audi suspension uprights. Could have other causes too but they seem to be at the top of the list to check.
    Thanks IchBautAuto appreciate your responses. Taking another closer look at my tyres I have noticed something. Could it be that I simply don't have enough air in them. From inside of the tyre it almost looks flat where the edge of the tyre is sitting almost flat on the ground, from the outside looks fine. I am running 32PSI?

Last edited by Sam00; February 1st, 2021 at 05:57 PM.

I don't think you are getting the seriousness of the cause and potential outcome.
    You could be running 10psi and that will not cause the damage you have discovered to the inside of your tyre.
    Please re-read the great advice from Ichy and act on it sooner rather than later is my advice.

Dingah

Quote Originally Posted by Sam00 View Post
    Thanks IchBautAuto appreciate your responses. Taking another closer look at my tyres I have noticed something. Could it be that I simply don't have enough air in them. From inside of the tyre it almost looks flat where the edge of the tyre is sitting almost flat on the ground, from the outside looks fine. I am running 32PSI?

Dingah

2015 SQ5 TDI Sold
    2017 RSQ3 Performance Sold
    2018 S4
    Mrs B's Tiguan R-Line + APR

Mate,I would take the advice these blokes are go wing you. They have a wealth of knowledge and only give good advice. At the end of the day just find out what width tyre etc they come with as standard and put those ones back on.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Morrie For This Useful Post:

Sam00 (February 2nd, 2021)