Thread: Used b9 S4 wagon and long term reliability

1. Question Used b9 S4 wagon and long term reliability

Hi there,

Have owned couple golfs (GTIs/R32/R) in the pass 10 years. Never a big fan of sedan and SUVs. My Mrs and I are looking to have a baby in the coming year. Hence, I am currently looking for a used B9 S4 to keep for at least 5-6 years. Most of the S4 wagons in my budget are MY17/18 and around 30-50k kms. I drive quit a lot, around 15,000-20,000 pre year. If I keep for 5 years that would pushing almost 150,000 kms on the clock. Is that possible? Would the car cost me a leg to fix all the potential problems? Also, resell value after 8 years? I would much prefer a used S4 than a brand new 45TFSI A4, if the reliability is good.

Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Xiang View Post
    Hi there,

Have owned couple golfs (GTIs/R32/R) in the pass 10 years. Never a big fan of sedan and SUVs. My Mrs and I are looking to have a baby in the coming year. Hence, I am currently looking for a used B9 S4 to keep for at least 5-6 years. Most of the S4 wagons in my budget are MY17/18 and around 30-50k kms. I drive quit a lot, around 15,000-20,000 pre year. If I keep for 5 years that would pushing almost 150,000 kms on the clock. Is that possible? Would the car cost me a leg to fix all the potential problems? Also, resell value after 8 years? I would much prefer a used S4 than a brand new 45TFSI A4, if the reliability is good.

Cheers!
    Eddie, it's an open ended question. There are a lot of high mileage cars around the world running probably better than those that get only a little use. After that it all depends............ the actual car you buy, how you drive and maintain it, there just is no definitave answer. Resale, it's a second hand Audi, means not much retained value. In 5 years we all may be facing increased taxes on petrol engines which won't help the cause. On top, it is still an S4, so not really a rare and expensive beast that someone is going to pay a lot for with 150K plus on the clock. Very few can make a business case for cars, it isn't a silly purchase so just enjoy the day and what ever eventuates in 5 years will be what it will be.
    C5 RS6: Sportec, Milltek & Wagner -- B5 RS4 : tastefully modified -- Audi 1.8 quattro 132 Kw -- UNIMOG 404 TLF8

If you are looking for a MY17/18, my suggestion would be trying to look for a Audi Approved Plus vechicle which gives you 2 years unlimited KMS manufacturer warranty.

I dont have a S4 but I have the SQ5 and the B9 wagon and IMO the S4 would be a prefect combo
    Current
    MK6 Golf R
    MY18 SQ5
    B9 Avant Quattro

Past Toys
    99 STI 300kw atw
    2001 R34 GTR VSPEC II
    A4 B7 2.0TQ S-Line
    JDM AT HEART