Thread: B7 RS4 - Help, wiring up aftermarket steering wheel controls.

Default B7 RS4 - Help, wiring up aftermarket steering wheel controls.

Hey All

I bought this universal steering wheel control to pair with my new Pioneer DMH-Z5350BT head unit

So for the wiring i've taken the harness that plugs into the head unit via the 3.5mm jack and hooked up the Ground, Key1, Key2 wires, then hooked the ACC wire up to the red wire from the head unit. Note: Left the ANT wire as I believe that is not required?

Here is a pic of the wiring harnesses for reference.

However when powering on the head unit, the "Steering Wheel Control" menu item stays greyed out. I have ensured that i have "Source Off" which I saw on a video online.
    One thing we noticed is that on the small black receiver box, there is a little red light inside of it. When I touch on the red power wire, the light goes on then quickly goes off. I am wondering whether that light should stay illuminated the whole time. If that is the case, then I may have received a faulty item. See pic below for location of red light (hole where red arrow is pointing).

Another question, in the first image. Where the green arrow is, am I supposed to plug this into my Aerpro harness as per the orange arrow below?

I have tried both plugged in and unplugged in the Aerpro and neither is working.

So in summary

• Should the red light on the little black receiver stay on the whole time (red arrow in image 3)?
    • Should I plug into the Aerpro harness as per the image above?
    • Am I correct in not attaching the ANT wire?

If everything is hooked up correctly, I am suspecting that I got a faulty unit.
    Current: 2006 B7 RS4 Avant in Imola

Previous: 2004 A4 1.8 Turbo Quattro

APR Stage 1 | Bilstein PSS9 Coilovers | Remus Exhausts | 18" RS6 Reps | Brushed Alum Mirrors | Phatbox | RS4 Pedals | RS4 Gear Knob

I would try little plug (green arrow) directly into back of headunit in the wired remote socket.

Quote Originally Posted by mike View Post
    I would try little plug (green arrow) directly into back of headunit in the wired remote socket.
    Yeah already done that

APR Stage 1 | Bilstein PSS9 Coilovers | Remus Exhausts | 18" RS6 Reps | Brushed Alum Mirrors | Phatbox | RS4 Pedals | RS4 Gear Knob

Starting with the simple things, the ANT wire is if you have a power antenna, you don't so you don't need it.

How are the steering wheel controls powered? Looking at the pictures its a bit hard to reconcile how it all goes together, what is the kit number and I'll have a Google and see if I can make sense of it.

You must be unplugging the head unit connector and plugging into what and then back to the HU. The jack needs to be plugged into the HU, that the comms link.
    Current - 2007 B7 RS4 Avant, APR Stage 3, Milltek with Hi Flo Cats, GruppeM intake, Sachs Clutch, Factory Ceramics, JHM Shifter, RS6 FBSTW, AMI & Hi Res RSNE
    Current - 2012 B8 A4, 2.0T Quattro Avant SLine
    Current - 2001 B5 S4 Imola Yellow Avant
    Current - 1989 B3 90 Quattro - 7A NA Engine, (Long Term Restoration Project)
    Current - 1984 WR Ur Quattro

The controls themselves have a CR2032 battery in each one. Its just a cheap eBay set so not sure if you could find info on it.

I've tried everything i can think of including the order in which to hook everything up, so i do this order

1. Unplug everything (including the socket into the headunit for power/speakers etc)
    2. Plug in SWC patch lead 3.5mm into back of head unit
    3. Attach SWC patch lead red wire to red wire in head unit harness
    4. Plug in head unit power & speakers socket
    5. Plug in SWC patch lead black 12-pin connector into the Aerpro unit (orange arrow above)
    6. Plug in all other Aerpro interface adapters back to the factory ones.
    7. Fire up head unit, go to setting, "Steering Wheel Controls" remains greyed out

These are the instructions that came with it.

swc1.jpg swc2.jpg
    Last edited by oxblood8; February 26th, 2021 at 09:35 AM.

OK, so there are 2 parts to the kit, the SW controls with wireless receiver and the Airpro module. Dumb question I assume the SWC receiver and AirPro are compatible?

I assume the connector that goes into the Airpro was premade and not assembled by you?

SWC control receiver plugs into Airpro module and the Airpro plugs into headunit?

Reading the instructions it talks about a yellow wire, which is the wireless receiving antenna, I reckon in your case its the grey wire, disregard what I said previously said in my last post about the grey wire, as I cant see a yellow one, you need to straighten this out and place it close to the SWC. The red LED in the receiver most likely is lit when it is receiving signals from the controls. Place the SWC controls close to the grey wire and see what happens.
    Current - 2007 B7 RS4 Avant, APR Stage 3, Milltek with Hi Flo Cats, GruppeM intake, Sachs Clutch, Factory Ceramics, JHM Shifter, RS6 FBSTW, AMI & Hi Res RSNE
    Current - 2012 B8 A4, 2.0T Quattro Avant SLine
    Current - 2001 B5 S4 Imola Yellow Avant
    Current - 1989 B3 90 Quattro - 7A NA Engine, (Long Term Restoration Project)
    Current - 1984 WR Ur Quattro

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Tas_Audi View Post
    OK, so there are 2 parts to the kit, the SW controls with wireless receiver and the Airpro module. Dumb question I assume the SWC receiver and AirPro are compatible?
    Not a dumb question, maybe its not compatible, however it is supposed to be universal

I assume the connector that goes into the Airpro was premade and not assembled by you?
    Yep that cable came with the Aerpro kit

SWC control receiver plugs into Airpro module and the Airpro plugs into headunit?
    Yep, as per this photo (i unhooked it slightly before taking photo)

Reading the instructions it talks about a yellow wire, which is the wireless receiving antenna, I reckon in your case its the grey wire, disregard what I said previously said in my last post about the grey wire, as I cant see a yellow one, you need to straighten this out and place it close to the SWC. The red LED in the receiver most likely is lit when it is receiving signals from the controls. Place the SWC controls close to the grey wire and see what happens.
    Yep straightened that out and when i press buttons on the actual steering wheel controls, the little LED lights up so it is receiving a signal.

However, again, the "Steering Wheel Controls" menu is greyed out on the head unit. I suspect its incompatible