Thread: Treating hardened, almost brittle leather

Default Treating hardened, almost brittle leather

Hey guys, I've recently and as far as I can tell without cause had a 'stretch mark' or something form on one of my rear seats - https://imgur.com/a/0qSYTto

The surrounding napa leather is all fine, still supple and flexible, but this is quite tough and feels as though it could crack easily.
    Wondering if there were any recommendations for leather repair or conditioning for something like this, or if I have to go down the route of having the seat-panel replaced.

Cheers

I would definately start with some leather cleaner... You'd be surprised what you will get on the cloth.

Do this a few times (let it sit for a day inbetween)... Once it's clean, then put on some conditioner..

That may be all it takes.

Check out the guys at Car Care products.

Search results for: 'leather cleaner' | Car Care Products Australia

I personally use the Duragloss cleaner and conditioner

Duragloss Leather Shampoo 236mL | Car Care Products Australia

Oh yea - I was sure nothing was spilled on there so didn't even think to try a cleaner, will give it a crack!

Long story short, no joy with cleaning + conditioning unfortunately. An auto trimmer said it's just the single panel that needs replacing so shouldn't be overly complex. Thanks for the help :)

Try lexxol otherwise you can spray it with a compound the rebuilds the leather

Some places have a kit to fix leather cracks and things like that

Quote Originally Posted by cliaz View Post
    Long story short, no joy with cleaning + conditioning unfortunately. An auto trimmer said it's just the single panel that needs replacing so shouldn't be overly complex. Thanks for the help :)
    Almost certainly something has been spilt on it but always a slim chance it is just that piece of leather which has taken a set. As it seems that it may need to be replaced, you could try saddle soap or a leather oil with planty of soaking for either option. Sometimes the older solutions work best. Failing that, I guess it is another panel required. There is also the off chance that you could find a used seat cover (the factory leather) which would keep it all original.
    C5 RS6: Sportec, Milltek & Wagner -- B5 RS4 : tastefully modified -- Audi 1.8 quattro 132 Kw -- UNIMOG 404 TLF8