Thread: B6 S4 - slow oil drip from 'central gutter'

1. Default B6 S4 - slow oil drip from 'central gutter'

As the title says, I've had a very slow oil drip in my B6 S4. My mechanic says it's common and likely from a gasket leaking into the 'central gutter', and not identifiable / rectifiable without significant effort. He's done thorough inspections from the bottom up a couple of times and not found any obvious signs of a leak.

Anyone have experience with this, specifically the 'central gutter' part of things? Totally new term to me.

Cheers!

Most likely valley pan gasket. I had that leak and it's hard to spot since it's under the intake manifold and will slowly drip down. In my case, I ordered the valley pan gasket kit with oil check valves & valve cover gaskets from ECS.
    Oil cooler is also a common leak location.

You could also add some dye to your oil then try and locate the leak with UV light if you want to pinpoint the exact spot.
    Last edited by TheChenga; March 17th, 2021 at 09:41 PM.
    WAUZZZ
    Current B7 A4 2.0TQ
    APR
    B6 S4 JHM
    Past
    B5 A4 1.8TQ
    B5 A4 1.8T

3. Default

re: the UV option - if it's the valley pan gasket which appears to be buried fairly deep (as per the writeup here https://tinyurl.com/44wyj3hk), would the UV additive be see-able?

Good info regardless, I'll see if I can't get that looked at - coming up on a 200k service anyway

Should be able to see it from under the car if it's leaking down. It's a good way to eliminate other potential oil leak spots.
    WAUZZZ
    Current B7 A4 2.0TQ
    APR
    B6 S4 JHM
    Past
    B5 A4 1.8TQ
    B5 A4 1.8T