Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Replacing B5S4 Headlining

Thanks for that. Look's like I'm spending the weekend on the turps then!!

2001 A4 B5 1.8T (APU)
    "Claudia "
    Factory Sports Pack
    no mods...as original as I can get it!

Just continuing this headliner thread…
    After quite a break, I finally got back to attacking my A4 headliner…it took the best part of a tub of ‘Glue-Rid’ and around 10 hours of scraping over a month (even with a basic respirator I could only stand the glue-rid fumes for so long at a time!) but I finally got enough of the old glue residue off the liner board to feel confident I’d be sticking the new liner to substrate. I tried that method of backscraping with a wood chisel, but in my case the glue residue still wouldn’t lift off sufficiently. I was able to get a fair bit off by GENTLY forward scraping a couple of centimetres at a time with the curved blade edge of a diving knife, and also scraping with a farrier’s hoof knife (a very sharp double-sided knife with a curled up, squared off tip, farriers use to dig out the underside of a horse’s hoof) which was great for getting into the folded edges, and nooks & crannies on the grab handle recesses. As you could imagine, this was very slow tedious work. I was also able to get off the last bits of the residue using my drill with a course nylon brush disk…using the edge of the spinning disc was still gouging the board a little, although not as bad as a wire one, but I found that laying the disc over flat, meant the bristles were hitting the board lengthways and as such didn’t gouge. I filled up one deep gouge mark with some gap filler and sanded it flat, gave the board a good wipe down with some turps to clean off any left over Glue-Rid, and then moved on to the re-covering.
    cleaned headliner.jpg
    Got myself a couple of spray cans of high strength/high temp headliner adhesive and a 2-by-1.5m length of headliner material. I went for the mid-grey ‘knit’ style, as that matched the original liner and the pillar trim. Armed with the confidence borne of watching a heap of youtube videos, I was pretty sure of what I was going to do…all up till I started getting the headliner around the large contoured front light bulge and sunvisor recesses. I like to think of myself as pretty meticulous and careful by nature, but it seems that no amount of care could get it to sit smoothly here without leaving big creases, corner ‘crows-feet’ wrinkles, and air pockets.
    arghhhh.jpg
    I can only assume that all those youtube videos are using a stretchy-er material, as my headliner seems to have very limited stretch. But after several very disappointing attempts, and knowing that my eye will always be drawn to any creases and fold marks every time I get into the car, I will take the liner board up to a trimmer and see what the pro’s can do. Hopefully it shouldn’t be too expensive, given I’ve already got the board out of the car.
    Man, I hate putting up the white flag!!!

2001 A4 B5 1.8T (APU)
    "Claudia "
    Factory Sports Pack

Yes I used a full tub of Glue Rid on my headliner. It also took me quite some time to do. I set myself up outside when I did it so I wasn't overcome with fumes. Before I glued the fabric to the backboard I rehearsed a couple of times how I would approach gluing the fabric down. Even with a plan in mind if I did another I would have a second person there to help to keep things in place, either that or grow a second set of arms. Just trying to keep the liner board and forming the material at the same time is a little tricky.
    Current - 2007 B7 RS4 Avant, APR Stage 3, Milltek with Hi Flo Cats, GruppeM intake, Sachs Clutch, Factory Ceramics, JHM Shifter, RS6 FBSTW, AMI & Hi Res RSNE
    Current - 2012 B8 A4, 2.0T Quattro Avant SLine
    Current - 2001 B5 S4 Imola Yellow Avant
    Current - 1989 B3 90 Quattro - 7A NA Engine, (Long Term Restoration Project)
    Current - 1984 WR Ur Quattro

All good pointers. What headlining adhesive did you all use? Would you use it again?
    C5 RS6: Sportec, Milltek & Wagner -- B5 RS4 : tastefully modified -- Audi 1.8 quattro 132 Kw -- UNIMOG 404 TLF8

Quote Originally Posted by IchBautAuto View Post
    All good pointers. What headlining adhesive did you all use? Would you use it again?
    Have a look 22/05/21 in this thread. Photo of glue used.
    Current - 2007 B7 RS4 Avant, APR Stage 3, Milltek with Hi Flo Cats, GruppeM intake, Sachs Clutch, Factory Ceramics, JHM Shifter, RS6 FBSTW, AMI & Hi Res RSNE
    Current - 2012 B8 A4, 2.0T Quattro Avant SLine
    Current - 2001 B5 S4 Imola Yellow Avant
    Current - 1989 B3 90 Quattro - 7A NA Engine, (Long Term Restoration Project)
    Current - 1984 WR Ur Quattro

Gotit, thanks. Assume from that, you were happy with that product. Have done some upholstery etc over the years but not so far any Audi products other than some sheepskin covers to protect the Alcantara panels in the front seats. The foam liner is a real obsolescence issue. I don't seem to have that in the A4 or RS4.
    C5 RS6: Sportec, Milltek & Wagner -- B5 RS4 : tastefully modified -- Audi 1.8 quattro 132 Kw -- UNIMOG 404 TLF8

Re-visiting this headliner thread, as I found out something quite interesting. I finally got around to getting my headliner material replaced by a trimmer. When I showed him the material I’d been trying to use (unsuccessfully) he said he can get stretchier stuff, so I got him to order it. In the meantime I was watching one of those Megafactory shows where they were lining things in a huge vacuum chamber. It inspired by to try and make a DIY vacuum while I still had the headboard with me. I went to a local bedding store and got one of their disused mattress bags (relatively strong plastic), got some rubber washers that had an inner diameter that would seal on the vacuum cleaner nozzle, and some rubber strips that I could clamp down to seal up the open end. I cut a small hole in the bag and glued the washers to each side to make the seal for the vacuum nozzle to suck the air out, then put the headboard with the previous liner material I’d bought into the bag (no glue, just wanted to see if it would work). Bloody hell…worked like a charm!!! The material sucked straight down to the board and filled into all the nooks and around all the bulges.
    headliner vacuum 3.jpgHeadliner vacuum 1.jpgheadliner vacuum 2.jpg
    The ‘creases’ in the photos are just in the plastic and not the material, it conformed perfectly around each contour. It still didn’t quite pull the material down all the way to the board on the sides of the large front light bulge but I reckon if I’d tried cutting an ‘X’ into the material in the centre hole, with the diagonals to each corner, it would have allowed a bit more ‘give’, so it could stretch down to fill into the side edges of the bulge. I was impressed, even if I say so myself!

I ended up getting the trimmer to do the headlining for me though, as I don’t like getting people to order things for me then reneg on them, but if I ever have to do this job again, then I know what I’ll be doing.

2001 A4 B5 1.8T (APU)
    "Claudia "
    Factory Sports Pack