Thread: SQ5 towbar purchase

Default SQ5 towbar purchase

Iím looking to get a towbar put onto my 2014 SQ5. I asked Audi Perth for a quote and almost choked when the quote came back to me Ö$3718 supplied and fitted. Has anyone in Perth gone through the process and can make a recommendation to a local supplier. I am wanting to ensure the towbar is fully compatible with the cars electrics so I might have to get Audi Perth to handle the Canbus connections.
    Current: SQ5 3.0 TDI, http://www.ozaudi.com/forums/webkit-...ddfb5/imagegif, Glacier White, Panoramic Sunroof, Red Callipers, B&O sound system, 20" alloys.

Q5 3.0 TDI , Deep Sea Blue Metallic, Electric Tailgate, Xenon Headlights, S-Line Sport / 20" Alloys, Audi Music Interface Sold

I'm not in the market for a tow bar just yet but have done a few cars in my time ( non audi).
    the actual installation of the tow bar is easy.
    The ecu plugs should come with it.
    Check what i found.
    https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/HAYMAN-R....m46890.l49286

I'd be looking at getting this and getting installed by a mechanic if you don't have the tech know how.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to jattsta For This Useful Post:

Billy3141 (June 6th, 2021)

Research this subject on the forum and you will find a detailed account of how I 'pioneered' the acquisition and integration of the Westfalia hidden bars on the SQ5.
    Once my new SQ5 arrives I will be repeating the process but going through genuine Westfalia stockist and qualified fitters is now far easier and I am looking at around $2650 fully fitted and coded to have this delivered to and fitted in Canberra.
    I believe the Westfalia stockist is in Maroochydore.

Dingah
    Dingah

2015 SQ5 TDI Sold
    2017 RSQ3 Performance Sold
    2018 S4
    Mrs B's Tiguan R-Line + APR

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Dingah For This Useful Post:

jbostock (June 18th, 2021)

Hi Dingah,
    I contacted Brad at Australia Tow Bars in Maroochydore and have ordered the Westfalia Tow Bar and OEM wiring kit.
    He was very knowledgeable and was a real pleasure to deal with. He will ship it all tomorrow directly to the WA fitter and the job should be complete next week.
    Thanks for your recommendation.
    Regards,
    Billy
    Current: SQ5 3.0 TDI, http://www.ozaudi.com/forums/webkit-...ddfb5/imagegif, Glacier White, Panoramic Sunroof, Red Callipers, B&O sound system, 20" alloys.

Q5 3.0 TDI , Deep Sea Blue Metallic, Electric Tailgate, Xenon Headlights, S-Line Sport / 20" Alloys, Audi Music Interface Sold

I love it when a forum comes together... (slight plagiarism from an old show!)

Quote Originally Posted by Dingah View Post
    Research this subject on the forum and you will find a detailed account of how I 'pioneered' the acquisition and integration of the Westfalia hidden bars on the SQ5.
    Once my new SQ5 arrives I will be repeating the process but going through genuine Westfalia stockist and qualified fitters is now far easier and I am looking at around $2650 fully fitted and coded to have this delivered to and fitted in Canberra.
    I believe the Westfalia stockist is in Maroochydore.

Dingah
    I've just purchased for my MY18 Q3 a Westfalia hidden towbar including vehicle specific wiring harness from: https://australiatowbars.com.au/ (they are apparently the AUS distributor).

There are several other EU brands that come in at about $200 cheaper. Cost, including delivery to ACT) was $1500. Local guy who has done many Westfalia towbars before, charges $450 flat to install plus coding. So really somewhere over $2k all up. You can save a couple of hundred with other brands, but none of the ones I explored had vehicle specific wiring kits. I am assuming you could get a non-hidden towbar for around $1500-ish, I liked the hidden concept. I also went for the 13pin round EU plug and bought a 13 pin round to 7 pin flat converter because that seemed the more robust (the round fits the dropdown/hide away concept).

Westfalia A40V Detachable Swan Neck Towbar - YouTube

I just had one fitted to mine. Removable standard style hitch. Excellent fit thru the rear panelling. $1100ish.

Getting mine installed on a 2011 Q5 on Monday. Will let you know how it goes. Price from memory was ~$900-1000 drive away.