Thread: New member, new Audi owner!

1. Default New member, new Audi owner!

Hi all!
    After having many aussie and japanese cars, I decided it was time for something Euro.. proud new owner of a 2000 B5 1.8t Quattro, GP edition. She's kinda rough, but, mechanically great, very clean and well maintained. Good basis for mods, first on the cards past the inevitable maintenance items and then we'll see!

Community here looks great and supportive, look forward to many entertaining and helpful posts!!

Welcome, rare to find someone just taking up the B5. So, great car and hope you enjoy it. I'd recommend that you spend a few weeks reading up on old posts (go back 10 years to when the car was still fairly new) and see what worked for others. It is nowhere near as expensive as the 6 cylinder to mildly mod but you can spend a LOT without trying.

Issues, many of the accessory / aftermarket sources have dried up as it's now 20 years old. You'll need to be creative and do a lot of searching for stuff that other people are selling. It isn't a standing start car by nature, designed for the higher speed roads in parts of Europe so what you are looking at may and may not suit the car. It was close to $70K new fully loaded and "proper" maintenance will remind you of that. It doesn't last long on occasioanl oil changes and ignoring the rest.

Finally, after 20 years, there is a lot of small wear. Drive train slop is an example where you might have to replace a lot of items to get it back to near factory standard. Not much is easy.

Having got the bad news on the table, you can really enjoy this car so best of luck and hope to hear more as you get you feet under the table.
    C5 RS6: Sportec, Milltek & Wagner -- B5 RS4 : tastefully modified -- Audi 1.8 quattro 132 Kw -- UNIMOG 404 TLF8

3. Default

Hi ! Thanks for the kind words and introduction to the world of Euros.

I mostly bought it because I have a 91 Galant VR4 and its ironically easier to find parts for the Audi. Need something AWD and turbo I can enjoy without fear of destroying my actual investment! I'm well versed in constant maintenance, 7k oil changes on synthetic, check the plugs/ coolant etc.

In general the car, despite its age, is very clean, none of the rubber parts are worn etc. As it stands I am fairly sure either the rear wheel bearings are gone or the centre bearing, will need to investigate!

Also, re: mods, my plans are pretty simple ; some suspension work, maybe a brake swap from a newer car depending what fits (upullit has many newer Audis ), turbo back exhaust and probably a bigger turbo. Also plan to tackle an ME7.5 conversion, it has an AJL engine and I believe it is slightly easier. I'll find out

As I come from a Mitsubishi/ DSM background I have many ghetto tricks, first order of business is going to be filling the diff mounts with poly. Will make some posts !!

Good. Plenty to learn along the way as like them all, Audi does some things differently. Way back I had a 4wd laser (more accurately the japanese familia in a laser body) which was way under rated.

You mention centre bearing, do you mean the prop shaft bearing? That goes from time to time and getting the alignment right has caused some people issues. About the only thing you get from filling the front dif mount is noise transmission. There is a billet rear mount plate but you won't really have the HP to see anything from that.

Read up on Rockersteadys car on here, he knows the 1.8.
    C5 RS6: Sportec, Milltek & Wagner -- B5 RS4 : tastefully modified -- Audi 1.8 quattro 132 Kw -- UNIMOG 404 TLF8

5. Default

Yeah prop shaft bearing. The noise does sound central but it doesn't sound like a diff noise.

It's all good. The harder front mount improves shift feel, I've filled the diff mounts on a couple of (manual) cars and generally theres less clunking when shifting etc. Likely it's cause the cars are old.

Nothing makes me crazier than the shifter moving when I accelerate, I don't know why it just grinds my gears! My commodore ute has a (fake, but modified to feel tight) ripshifter and I filled the tranny mount and diff mounts with poly - made a HUGE difference to shift feel.

Today I'm looking at the shifter to see what I can do to tighten it up. I know JHM makes a very good and stiff shifter for it but $700 usd? Nah.

So far I will say Audi does some things very nicely, overall the design and aesthetic of the car is quite lovely. With the one exception that the cupholder is in the dumbest place ever.

Different brands, sometimes different outcomes. I replaced my front diff mount with a poly bush and the only change was noise. The gearbox shift system has it's own issues. I have a Tanoga short shifter from the UK that is brilliant but also beware that there may be differences in the mechanism with 5 speed fl cars. I've made no changes to my A4, they have all been on the RS4 which has (obviously) different equipment.

7. Default

I'm (of course) going to get one of the chinese short shifters - seen a few youtube vids and I think I can make it work well. I'm not sure what I'm going to do about the ball socket, it feels that a majority of the slop in the shifter comes from play at the shift ball - sikaflex may not help me this time!

Pulled off the wheels and I'm now fairly sure its rear bearing noise - got some Febi bearings coming, not looking forward to removing the rear arms but thems the breaks right?

Also found a golf MKIV GTI ECU at upullit (018b off the top of my head), when I get the requisite cables I'll swap it out and flash a different tune onto it.. little bit of extra power until I can find all the bits and motivation to do an ME7.5 swap, right ? Turbo miraculously has no shaft play, and it doesnt appear to have been replaced.. what is this, people maintaining their cars? A miracle!