Thread: Replacement Key for MY18 Audi Q3

Default Replacement Key for MY18 Audi Q3

When I bought the Q3, it came with only one key (my bad didn't really see that in the advert and didn't push a second key) so I thought I'd get a spare (I've heard horror stories of losing the key and being literally locked out of the vehicle).

Sent the details to a local Car Key guy here in Canberra and he says he can make the Key and code it at my place for $350, which I initially thought was a bit expensive.

So I rang up Mr Audi and said how much for the key. He sud $1,025.00 (yes that's thousand not hundred). Gave me some BULL**** about sourcing from Germany, coded to the car and since it was a special order I'd need to pay up front, how would I like to pay? I politely told in I wasn't going to proceed (he seemed quite surprised).

So is that about the going price, I must admit $350 seems like a bargain now?

And does anyone have experience with aftermarket keys?

Thanks

That's pretty reasonable if it includes coding. I went through the same ordeal for my RS4, Audi wanted $1,250 for a new key and coding or just $550 to code the key if I supplied on its own.

I found a guy local to me who supplied the key (had a genuine Audi key fob), cut and programmed all for $250.

Just make sure this person can program the key to the car as well (immobiliser and all), the guy that did mine had the special kit, actually connecting into the ECU of the car, coding etc.

350 is reasonable especially if they are mobile and come to you, could find cheaper if you get a few more quotes, also can depend on the quality of key/remote parts they use. Most are cheaper ones they still do the job.
    If you do happen to lose your only key, you'll be spending $$$$ to get a key made up and cut using the VIN.
    WAUZZZ
    Current
    B7 A4 2.0TQ
    APR
    8P A3 REVO
    B6 S4 JHM
    B8 S4
    Past
    B5 A4 1.8TQ
    B5 A4 1.8T
    B5 S4 GIAC

Quote Originally Posted by RS-Rated View Post
    Just make sure this person can program the key to the car as well (immobiliser and all), the guy that did mine had the special kit, actually connecting into the ECU of the car, coding etc.
    Hi,

Thanks for the update. Yes he supposedly has all the kit (his business is called Canberra Car Keys and he has a good number of 5 star reviews, so I'm assuming he knows what he's doing. I guess I'll find that out). He come to your nominated site and does the coding.

Kevin

Quote Originally Posted by TheChenga View Post
    350 is reasonable especially if they are mobile and come to you, could find cheaper if you get a few more quotes, also can depend on the quality of key/remote parts they use. Most are cheaper ones they still do the job.
    If you do happen to lose your only key, you'll be spending $$$$ to get a key made up and cut using the VIN.
    Hi,

Thanks, yes that's why I'm getting the second key cut and programmed just in case the one and only key goes splat or gets lost. In the long run, like most of these things, it's just another insurance policy I guess and, as you note, I'll be bleeding $$$ if the key does go awry for whatever reason.

Kevin

Quick update.

The local guy could not program the key (MY18 8U) although he said he'd done it previously, but the MY18 might have added something 'extra' that his decoder could not decode. I rang almost all of the 'we can do any car' key makers in Canberra and they all said take it to Audi. Got onto a couple of 'we can do any keys for any make' in Newcastle (I can get up there and visit my daughter), and they all said go to AUDI. I have to say, at $1025 I think I'm being fleeced when $350, although expensive, seems like a reasonable price.

So if anyone knows of a company (Canberra pref, Newcastle, Sydney) that can do the MY18 8U Q3 keys, happy to hear from you. Otherwise I'll be paying the AUDI tax.

Thanks.

what about giving a few VW dealers a call. Might be the same 'system' that they are using, and are usually cheaper (or even Skoda).

Quote Originally Posted by KevinQ3 View Post
    Quick update.

......................... they all said go to AUDI. I have to say, at $1025 I think I'm being fleeced when $350, although expensive, seems like a reasonable price.

.......................... Otherwise I'll be paying the AUDI tax.

Thanks.
    Welcome to Audi. If you ever progress to the RS versions there is a thing called the RS currency unit. About $1K a unit so you're in that ball park now. Excess technology is why some of us have stayed back with the analogue models but you can't stop progress, so they say. Could be worse though with the RS3 grill and radar unit apparently costing some $7K so maybe the bright side is you are $6K up on someone else.
    C5 RS6: Sportec, Milltek & Wagner -- B5 RS4 : tastefully modified -- Audi 1.8 quattro 132 Kw -- UNIMOG 404 TLF8