Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fire Extinguisher Bracket B7 A4 (RS4)

Default Fire Extinguisher Bracket B7 A4 (RS4)

Does anybody have a fire extinguisher set up in their car? I'm looking for a bracket that hooks up to the passenger side seat. Searched the inter-webs and only one I found was in Lithuania :/

Would be good to get local if that's possible!

Cheers
    Shant

I have extinguishers in all my cars. They are all mounted in the boot though. My own view is that a Kg weight object potentially loose in the car interior through an impact or roll over is an avoidable disaster. Also, an inadvertant extinguisher discharge in the cabin would likely cause an accident and possibly be a serious health risk to some people.
    extinguisher.jpg
    C5 RS6: Sportec, Milltek & Wagner -- B5 RS4 : tastefully modified -- Audi 1.8 quattro 132 Kw -- UNIMOG 404 TLF8

I remember a few people back in the day getting brackets fabricated for passenger side seat mounts - I never tracked my B7 RS4 (did a few Audi Driver Experience days in Audi Australia's cars though!) but there was a number of Victorian-based owners who did regular track days in theirs and therefore had extinguisher mounts made up.

Not sure where you're based RS-Rated (should drop your location in your profile) but if in Vic it could be worth getting in touch with the Motorsport Co-ordinator at Club Audi Vic who may be able to give you the steer on the preferred supplier of the bracket mounts.

Quote Originally Posted by IchBautAuto View Post
    I have extinguishers in all my cars. They are all mounted in the boot though. My own view is that a Kg weight object potentially loose in the car interior through an impact or roll over is an avoidable disaster. Also, an inadvertant extinguisher discharge in the cabin would likely cause an accident and possibly be a serious health risk to some people.
    extinguisher.jpg
    If I can't find a seat bracket that would be my next choice. Good points though, a much safer option. I definitely need one in this car! What's your set up mate?

Quote Originally Posted by Alister View Post
    I remember a few people back in the day getting brackets fabricated for passenger side seat mounts - I never tracked my B7 RS4 (did a few Audi Driver Experience days in Audi Australia's cars though!) but there was a number of Victorian-based owners who did regular track days in theirs and therefore had extinguisher mounts made up.

Not sure where you're based RS-Rated (should drop your location in your profile) but if in Vic it could be worth getting in touch with the Motorsport Co-ordinator at Club Audi Vic who may be able to give you the steer on the preferred supplier of the bracket mounts.
    I thought I had my location displayed, now updated! I'm in Sydney unfortunately. Thank you though I may give them a call and see if they know anyone in Sydney or if courier is an option.

Firmly street setup in these cars. Just inside the boot in all of them, easy to reach. Extinguisher of your choice. Incidence of fire in these is so rare that getting conked by the extingusiher is just as likely to happen. The RS6 does have the battery in the boot so I have pondered on a plumbed setup as well because getting to the battery takes far too long. Hasn't been a priority as the risk factor is so low. Finally, on the street you may have as much need to put out a fire in someone elses car so portability is a huge bonus in real life.

I had a track car with CO2 etc etc and that was plumbed in to the engine bay and the boot so just pull the rip cord and bail out. No bonnets to open and allow a fire to flame up. The usual 12v main switch etc etc but of course, it was no street car.

That cable in the picture is a battery charger if you hadn't noticed. The parasitic load in the RS6 is pretty savage if you don't drive it daily (weekly) so far easier to just plug the charger in than get to the battery.
    C5 RS6: Sportec, Milltek & Wagner -- B5 RS4 : tastefully modified -- Audi 1.8 quattro 132 Kw -- UNIMOG 404 TLF8

Quote Originally Posted by IchBautAuto View Post
    If it's the OP's intention to do track days, you'll want to consider Motorsport Australia's (formerly CAMS) guidelines, specifically Schedule H which states:

Each Automobile in any competition other than a Non-Speed or Race Event, except where noted in specific Group/category/class regulations, must be equipped with a fire extinguisher which complies with the following conditions.

1.1 HAND-HELD FIRE EXTINGUISHERS

(a) Each hand-held fire extinguisher shall be secured using a metal bracket attached to the Automobile with only high tensile bolts or equivalent fasteners and/or sufficient clamp/s and must remain restrained under a deceleration or acceleration of 25g; and

(b) Must be capable of removal by the driver (or crew, where applicable) while seated in their normal respective position for competition with safety harness unfastened, unless varied by specific category regulations and without the aid of tools.

https://motorsport.org.au/docs/defau...rsn=d8a69263_2

IchBautAuto thank you sir. This is purely for street use, won't be tracking this car any time soon (can't if I wanted to with lockdown lol). Had a small fuel leak from one of the HPFPs so this was the nudge I needed to have one in the car. Never say never I guess.

Alister, thank you that's good to know if I was to track in the future; I'll do some research and see which avenue is most practical. There's some room under the boot tray near the battery, I may be able to fit a smaller extinguisher.

PS just discovered that the boot tray in the RS4 is made from carbon fibre!

What about this one:

https://kap.industries/product/audi-...isher-bracket/

I have a spare one (Porsche equivalent) from them that I bought last year if you want to purchase at a discount. It looks the same as the Audi one. I've ended up with two extinguishers/brackets so have been meaning to sell one.

Fits snug in front of the seat so not exactly what you were looking for but I find they don't get in the way there. Probably less so than in your other position.

Quote Originally Posted by RS-Rated View Post

PS just discovered that the boot tray in the RS4 is made from carbon fibre!
    Now thats class. The RS6 one is normal poly.

As per Alisters comments, some trackwork requires compliance with the body's regs although I'm at that stage of life where a cage would be a mandatory item if I were to have any more than a half arsed attempt.

Could I offer a consideration, placing the extinguisher under the boot tray could mean that it would be inaccessible with your boot loaded. May not apply to you but I do mostly of long distance so there is normally a full boot. I used to have a job where fire fighting was a bread and butter skill and accessibility and serviceability are key issues. Basically when my boot is FULL the extinguisher is still immediately available.