Thread: Ross-Tech VCDS HEX-V2

Default Ross-Tech VCDS HEX-V2

I was looking on tools4car.co.uk to get an ElsaWin factory repair manual and stumbled on this Ross-Tech HEX-V2 VCDS cable:

VAG COM VCDS 21.3 1990-2021 HEX CAN USB OBD 2 Complete Diagnostic KIT VagCom

Always wanted to get a diagnostic cable and this looks like a good deal, but I wanted to get some thoughts from the Ross-Tech experts here:

From what I found this is a version 21.3 and the current version is 21.9(?), not sure how much of a difference this makes?

It also cannot be updated for further coverage, so I assume that means it will only work on cars up to 2021?

I am still waiting to hear from them to see if it is limited to a certain number of VIN's, but I suspect it will have a 3-VIN limit.

What else am I missing here?

Thanks guys.

Why is it so cheap?. It is about 1/3 the rrp (other than postage to be added). The cable is the new version and not restricted in terms of the software, you just download the latest for free. It is almost certainly a 3 vin version but you should check it is new and unused otherwise one or more of the vin may have been used. All the info is on the website, just need to log in and read carefully. Best thing since sliced bread so note that not all actions using the cable register a vin from your total so you just need to read up and know what you are buying.
    C5 RS6: Sportec, Milltek & Wagner -- B5 RS4 : tastefully modified -- Audi 1.8 quattro 132 Kw -- UNIMOG 404 TLF8

Quote Originally Posted by IchBautAuto View Post
    Why is it so cheap?. It is about 1/3 the rrp (other than postage to be added). The cable is the new version and not restricted in terms of the software, you just download the latest for free. It is almost certainly a 3 vin version but you should check it is new and unused otherwise one or more of the vin may have been used. All the info is on the website, just need to log in and read carefully. Best thing since sliced bread so note that not all actions using the cable register a vin from your total so you just need to read up and know what you are buying.
    My thoughts exactly about the price, but I'll give it a try and see how it goes. Thanks.

It'll be a 'knock off' cable (despite looking pretty legit in the pics) and you'll be using a hacked version of the software to circumvent any checks for legitimacy.

From a purely practical perspective though, there'll be nothing wrong with using v21.3 of the software for current cars. It may not be able to support new gen cars as they come through though as you won't be able to update either the VCDS software itself or the cable's firmware.

Probably fine for 90% plus of people however.
    Last edited by Alister; October 6th, 2021 at 05:16 PM.

Thanks Alister.