Thread: Share project car workshop in Perth?

Default Share project car workshop in Perth?

No longer available.
    Last edited by Beaker77; October 11th, 2021 at 03:19 PM.

Welcome, good to see more Perth based people.

Thanks ML24WA. Are you working on anything at the moment?

Not really. I have a Q5 with some plans to do things over time, but time is something i don't really have...

What are you driving in Perth now?

Welcome to the forum Beaker77.

I like the sound of the shared workshop space - good way to store and work on project cars for likeminded individuals, and great to have access to a hoist and other specialty gear.

Have you got any Audi project cars on the go at the moment?

Nothing interesting yet ML24WA, not a good market at the moment with the global semi-conductor and IC board resin shortages creating havoc with car company supply chains. Seems to have driven the used car market through the roof.
    Got some good inspiration on the weekend though at Weekend Drive Group’s Warehouse Display event in Midland. Shout out to them as was a great turn out. Was very surprised to see a Mclaren Spyder and Senna GTR there, very exclusive. The Perth motoring scene has certainly grown up a lot since I have been away which is great to see. Did anybody else get along there? Has anybody gone on one of WDG’s drive days?

Quote Originally Posted by Beaker77 View Post
    Got some good inspiration on the weekend though at Weekend Drive Group’s Warehouse Display event in Midland. Shout out to them as was a great turn out. Was very surprised to see a Mclaren Spyder and Senna GTR there, very exclusive. The Perth motoring scene has certainly grown up a lot since I have been away which is great to see.
    Think there is one guy pretty much driving that - Laurence Escalante with the Lee Collection. Should be plenty of info online about his pretty special collection of cars.

Quote Originally Posted by Alister View Post
    Welcome to the forum Beaker77.

I like the sound of the shared workshop space - good way to store and work on project cars for likeminded individuals, and great to have access to a hoist and other specialty gear.

Have you got any Audi project cars on the go at the moment?
    Thanks Alister,

Yes that is the idea. In my experience there are a lot of people who would like to be part of such a workshop however opportunity doesn’t present. My philosophy is if you build it, they will come. The more people that get involved, the better the community becomes. Are you aware of much of a builders community in Perth or is it a bit limited and fragmented? Time will tell if there is a demand.

With regards to projects, I am just working through the local regs to see how ‘creative’ I need to be to do anything interesting. In the UK the regs are very liberal which allows you to put practically anything on the road. I am fan of resto mods so like to see old school audi’s refreshed with tasteful updates and tech. I have the capability in the workshop to design and fabricate bespoke composites utilising a 3D scanner, 3D modelling software and CNC mill so can be quite creative with the builds. At this stage I am considering either building a replica Audi 90 Quattro IMSA GTO (below)

IMSA GTO.jpg

or a convert a rescued A4 B5 into a V8 resto mod styled RS4. Once I have finalised my research on regs and approvals I will decide as the IMSA GTO would likely require an ICV approval which I understand the DoT is very reluctant to provide nowadays.

Will be sure to post a build thread once confirmed so anybody interested can follow along.

Quote Originally Posted by Alister View Post
    Think there is one guy pretty much driving that - Laurence Escalante with the Lee Collection. Should be plenty of info online about his pretty special collection of cars.
    Fortunate guy! I was used to seeing these types of cars in the UK, but didnt expect to see them here in Perth. In the UK I did the annual pilgrimage to Goodwood Festival of Speed which has to be the best car event of its type anywhere in the world. If you have heard of it, you will see it there. Definitely needs to be in your bucket list if you are a car guy.