Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Covid Servicing

Default Covid Servicing

I was being cautious and i reluctantly got my MY2014 SQ5 serviced at a Repco in my town because of Covid restrictions between metro and regional, and my poor car has been struggling since. It runs awful when cold, and it feels like it is driving into a headwind, like it has lost 15% of its snap! Fuel consumption is approx the same, but i have noticed that when overtaking at any speed, it 'shudders' as it accelerates and it doesn't really taper off unless you boot it. It initially chugged pretty hard at 2kms/hour when i was stuck in traffic once and i tried to get it recorded on film, but it went away before i could. I took it back and explained the problems to the mechanic and he kept it for two days but said that he couldn't find any fault. Since then it hadn't had that violent chug, but it then developed into this 'shudder'.

I was very nervous letting them service it in the first place and i practically begged for assurances that their oils etc were compatible enough that it met the standard that Audi have. Which they of course gave me. I was desperate and so i agreed to get it serviced there.

We have previously only had it serviced by Audi once, and one other time i think at German Technik - as we havent had it that long and this service is wildly different in feel.

I want to go back and show them the problem, but i feel like i might be endangering my cars health while they 'figure it out'.

Has anyone got any advice they can offer, with both the fault in the car, and also what to do about the servicing? I am happy to travel to get it serviced; is German Technik the best on offer? I am in Gippsland around Warragul.

Any help is GREATLY appreciated

Curious to know what did they do as part of the service - did they just replace the oil and filter and a few checks/inspection items?

Do you know what oil (including viscosity) and oil filter they used?

Echo Alister's comments. It's not like the old days with a "tune" required every service. There is very little that you can do to muck it up. The very first thing is a fault code scan. Then if you aren't able, get an expert to interpret the results for you. From there you may be in a better position to work out if Repco caused the problem or you were just unlucky and it is coincidental. They may not have used Audi spec oil or filters but these are not so likely to immediately cause an issue in them selves. They may trigger a fault code though and the scan will pick that up.

There are good and bad mechanics everywhere but as a matter of course, these cars require familiarity with their little foibles or you end up paying through the nose while you get charged for ongoing replacement parts until they luck upon the cause. As you can see, sometimes it is worth a little extra effort to get your car seen by someone knowledgeable.

I just wonder if they have left a sensor unplugged. I thought about gearbox but you mentioned the awful running when cold.
    Last edited by IchBautAuto; October 11th, 2021 at 05:40 PM.
    C5 RS6: Sportec, Milltek & Wagner -- B5 RS4 : tastefully modified -- Audi 1.8 quattro 132 Kw -- UNIMOG 404 TLF8

Default Covid Servicing

Quote Originally Posted by Mr B View Post
    I was being cautious and i reluctantly got my MY2014 SQ5 serviced at a Repco in my town because of Covid restrictions between metro and regional, and my poor car has been struggling since. It runs awful when cold, and it feels like it is driving into a headwind, like it has lost 15% of its snap! Fuel consumption is approx the same, but i have noticed that when overtaking at any speed, it 'shudders' as it accelerates and it doesn't really taper off unless you boot it. It initially chugged pretty hard at 2kms/hour when i was stuck in traffic once and i tried to get it recorded on film, but it went away before i could. I took it back and explained the problems to the mechanic and he kept it for two days but said that he couldn't find any fault. Since then it hadn't had that violent chug, but it then developed into this 'shudder'.

I was very nervous letting them service it in the first place and i practically begged for assurances that their oils etc were compatible enough that it met the standard that Audi have. Which they of course gave me. I was desperate and so i agreed to get it serviced there.

We have previously only had it serviced by Audi once, and one other time i think at German Technik - as we havent had it that long and this service is wildly different in feel.

I want to go back and show them the problem, but i feel like i might be endangering my cars health while they 'figure it out'.

Has anyone got any advice they can offer, with both the fault in the car, and also what to do about the servicing? I am happy to travel to get it serviced; is German Technik the best on offer? I am in Gippsland around Warragul.

Any help is GREATLY appreciated
    How many KM on car?

Does it mainly happen when cold and gets better once car warms up?

Does it mainly happen on part throttle?

Sounds like EGR valve is full of carbon buildup. I had the exact problem on other half’s 2014 SQ5 with 60K km on it.

I just pulled apart & cleaned it haven’t had an issue since.

Any decent euro mechanic sound know exactly we’re to look as it is common across all the 3L V6 tdi engines.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by mike; October 11th, 2021 at 09:20 PM.

Hi Alister, the service details are added in the picture here
    20211012_195938_resized.jpg

They explicitly told me that the oils used were to Audi spec. But it just doesn't feel right.

Quote Originally Posted by IchBautAuto View Post
    Echo Alister's comments. It's not like the old days with a "tune" required every service. There is very little that you can do to muck it up. The very first thing is a fault code scan. Then if you aren't able, get an expert to interpret the results for you. From there you may be in a better position to work out if Repco caused the problem or you were just unlucky and it is coincidental. They may not have used Audi spec oil or filters but these are not so likely to immediately cause an issue in them selves. They may trigger a fault code though and the scan will pick that up.

There are good and bad mechanics everywhere but as a matter of course, these cars require familiarity with their little foibles or you end up paying through the nose while you get charged for ongoing replacement parts until they luck upon the cause. As you can see, sometimes it is worth a little extra effort to get your car seen by someone knowledgeable.

I just wonder if they have left a sensor unplugged. I thought about gearbox but you mentioned the awful running when cold.
    They told me that they weren't able to get a fault out of it at all (some scan tools are better than others?) and they then said that they phoned their audi mate in Melbourne who gave him some advice as to what to look for but couldn't find anything.

I am happy to pay for any servicing, it was more being in lockdown that i was getting desperate.

Quote Originally Posted by mike View Post
    How many KM on car?

Does it mainly happen when cold and gets better once car warms up?

Does it mainly happen on part throttle?

Sounds like EGR valve is full of carbon buildup. I had the exact problem on other half’s 2014 SQ5 with 60K km on it.

I just pulled apart & cleaned it haven’t had an issue since.

Any decent euro mechanic sound know exactly we’re to look as it is common across all the 3L V6 tdi engines.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    150k, we've put 40k on it over two years - nothing like this ever -the engine and power transfer has always been smooth and predictable

The shudder doesn't ever go away, but the car does run better (less noise) when it is warmer

It mainly happens with a gradual throttle. Like 15-40%

We had a new EGR cooler put in less than a year ago with German Technik and they flushed everything out. I took it for a 2 hour highway driving last week which is when i noticed that it was present at different speeds and throttle positions

I would love to know how to do stuff like that but I lack the confidence (and knowhow hehe)

I might need to find a Euro mechanic closer to Warragul

The Penrite Oil used does have the VW 504 00 / 507 00 specifications that's needed for your car.
    A VCDS scan would be really helpful to further diagnose the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr B View Post
    They told me that they weren't able to get a fault out of it at all (some scan tools are better than others?) and they then said that they phoned their audi mate in Melbourne who gave him some advice as to what to look for but couldn't find anything.

I am happy to pay for any servicing, it was more being in lockdown that i was getting desperate.

Most mechanics won't have VAG friendly scan tools if they only see one every so often. VCDS is the gold standard if you aren't a factory workshop and the other options vary from good to awful. It is the first thing to do for any and every suspected fault and you can run a 6 monthly scan as a health check if you are one of the OCD enthusiasts.

All that said, the OBD flags measured faults but the cause can be one of a few things so it doesn't usually just say replace this and it'll be OK. An example is one fault could be a failed solenoid valve or a vacuum leak or........... The expert has a better idea of where to look without just charging you for every replacement option.

Yea, we're all in lock-down and most shouldn't be driving much so the car will survive if you delay the service a bit.

Anyway, for you the item that stands out as being a "possible" cause as arising from the service is the injector fuel cleaner. The battery condition is another remote possibility and that would be an existing fault. Nothing else on the service schedule is likely to have caused an issue.
    C5 RS6: Sportec, Milltek & Wagner -- B5 RS4 : tastefully modified -- Audi 1.8 quattro 132 Kw -- UNIMOG 404 TLF8

Quote Originally Posted by IchBautAuto View Post
    Most mechanics won't have VAG friendly scan tools if they only see one every so often. VCDS is the gold standard if you aren't a factory workshop and the other options vary from good to awful. It is the first thing to do for any and every suspected fault and you can run a 6 monthly scan as a health check if you are one of the OCD enthusiasts.

All that said, the OBD flags measured faults but the cause can be one of a few things so it doesn't usually just say replace this and it'll be OK. An example is one fault could be a failed solenoid valve or a vacuum leak or........... The expert has a better idea of where to look without just charging you for every replacement option.

Yea, we're all in lock-down and most shouldn't be driving much so the car will survive if you delay the service a bit.

Anyway, for you the item that stands out as being a "possible" cause as arising from the service is the injector fuel cleaner. The battery condition is another remote possibility and that would be an existing fault. Nothing else on the service schedule is likely to have caused an issue.
    Cheers for that. I have contacted Repco head office and they have asked for all the available information as they look into it. I phoned Audi and they do not recommend Engine Flushes or fuels injector cleaners as part of their service as it can dislodge built up carbon or metal fragments. I will do a bit more reading about these engine cleaners. Thanks for the tip. The battery has been in need of a replacement (any ideas where to get it done?) but it has always still run perfectly until the moment I got it back from service.

Mike (below) seemed to think that it could be a carbon buildup, which is consistent with a cleaner in the engine. I will keep you apprised of the situation as it develops. Thanks again